OMG The Matrix has your money

"Maybe you’ve started reading Rich Dad, Poor Dad or Dave Ramsey or Your Money or Your Life. Other people are trying to show you the way out. The trouble is, you set down the book and remember “I need a new belt!"

:hay:

but shoes, not belts, are my weakness. argh.

we've not done well. tho i WILL say I'm not in any debt, save the house and cars. but i certainly am a contributor to the matrix. what a sucker i am.

but dave ramsey is collecting dust under the coffee table. did that cot damn "write down ALL expenses" for 3 farking months (it was painstaking, seriously) and we now have an idea where it all goes. i think jan. 1 we will try to get on track. i sure as hell see myself at "60 breaking even". :mad:

but it's my fault. :tard:

"Maybe you’ve started reading Rich Dad, Poor Dad or Dave Ramsey or Your Money or Your Life. Other people are trying to show you the way out. The trouble is, you set down the book and remember “I need a new belt!"

we've not done well. tho i WILL say I'm not in any debt, save the house and cars. but i certainly am a contributor to the matrix. what a sucker i am.

but dave ramsey is collecting dust under the coffee table. did that cot damn "write down ALL expenses" for 3 farking months (it was painstaking, seriously) and we now have an idea where it all goes. i think jan. 1 we will try to get on track. i sure as hell see myself at "60 breaking even". :mad:

You can buy the books and try everything they say but I've realized that none that works unless you change your mindset.
My wife and I make good money (with her recent promotion and raise, she makes double what I make) and recently we sat down and wondered where is all that money we're making. We assume the money will be there and spend like there is no tomorrow. We've had to change how we think about money and about what we want.

I took the "writing down the expenses" thing a bit further... in order to project the money we would have on hand for the wedding, I set up a spreadsheet in which I can log each day's financial transactions and it goes until January 2009, I put in our weekly grocery allowance, gas allowance, all of our bills and recurring expenses and I can tell you with relative certainty, what we will have in our bank account on any given day from now until January 2009, provided we don't deviate too far from our budgets.

It's pretty OCD but our goal is to live completely debt free, and we'll be there with a good amount of cash in the bank by summer.

truuuuuuu.... what do you guys do for a living?

but yeah.. same for us. eatin out, buyin what we want. i have more clothes and pairs of nikes than any heterosexual man should really have. i have .. um.. 168 inches of rims on the two vehicles. i have 25 hats. my consumption has to stop. we probably make north of 6 figures (i'm a six figgy -----!!! lmao) now that mama finished school and is working full time, and we spend it. all. i've got a few grand in savings and that's it. :mad:

i say this not to brag. i think it's therapeutic. thanks again for the post. serious talk.

I took the "writing down the expenses" thing a bit further... in order to project the money we would have on hand for the wedding, I set up a spreadsheet in which I can log each day's financial transactions and it goes until January 2009, I put in our weekly grocery allowance, gas allowance, all of our bills and recurring expenses and I can tell you with relative certainty, what we will have in our bank account on any given day from now until January 2009, provided we don't deviate too far from our budgets.

It's pretty OCD but our goal is to live completely debt free, and we'll be there with a good amount of cash in the bank by summer.

lol, OCD.. but good for you.

it hit me this summer when i had a fellow teacher buddy who came over to help me with some house isht and i was like "let's go grab a bite to eat".

grown a$$ man carrying around a little lunch box with his food for the next few hours tellin me "man, I can't put that on the card, if the wife sees it she'll wonder why she's eating a sandwich and banana and I'm out gettin' BARBQ" told me one time he couldn't come see me at a gig (a bikini contest at that!!) because he just didn't have it in the budget. that if he came to the spot whatever money he spent there he would have to take out of his beer and chronic budget.

i mean, we just don't THINK like that. tho it certainly is much smarter than what i do. I'm too smart to be this dumb.

the daily log tho is just way too tedious for me.

i think we're gonna get ramsey-fied and just dedicate x amount to each expenditure and when that's gone it's gone. if we have 100 bucks to eat out with, for example, when that hundred is gone, we don't eat out.

