OMFG UF's 1st Religion Thread *DEBATE DAWG*

Poll:

• Total voters
zengirl said:
What the hell? How do you answer that? I get a lot of pressure to subscribe to any religion. One half of my family wants me to be a Christian, the other half wants me to be Catholic, my soon to be in laws want us to get married Catholic.. that entails taking classes... lessons... :lol:

News flash.....Catholics are Christians

zengirl said:
You should come visit the bible belt sometime. I can't visit my family without them asking me, "Sarah, Have you accepted our Lord Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior?"

What the hell? How do you answer that? I get a lot of pressure to subscribe to any religion. One half of my family wants me to be a Christian, the other half wants me to be Catholic, my soon to be in laws want us to get married Catholic.. that entails taking classes... lessons... :lol:

Why can't we just be good people and exercise conscience and consideration along with tolerance and understanding? It seems to me that any religion has major problems incorporating the whole tolerance and understanding parts into their belief systems... even though the freakin bible teaches it....

1 Corinthians 13

Or you can substitute Love for Charity, depending on the translation... but it's my understanding that this very well known verse is telling Christians and Catholics alike to be understanding, loving, kind and tolerant.

:shrug:

Technically, Catholics are christians.

kiwi said:
No, those are Jehovah's Witness'. We believe that God wants all man to return to live with him in "paradise" and that everyone who works to obtain that status can. Unfortunately we all make mistakes which is where Christ comes in and suffered and died for our sins so we can repent and make things right.

Oh yes, thats right. I worked with one of the most hateful Jehovah's Witness, very opinionated people who pushed their religion on everyone. She would bring these fliers to work and say if I didn't accept her religion into my life I would be damned to hell. :omy:

...but I don't believe there is a heaven or hell... you just die and recycle into the earth.

Coqui said:
News flash.....Catholics are Christians
Any Catholic I've ever called Christian has shot me a look of death. Catholics find a very stark distinction between the two.

zengirl said:
Why can't we just be good people and exercise conscience and consideration along with tolerance and understanding? It seems to me that any religion has major problems incorporating the whole tolerance and understanding parts into their belief systems... even though the freakin bible teaches it....

qft

zengirl said:
Any Catholic I've ever called Christian has shot me a look of death. Catholics find a very stark distinction between the two.

Every Catholic I know, has never said that. There's Cathoic and Protestant. Both of those are all Christian.

Only difference is one sect of Protestantism saw corruption in the Church and the other sect got pissed because he couldn't divorce his wife.

zengirl said:

while catholics are christians, christian seems to have that "born again" stigma attached to it that catholics generally dont subscribe too

Coqui said:
Technically?

Belief in Christ? Check
Belief in God? Check

I think Catholics are 100% Christian in every way, shape, and form.

The beliefs are based on the same thing but the methods of achieving passage to heaven are a lot different. According to Catholics if you don't do it their way you're going to hell. So like...they believe in the same system but it's still like compairing say Republicans and Libertarians. :p

April23 said:
When I see nature, people, the universe, music, love, etc. I see science. Everything is a reaction of something else.

Same here. Very much so. I'm from a very scientific family (dad has a PhD in paleontology and geology) and have always been obsessed with astronomy (stars, not palm-reading), biology, etc. I was raised around it, and constantly exposed to it.

I'm one of the few people I know who actually equate science with God. Most people divide the two, and I've never understood that. God would be the ultimate scientist, and all science would stem from him since he created everything involved with it. Physics, mathematics, chemistry....every bit of it is pure natural scientific principle.

Also, science and nature operate on principles of pure logic (A happens because of B, and E results from the relationship of C and D, etc.) and to me God would be the same. In fact, assuming God is real, nothing could possibly operate via logical principles moreso than God.

I know, I'm weird. This is what happens when you read and think too much. It's like neural LSD.

Coqui said:
Every Catholic I know, has never said that. There's Cathoic and Protestant. Both of those are all Christian.

Only difference is one sect of Protestantism saw corruption in the Church and the other sect got pissed because he couldn't divorce his wife.
It's a moot point to argue really, if your only contribution is to challenge my distinction between Catholics and Christians then you've missed the point entirely and you're compensating for you lack of opinion with your typical know it all off track insight.

I'm neither Catholic nor Christian, I don't understand why you're trying to pound the point.

zengirl said:
It's a moot point to argue really, if your only contribution is to challenge my distinction between Catholics and Christians then you've missed the point entirely and you're compensating for you lack of opinion with your typical know it all off track insight.

I'm neither Catholic nor Christian, I don't understand why you're trying to pound the point.

Because it annoys me to no end to say that the original Christian religion is not Christian.

As to the rest of your point, I get where you're coming from. I don't try to prosthelyze (sp?) to someone who doesn't want to leanr nor will I push my views onto someone who doesn't want to know about them. As to the lessons, pre cana, is only a method within the church of trying to avoid divorce.....not necessarily teaching you about the Catholic religion. If you want to become Catholic, you go through RCIA which you do learn about it, however you are not required to become Catholic to be wedded to another Catholic.