One deer down, 3 to go

Cheers dude!

"Coyotes may not be hunted on Sundays", lolwut? Do they need that day free to attend church?

Most east coast states don't allow any hunting on Sundays.

Here in Washington, we have:

Spring bear
Spring turkey
Fall bear
Fall Turkey
Archery deer all of Sept and again all of Dec.
Muzzle loader deer in early oct and again in early Dec.
Rifle deer in late oct and again in late Nov.
Archery elk early sept and again late nov
Muzzle loader elk Late sept and again early nov
Rifle elk in October only

The state is divided into Game Management Units and each GMU has it's own requirements and seasons. Some GMU's have a 3pt minimum, some have a 4pt minimum, and some are any deer, etc. In Washington, we count points on one side, not both sides. A 4pt minimum can have 4pts on one side and say 2 on the other. We call that a 4x2, not a 6pt like they do back east.

I wish I liked venison.

Sounds like you have never had meat that was taken care of properly. PM me your address and I'll send you a steak if I get enough to spare along with cooking instructions and I promis you, you'll change your mind. For a few months after deer season, I almost can't even stomach beef because I'm so used to the flavor of venison. I have had bad deer. I grew up with it. My dad would barely take care of the meat after shooting a deer and then cook it until it was gray all the way through. Bleh.

I wouldn't want to eat a small wild dog. Gross. Feral hogs, however, are exquisite. They are leaner than domestic pork, and far, far tastier. They make bacon that will grip your tastebuds and stroke your colon. And there are millions of them tearing up the U.S. in uncontrolled numbers. In many places they are a nuisance that you can shoot on sight. In Texas you need a license, and then it's year round slaughter time.

Last edited:
I wouldn't want to eat a small wild dog. Gross. Feral hogs, however, are exquisite. They are leaner than domestic pork, and far, far tastier. They make bacon that will grip your tastebuds and stroke your colon. And there are millions of them tearing up the U.S. in uncontrolled numbers. In many places they are a nuisance that you can shoot on sight. In Texas you need a license, and then it's year round slaughter time.

Why is it gross?

Why is it gross?

First of all coyotes are carnivorous scavengers, so I'd be worried about parasites and trichinosis. Cook the sh*t out of it or make sure someone else did. Second, dogs and cats are not tasty (I've tried bits of both overseas.) Bear isn't tasty either, and they share a lot of characteristics. Coyotes are probably gamey and sinewy. Predatory animals in general do not taste the way you probably want your meat to taste, and they stink to high heaven when being prepared and cooked. I'd obviously eat any of them if I had to and not complain, but it just doesn't sound pleasant at all right now.

Last edited:
First of all coyotes are carnivorous scavengers, so I'd be worried about parasites and trichinosis. Cook the sh*t out of it or make sure someone else did. Second, dogs and cats are not tasty. Bear isn't tasty either, and they share a lot of characteristics. Coyotes are probably gamey and sinewy. Predatory animals in general do not tsate very good, and they stink to high heaven. I'd obviously eat any of them if I had to and not complain, but it just doesn't sound pleasant at all right now.

Parasites are in pretty much all meat.

My coworker disagrees about dogs not being tasty.

Also, taste is arbitrary.

Parasites are in pretty much all meat.

My coworker disagrees about dogs not being tasty.

Also, taste is arbitrary.

I'd try it, I just don't expect to like it. At all. Dog is terrible. You can marinade it, but just the meat by itself is horrible. Just horrible. Not a pleasant experience.

Regarding parasites, be especially careful when eating carnivores and omnivores. An herbivore by itself may acquire parasites through ingestion of contaminated water, via in utero infection, etc., but carnivores can acquire them from those sources AND from eating infected herbivores.

First of all coyotes are carnivorous scavengers, so I'd be worried about parasites and trichinosis. Cook the sh*t out of it or make sure someone else did. Second, dogs and cats are not tasty (I've tried bits of both overseas.) Bear isn't tasty either, and they share a lot of characteristics. Coyotes are probably gamey and sinewy. Predatory animals in general do not taste the way you probably want your meat to taste, and they stink to high heaven when being prepared and cooked. I'd obviously eat any of them if I had to and not complain, but it just doesn't sound pleasant at all right now.

Cougar meat is devine. Identical to pork. And bear is great too. A little fatty but it makes better sausage than any other wild game and when you render all the fat, it makes grease that makes the best pasteries. french chefs pay a mint for bear fat