On the list of things I'm going to hell for...

Sarcasmo said:
It's like a subgenre of pop culture at this point. Emo kids are typified by the music the listen to, the eye makeup they may or may not wear, the glasses, clothes, style of hair they have, everything. They tend to magnify and dramaticize every single thing that happens to them and use it as fuel for heart-wrenching angsty poetry and/or blogging.

Everything is a big deal to them and they blow everything out of proportion because they have never had to work for a thing in their lives and don't yet know how to assign values to things or prioritize and separate what is important from what is drivel. They're directionless and bored, which is what happens when life is too easy.

Plus theyre just fgts

gotcha. i think i get the stereotype now. thanks for briefing me...i guess i'm old, as i don't know these things anymore, the same as not knowing many of the bands on the radio anymore. geez. never thought i'd FEEL old.

Sarcasmo said:
It's like a subgenre of pop culture at this point. Emo kids are typified by the music the listen to, the eye makeup they may or may not wear, the glasses, clothes, style of hair they have, everything. They tend to magnify and dramaticize every single thing that happens to them and use it as fuel for heart-wrenching angsty poetry and/or blogging.

Everything is a big deal to them and they blow everything out of proportion because they have never had to work for a thing in their lives and don't yet know how to assign values to things or prioritize and separate what is important from what is drivel. They're directionless and bored, which is what happens when life is too easy.
And their warped little hearts bleed for every half cocked do gooder cause that comes down the pike

Sarcasmo said:

I don't really think of them as wearing certain clothing. Someone can certainly be emo without wearing the glasses and messenger bag. That overly exagerated emotional bs is so annoying tho. They need to suck it up and get over themselves. :rolleyes:

so where did these kids come from? is it the latest generation thing? are these kids that have grown up with blogs and internet and text messaging and all that? i mean, how did they get to be emos? what's the cause behind it?

Thorn Bird said:
so where did these kids come from? is it the latest generation thing? are these kids that have grown up with blogs and internet and text messaging and all that? i mean, how did they get to be emos? what's the cause behind it?

I have a rant about this somewhere, so I'll sum it up right now.

I blame Bridget Jones, Danielle Steele, the Lifetime Movie network and Hilary Clinton. How many times have you heard a woman say that she wants a man that is more in touch with their feelings? How many women want a man that is sensitive to her moods and needs? How many parents were raised not to take personal responsibility for their own f'd up children (because it takes a village you know).

To me Emo kids are the epitome of a good idea taken too far. Sure, men need to be in touch with their 'softer side'. They also need to know when to suck it up and be men.

Men Don't:

Wear white leather anything.
Cry for no good reason other than 'they feel like it'.
Wear pink anything.
Blog about their daily routine.
Blog about their emotions.
Whine on their blog.
Advertise that they have a blog.
'Pop' their collars (1984 called, they want their fashion sense back).
Worry about whether they should be wearing Spring or Summer colors.
Wear make-up.

Thorn Bird said:

The same way people become anything else. They look at it and say "Yeah, I identify with that." Some people wear cowboy boots and follow the rodeo, some people pick up an axe and want to kill people, some people listen to whiny fgt bands complaining about having to do homework and take the trash out and want to join the emo movement. *shrugs*

ChikkenNoodul said:
Golf gloves are acceptable

You know, I didn't even think about that. You're right of course, that list needs to have a disclaimer stating that it applies to everything but sports equipment.

What in blazes is the deal with that? And these geniuses are doing it with collars three times the size of the 80's collars too :lol:

I went over to a friend's house for drinks and shenanigans. His brother (18) and his brother's friends were over, most of them as Emo as you can get. One of the kids had not one, but two polo shirts on, solely for the ability to pop both collars at the same time.

I fear that Queer Eye for the Straight Guy has won our Children's war against overpopulation.