OMFG UF's 1st Religion Thread *DEBATE DAWG*

Poll:

• Total voters
kiwi said:
No, those are Jehovah's Witness'. We believe that God wants all man to return to live with him in "paradise" and that everyone who works to obtain that status can. Unfortunately we all make mistakes which is where Christ comes in and suffered and died for our sins so we can repent and make things right.

thats not true. jehovah's witness' believe that there are a set number from earth that will/have gone to heaven, 144,000. all others have the hope of life on earth or just plain dead.

zengirl said:
Any Catholic I've ever called Christian has shot me a look of death. Catholics find a very stark distinction between the two.

and any i've met would not have a problem with that

April23 said:
I went to a Catholic church once with my grandparents, the communion bread was nasty.

i went to a catholic wedding once, the first time ive ever been in a catholic church. i was so confused.

why_ask_why said:
while catholics are christians, christian seems to have that "born again" stigma attached to it that catholics generally dont subscribe too

and you'd think that any who claim to be christian would just try to be christ-like

Coqui said:
If you follow the Ten Commandments, you aren't going to hell. If you break lesser sins, and don't repent, you go to purgatory. That's the main difference when it comes to being saved.

jesus went to hell, not good enough for you?

fly said:
There is a limit of information available in the universe. If we grow exponentially long enough, we'll hit that limit.

Besides, its possible that through black holes and/or other cosmic events, we'll be able to see new universes being born. Once we do that, it should be relativly easy to understand our own. Possibly... :p

i dont agree. there will always be something to learn no matter how far we advance.

I guess I consider myself Lutheran now. I was a bad Catholic (howI grew up) so I am a good Lutheran!

BUt I don't think that you have to belive is any one God and I don't think that anyone is right or wrong. I think that it is important to have something to believe in even if it is just yourself.

I am a new old-school Christian, meaning I attempt to follow the teachings of Jesus consistantly and diligently while applying them to modern day life. I have studied the Bible and it's history, and gained an understanding of the laws of my faith through the context in which they were written. I consider the Bible to be a genuine and worthwhile artifact written by God through men.

thrawn said:
i dont agree. there will always be something to learn no matter how far we advance.
Sir, there is a limit of information available. Light can only travel so far in an expanding universe. Therefore, there is a limit to our universe and the information it can contain.

fly said:
Too bad I missed all these drunk posts...

that one was actually a serious question :p

faith in the koran, faith in god(s), faith in the bible, faith in what mom and pop told me happened right after he poked her in her hoohoo and i shot out her love hole? i wouldnt want to assume as to which one you were refering to before i comment on it.

thrawn said:
that one was actually a serious question :p

faith in the koran, faith in god(s), faith in the bible, faith in what mom and pop told me happened right after he poked her in her hoohoo and i shot out her love hole? i wouldnt want to assume as to which one you were refering to before i comment on it.
When I was referring to science? I was simply referring to the same blind faith that religion requires. If you're referring to myself, I mostly place my blind faith in science, but consider myself agnostic.