OMFG UF's 1st Religion Thread *DEBATE DAWG*

Poll:

• Total voters
Sarcasmo said:
I'm spiritual but not religious. I can't look at nature, people, the universe, music, love, etc. without believing in a greater force. I just think there has to be a God in order for existence to have hundreds of thousands of complicated layers like it does.

When I see nature, people, the universe, music, love, etc. I see science. Everything is a reaction of something else.

April23 said:
I had spirituality as an option at first, but changed it thinking you guys would argue it the other way around. :sigh:
Some people practice religion because they're afraid not to, and that fear comes from the threats that other people instill in them. It isn't spiritual. It's like Sarcasmo said, it's political, and it's a means of man controlling man.

I dislike organized religion. How can a person tell another person that you're talking to your God wrong? But that has been the cause of more wars than anything else in history.

taeric said:
++

I don't know as that I believe in most religions, but I have found that I think most atheists are idiots. (Granted, this could simply fall into the category of most people that want you to know their religion leave a lot to be desired.)

Hmm...I haven't found a lot of atheists to be idiots...I have found a fair amount of them to be extremely egotistical and I'm sick to death of hearing from them. I get more lectures and sh*t from aetheists then I ever have from organized religion.

I was raised Catholic...and according to Catholocism if you're NOT Catholic you're going to hell. And there's a certain point in most everyone's life when you question this and can no longer really decide which religion is right. I have not seen anything in my life that disproves one religion over another. And that of course leads me to question the whole organized religion thing in itself...I think most organized religions do good for their communities though and I can see the value in them.

I'm just not at the point in my life where I can thoroughly examine all the options and decide which I actually believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
April23 said:
When I see nature, people, the universe, music, love, etc. I see science. Everything is a reaction of something else.

science can describe how things work, but not why or how they were setup to begin with.

zengirl said:
Some people practice religion because they're afraid not to, and that fear comes from the threats that other people instill in them. It isn't spiritual. It's like Sarcasmo said, it's political, and it's a means of man controlling man.

Would you say you believe in the whole Jesus concept?

smileynev said:
science can describe how things work, but not why or how they were setup to begin with.

I don't think we will ever be capable of knowing/understanding why we are here.

smileynev said:
Obviously the work of Richard Dawkins et. all is something you've never experienced.

Galen said:
Obviously the work of Richard Dawkins et. all is something you've never experienced.

Richard Dawson knows why we're here?? :eek:
dawson_richard.jpg

April23 said:
Isn't the mormon faith the one that has a set number of souls that can actually get into "paradise?"

No, those are Jehovah's Witness'. We believe that God wants all man to return to live with him in "paradise" and that everyone who works to obtain that status can. Unfortunately we all make mistakes which is where Christ comes in and suffered and died for our sins so we can repent and make things right.

Millions said:
Hmm...I haven't found a lot of atheists to be idiots...I have found them to be extremely egotistical and I'm sick to death of hearing from them. I get more lectures and shit from aetheists then I ever have from organized religion.
You should come visit the bible belt sometime. I can't visit my family without them asking me, "Sarah, Have you accepted our Lord Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior?"

What the hell? How do you answer that? I get a lot of pressure to subscribe to any religion. One half of my family wants me to be a Christian, the other half wants me to be Catholic, my soon to be in laws want us to get married Catholic.. that entails taking classes... lessons... :lol:

Why can't we just be good people and exercise conscience and consideration along with tolerance and understanding? It seems to me that any religion has major problems incorporating the whole tolerance and understanding parts into their belief systems... even though the freakin bible teaches it....

1 Corinthians 13

1 Corinthians 13

1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give away all I have, and if I deliver my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. 4 Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; 5 it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6 it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8 Love never ends; as for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For our knowledge is imperfect and our prophecy is imperfect; 10 but when the perfect comes, the imperfect will pass away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall understand fully, even as I have been fully understood. 13 So faith, hope, love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Or you can substitute Love for Charity, depending on the translation... but it's my understanding that this very well known verse is telling Christians and Catholics alike to be understanding, loving, kind and tolerant.

:shrug:

April23 said:
Would you say you believe in the whole Jesus concept?
I believe that Jesus was a great man who did a lot of good on Earth, but as for the whole immaculate conception and son of God thing... I think those are great fairy tales.