again, it'll be tough. i've never thought like that. (and consequently have squat for retirement). arrrrrrgh.

truuuuuuu.... what do you guys do for a living?

but yeah.. same for us. eatin out, buyin what we want. i have more clothes and pairs of nikes than any heterosexual man should really have. i have .. um.. 168 inches of rims on the two vehicles. i have 25 hats. my consumption has to stop. we probably make north of 6 figures (i'm a six figgy -----!!! lmao) now that mama finished school and is working full time, and we spend it. all. i've got a few grand in savings and that's it. :mad:

i say this not to brag. i think it's therapeutic. thanks again for the post. serious talk.

this makes me sick to my stomach. (not a jab on you, sir. :D) we bust our asses around here just to make it each month...and with a six-figure income, not only can you seriously play but you can also seriously save. you could be HOME-FREE and you're wasting it...WASTING IT! i want to strangle you :p :fly:

you should really talk to someone and have them set up a budget for you so you can maximize what you're making...because you can really save a ton and still go out and have fun.

lol, OCD.. but good for you.

it hit me this summer when i had a fellow teacher buddy who came over to help me with some house isht and i was like "let's go grab a bite to eat".

grown a$$ man carrying around a little lunch box with his food for the next few hours tellin me "man, I can't put that on the card, if the wife sees it she'll wonder why she's eating a sandwich and banana and I'm out gettin' BARBQ" told me one time he couldn't come see me at a gig (a bikini contest at that!!) because he just didn't have it in the budget. that if he came to the spot whatever money he spent there he would have to take out of his beer and chronic budget.

i mean, we just don't THINK like that. tho it certainly is much smarter than what i do. I'm too smart to be this dumb.
Oh wow... yeah hey if SchmilK could start thinking like that we'd save a ton of money. He shops A LOT but it's mostly gadgets, gizmos and computer stuff... well that and food and his smoking stuff. He never can remember to pack a lunch to work. :fly:

It really is hard to get started, and the thought of "living on a budget" is enough to turn anyone off to the idea... but what we did was sit down with all of our expenses and from there went to see what (on average) we spent on everything every month. So we took those numbers, our income, and combined that with our financial goals and just made the numbers work. It only seems limiting when there is something we want but don't need... like a 50" tv or a wii or something like that... and then we just tell ourselves that right now we're trying to accomplish a goal, once our goal is met, then we will have extra money for fun stuff.

But i think that's the important thing, not just putting yourself on a budget and living cheap, it's having a goal in mind, that way you're actually working toward something and not just feeling like you're living on a leash.

the daily log tho is just way too tedious for me.

i think we're gonna get ramsey-fied and just dedicate x amount to each expenditure and when that's gone it's gone. if we have 100 bucks to eat out with, for example, when that hundred is gone, we don't eat out.

again, it'll be tough. i've never thought like that. (and consequently have squat for retirement). arrrrrrgh.

Oh we have everything going through a single joint account, and I just log onto the bank everyday and see the transactions, then put them on the spreadsheet. It takes just like two minutes a day and I always know exactly how much cash we have available.

I'm a super control freak, this is how I need to live. :lol:

this makes me sick to my stomach. (not a jab on you, sir. :D) we bust our asses around here just to make it each month...and with a six-figure income, not only can you seriously play but you can also seriously save. you could be HOME-FREE and you're wasting it...WASTING IT! i want to strangle you :p :fly:

you should really talk to someone and have them set up a budget for you so you can maximize what you're making...because you can really save a ton and still go out and have fun.

no offense taken. :heart: for the record, i bust my A$$ too.

but I agree with you. if we were smart about it, we could take a really, really nice vacation every year, for example. and we don't cause we spend our hard earned money on crap.

and we do have that whole baby thing which will be here sooner than you know it.

:tard:

that if he came to the spot whatever money he spent there he would have to take out of his beer and chronic budget.

This is why you'll only see me in a bar when I'm on vacation or someone else is buying these days. Drinkin' at home is cheaper and more relaxing :D

When I was going to the cigar bar every week, that was easily $100-$200 every Friday.......