Out of State moves

We have put a lot of thought into the cities on the list, but are willing to take suggestions. The requirements are, they must be in the western US, not in california, warmer then here (preferably no snow), have a good IT job, and a 4 and preferably 2 year college.

We have put a lot of thought into the cities on the list, but are willing to take suggestions. The requirements are, they must be in the western US, not in california, warmer then here (preferably no snow), have a good IT job, and a 4 and preferably 2 year college.

Uh....if you want warmenr...Seattle is probably not it. Yes, not as much snow, but it does rain nearly every day in the Winter. I like the rain ( I grew up in Salem and Portland), but someone who is used to the sunshine, might go a little stir crazy.

I DON'T GET THE WESTERN BULLSHIT. ATLANTA HAS ALL OF YOUR LIST SAVE THAT ONE.

Who has ever made an out of state move? What can you tell us about it? How did the getting a job process go? What about finding a house (we will be renting to start)? Any tips on making a smoother move?

Anyone have any information on living in either Albuquerque, Seattle, Las Vegas, or Phoenix?

April doesn't count, cause she just moved in with someone else.

Silly its spelled TAMPA. Not Albuquerque, Seattle, Las Vegas, or Phoenix?

my family hauled ass across the country 3 times. But i was a kid, so all i had to worry about was when i could play with my toys again. :D

Texas to Michigan to California to Ohio

Move to Columbus Ohio

Sure you get snow, but there is a metric fuck ton of stuff to do here. Its really amazing how much this state has to offer.

I've moved from Washington
To Hawaii
To Arizona
To North Carolina
To California
To South Carolina
To Puerto Rico
To Kansas
To Virginia (4 moves in Virginia)
To Ohio

Someone once told me that moving is one of the top 3 stresses in life. I must like stress, because I have moved over 10 times since graduating high school.

So..... what I have learned after all my moves is this:

1. If you can afford it...hire a moving company. Make sure you hire someone who will give you a quote before the move and that quote states that they will not go over the quoted price.
2. If you can not afford to hire a moving company, sell as much stuff as you can before you move.
3. If you have to drive your own stuff to the new city...make a mini trip out of it. Especially sicne you have kids. Travel 8 to 10 hours a day...only. Stop at some cool tourist like places. See that giant ball of yarn. Take some pictures at the scenic overlook. Make the trip as much of an adventure as possible.
4. Try to find a place to live before you move. I know this can be really hard, but with the advent of digital camera, you can pretty much see every square inch of a home in your email.
5. Do not rent a place for more than 6 months. Once you move to the new city you are going to find out first hand about all the neighborhoods and soon learn exactly what part of town you want to live in. Do not tie yourself to something that may not be in the neighborhood you want it to be in.
6. Find some local forums and start reading and posting. As you have learned from here, there are a lot of friendly and helpful people out there. They will give you lots of opinions and advice.
7. Get yourself set up with a temp agency before you move to the new city. (If you do not get a job before moving.) A temp agency is a good way to get your foot in the door, keep an income coming in and to meet some people.
8. Finally, remember that the move will not go perfectly. be prepared for something to go wrong. Take it all in stride and have as much fun with it as possible.

Also...move to Seattle!!! I love Seattle. Great city, great people, but it is very, very expensive to live there.

As a person who was moved more times then I care to count. This would include 3 different high schools in three years. I give this post 5 stars.

I've moved from Washington
To Hawaii
To Arizona
To North Carolina
To California
To South Carolina
To Puerto Rico
To Kansas
To Virginia (4 moves in Virginia)
To Ohio

i dont even want to count how many times i moved.

1980 Born in Ft. Worth Texas and moved...
1982 to Oscoda Michigan house
1984 to Castle AFB California POQ housing
1984 to Atwater California house
1985 to Merced California house
1988 to fairborn Ohio apartment
1988 to WPAFB base house
1992 to different base house
1995 to house in fairborn
2000 to apartment in fairborn
2001 to friends house in bath township
2001 to apartment in kettering
2002 to another apartment in kettering
2003 to apartment in fairborn
2004 to house in fairborn

i may move once more. But only if the neighborhood goes to shit... which i think it will.

Columbus is technically not western US. But yes tons of IT jobs that are great paying.

well, yea. I consider anything west of the Mississippi 'west'. But the western states are over rated. Gimme the Appalachia's and poor coal towns over yuppi west coasters any time.

... i lie. I really love the rockies.

There's 3 houses for sale to the right of my house.

a 5 minute drive to work, or 50 minute drive to work... hmmmm...

my neighborhood has been iffy. The meth lab bust, the basement chicken raising illegal mexicans, the white supremacists, and more recently the drug dealer that was shot...

its getting me a bit worried.

a 5 minute drive to work, or 50 minute drive to work... hmmmm...

my neighborhood has been iffy. The meth lab bust, the basement chicken raising illegal mexicans, the white supremacists, and more recently the drug dealer that was shot...

its getting me a bit worried.
50 minute drive to work where you kids will be in one of the best school systems in Ohio and you can actually leave your key in the door overnight without worrying about anything. ;)