OMFG UF's 1st Religion Thread *DEBATE DAWG*

Poll:

• Total voters
Sarcasmo said:
One of the greatest photographs ever, and one that gave me goosebumps the first time (and sometimes whenever) I looked at it.

If God lives in space, this is him.

hour.jpg

They are incredible photographs... can't decide which to make my wallpaper. :hs:

Sarcasmo said:
That's another area where Christians differ drastically: the concept of grace.

Mormons subscribe to the belief that present actions and achievements are the keys to heaven. What you do now affects what happens later.

We also believe in grace, after you have done all you can, that's where Christ's grace comes in, we can't make it without him.

FlyNavy said:
So being a Lutheran means a get into heaven free card. PIMP

The Protestant faith was different. That started probably around a similar time, but that was about Martin Luther, this German guy who pinned a note on a church door saying, " 'ang on a minute!" But in German, so, "Ein Minuten, bitte. Ich habe einen kleinen Problemo avec diese Religione." He was from everywhere. So yeah and so the Protestant faith was sort of tacked on by Queen Elizabeth I a bit later. "Oh, principles! Thank God! We've got some principles." Nowadays, Church of England is much more, "Hello, how are you?" Much more a hobby-type... "Hello!" A lot of people in Church of England have no muscles in their arms. "Hello, yes...Do come in, you're the only one today! Now the sermon today is taken from a magazine that I found in a hedge. Now lipstick colors this season are in the frosted pink area and nail colors to match... And this reminds me rather of our Lord Jesus! Because surely, when Jesus went into Nazareth on a donkey, he must have got tarted up a bit…”

Now there's a philosophical question for you, and one that I can't answer. It just makes the most sense if you believe that God really did create us and loves us.

Can you put babies on spikes and still get into heaven based on grace? And if so, it still doesn't explain why you'd want to.

Beats the shit out of me. Seems like a pretty glaring loophole, but that's because we can't comprehend certain things with the tools we have to work with. Our brains are pretty amazing things, but I don't think they are able to calculate the equation of God's forgiveness or the variables involved. We can only think of things in human terms, and can only consider a concept like God's unequivocal love as a "loophole".

I don't have all the answers, but I have a hard time believing God would turn his back on anyone, especially when I look at my son and am completely overwhelmed at exactly how much I love that kid. I mean, it's ridiculous what he means to me. Completely fucking absurd. I would wade through hordes of brain-eating zombies for him, armed with only a fly-swatter and an annoyed expression.

fly said:
Agreed, but we're each a cog in the wheel of knowledge. Any information you post on the internet regarding photography or religion or anything adds to that...

I completely agree, we can learn more because of those in the past who figured it out and can teach us. We should never stop learning, no matter where we are in life.

zengirl said:
great argue the 2 religions I know the least about :mad:
:lol: it's cause I have little issue with other religions, the only ones that really bother me are the ones that forcefully impose their beliefs on others in addition to continually attempting to control world politics and finances for that very purpose. I have no problem with christians themselves but the religion is by far the most hypocritical I've ever heard of and it's caused more death and destruction in the name of a diety than all the others put together.

I found it funny while listening to the radio this morning that Mancow gets all up in a tizzy when someone mentions muslims "They're godless monsters who do nothing but kill YARG" when the god that he loves to make his listeners feel guilty about not believing has been the subject of two crusades, the holocaust, and the destruction of civilizations stretching from africa to australia to the amazon. Missionaries are church approved hitmen.

Sarcasmo said:
Now there's a philosophical question for you, and one that I can't answer. It just makes the most sense if you believe that God really did create us and loves us.

Can you put babies on spikes and still get into heaven based on grace? And if so, it still doesn't explain why you'd want to.

Beats the shit out of me. Seems like a pretty glaring loophole, but that's because we can't comprehend certain things with the tools we have to work with. Our brains are pretty amazing things, but I don't think they are able to calculate the equation of God's forgiveness or the variables involved. We can only think of things in human terms, and can only consider a concept like God's unequivocal love as a "loophole".

I don't have all the answers, but I have a hard time believing God would turn his back on anyone, especially when I look at my son and am completely overwhelmed at exactly how much I love that kid. I mean, it's ridiculous what he means to me. Completely fucking absurd. I would wade through hordes of brain-eating zombies for him, armed with only a fly-swatter and an annoyed expression.
My grandmother is presbyterian, and I asked her this question... She said that forgiveness doesn't mean absolution, that we can be forgiven the sins we commit on earth if we are truly sorry, and we ask God for forgiveness, but we are still accountable for our actions and will be "dealt with" when we die.

Sarcasmo said:
One of the greatest photographs ever, and one that gave me goosebumps the first time (and sometimes whenever) I looked at it.

If God lives in space, this is him.

hour.jpg
Its the Eye of Sauron!

Sarcasmo said:

:lol: babies taste like chicken

Also, this is yet another issue I have with christian religion. Some denominations believe that salvation is only available through acceptance of jesus, some believe in the grace you mentioned, others believe in purgatory. It's like General Motors...there are too many denominations with their own little quirks when deep down you're still driving a fucking Impala.

agnostic: I believe in a god, I simply don't think man can explain him/her/it

there's more to it then that, but I won't get in to it in this post