Paydays

eh... 3 years at my company now and i still havnt gotten my direct deposit to work. so i have a few checks stack up before i goto the bank every time.

so they throw you in a dingy, toss it off the side of the ship and tell you to go singlehandedly take out someone that the power of the whole ship somehow can't manage to do? pass

from my understanding snipers don't really deploy from ships

it's usually a team of two, a shooter and a spotter who is usually a more experienced sniper. their main job is recon, they go deep behind enemy lines, stalk advancing troops, report on enemy movement, observe and make themselves ready to take out a key target if necessary. their job isn't to do something an infantry unit can't, rather to eliminate high value targets (officers, radio operators, artillery, communications equipment, etc) in order to hamper the enemy's ability to do their job. they exist more to stop battles before they start.

plus there's the psychological warfare aspect. going toe to toe with an infantry battalion is one thing but I imagine watching your buddies get picked off one by one while they're taking a dump or standing in line for food would probably strike a significant amount fear into someone

but yeah, pulling the trigger is like 10% of their jobs. they mainly focus on being invisible, getting into places no one else can get and being able to report back on what they see. the rifle is there just in case an opportunity to decapitate the enemy's leadership presents itself

Last edited:
I was kidding for the most part ;)
well I figured that :p I just like going into detail about this stuff, it fascinates me :)
I saw a special on tv about sniper school and it has a super high failure rate.

indeed, one of the highest, afaik

the gunnery sgt in charge of my recruiting station was a sniper for ten years before this billet, he's been passing along a lot of information on what he had to go through. said he had to cram more information into his head in those first ten weeks of the basic sniper course than he ever did in college. you have to suddenly become an expert in meteorology, topography, aerodynamics, anatomy, all four branches of ballistics and even psychology. they're taught to understand how the human eye works and how to best apply that to their stalking, they have to be able to do the math to calculate exactly how much a bullet will drop over half a mile in whatever given wind speed and barometric pressure...it's insane

all that and more and that's just the classroom stuff :/

Last edited:
the gunnery sgt in charge of my recruiting station was a sniper for ten years before this billet, he's been passing along a lot of information on what he had to go through. said he had to cram more information into his head in those first ten weeks of the basic sniper course than he ever did in college. you have to suddenly become an expert in meteorology, topography, aerodynamics, anatomy, all four branches of ballistics and even psychology. they're taught to understand how the human eye works and how to best apply that to their stalking, they have to be able to do the math to calculate exactly how much a bullet will drop over half a mile in whatever given wind speed and barometric pressure...it's insane

all that and more and that's just the classroom stuff :/

How does that actually work in practicality though. Do you spend traditional time in a classroom with books and then large amounts of time physically training yourself? I'd imagine that every moment you had would be devoted to training but this is something I can't quit wrap my head around. It's an intense course but how intense I can't imagine.

How does that actually work in practicality though. Do you spend traditional time in a classroom with books and then large amounts of time physically training yourself? I'd imagine that every moment you had would be devoted to training but this is something I can't quit wrap my head around. It's an intense course but how intense I can't imagine.

the basic course is ten weeks long but I'm not sure exactly how its split up. I think there's a couple weeks worth of classroom time plus field training in stalking, concealment, building a hide, etc before they even get to the rifle range

thing is that those ten weeks are only the basic course, there's additional types of training before they get sent to deployable units :eek:

so if you fail outta that school do you geta second choice or do they stick you with the basic grunts?

secondary MOS is 0311, rifleman :D I'd be assigned to the reserve unit here in chicago

I'd keep trying out at every indoc I could which varies because each unit holds it own schedule

from my understanding snipers don't really deploy from ships

it's usually a team of two, a shooter and a spotter who is usually a more experienced sniper. their main job is recon, they go deep behind enemy lines, stalk advancing troops, report on enemy movement, observe and make themselves ready to take out a key target if necessary. their job isn't to do something an infantry unit can't, rather to eliminate high value targets (officers, radio operators, artillery, communications equipment, etc) in order to hamper the enemy's ability to do their job. they exist more to stop battles before they start.

plus there's the psychological warfare aspect. going toe to toe with an infantry battalion is one thing but I imagine watching your buddies get picked off one by one while they're taking a dump or standing in line for food would probably strike a significant amount fear into someone

but yeah, pulling the trigger is like 10% of their jobs. they mainly focus on being invisible, getting into places no one else can get and being able to report back on what they see. the rifle is there just in case an opportunity to decapitate the enemy's leadership presents itself

this is about what I would've expected.

pretty cool mang.. be careful..

2 brothers in law, one's NSA (I believe this man probably knows 38 ways to kill you with a teaspoon) and done some "work" in afghanistan, and the other's job is to seek out and find IED's. prayin he makes it home when he's supposed to next month..

bang.