OMFG UF's 1st Religion Thread *DEBATE DAWG*

Poll:

• Total voters
fly said:
Agreed, but we're each a cog in the wheel of knowledge. Any information you post on the internet regarding photography or religion or anything adds to that...

The thing is, we could never know everything, because we're always creating new things to know about. We invent the internal combustion engine, then we have to figure out every possible way to improve it, how it would work in every condition, etc...

If you're limiting it to basic math, physics, whatever, then there's a theoretical limit. But I think if nothing else, mankind will have killed itself off long before then
:p

Fat Burger said:
Yet most "facts" we adhere to today (not just talking about evolution) are merely the best guess, and nobody feels like arguing.

Are we really so different from believing the earth was flat a few hundred years ago? I don't think so.
Galileo was actually put under house arrest and excommunicated from the church for his writings on the moon, the sun and the planets because they went against what the church believed the scriptures to say.

The fact that the church believed that the sun, moon and stars revolved around the earth caused one of the greatest astronomers and free thinkers of all time to be completely discredited from the religion, and thus the world... did you know that the church did not pardon Galileo until 1969... well after human space exploration was already underway.

:fly:

:lol: If you go to hell for being drunk, then all the catholic priests in the world are damned even if they aren't doing the altar boys. :fly:

zengirl said:
Galileo was actually put under house arrest and excommunicated from the church for his writings on the moon, the sun and the planets because they went against what the church believed the scriptures to say.

The fact that the church believed that the sun, moon and stars revolved around the earth caused one of the greatest astronomers and free thinkers of all time to be completely discredited from the religion, and thus the world... did you know that the church did not pardon Galileo until 1969... well after human space exploration was already underway.

you need t o learn the difference between stating something and believing it. the church knew perfectly well that Galileo's model of the solar system was more correct, motion of celestial bodies proved that the scriptures were wrong. they publicly claimed Galileo to be wrong and the bible to be right to maintain the pretense of it being absolutely correct

as for the poll, i have accepted drool as my lord and saviour. he has pretty hair

bungle said:
you need t o learn the difference between stating something and believing it. the church knew perfectly well that Galileo's model of the solar system was more correct, motion of celestial bodies proved that the scriptures were wrong. they publicly claimed Galileo to be wrong and the bible to be right to maintain the pretense of it being absolutely correct
That was my point, that even in the presence of truth the church would cast it aside as blasphemy if it went against scripture.

zengirl said:

:heart: JP2...

btw, he also said in not so many words that evolution is probably correct.

it's funny. galileo believed that science and the bible could be reconciled. he did mention that an interpreter of the bible may not always be correct. a bloodthirsty, power-hungry and stubborn church tried to blind people for centuries. a man who wanted nature and the bible to be explained together is being used as a tool.

You know, I skimmed through this thread, and I am actually quite impressed. Now as I was reading through it, I was tempted to start replying to certain posts, but I decided just to answer the OP and then go from there.

April23 said:
Where do you stand in all of this? Who, what, where, why and how? What influenced you to believe what you do?

Where do I stand?
Well I guess the The Nicene Creed summs up exactly where I stand:
I believe in (Romans 10: 8-10; 1 John 4: 15)
ONE God, (Deuteronomy 6: 4, Ephesians 4: 6)
Father (Matthew 6: 9)
Almighty, (Exodus 6: 3)
Maker of Heaven and Earth, (Genesis 1: 1)
and of all things visible and invisible. (Colossians 1: 15-16)

And in ONE Lord Jesus Christ, (Acts 11: 17)
Son of God, (Mathew 14: 33; 16: 16)
Only-Begotten, (John 1: 18; 3: 16)

Begotten of the Father before all ages. (John 1: 2)
Light from Light; (Psalm 27: 1; John 8: 12; Matthew 17: 2,5)
True God from True God; (John 17: 1-5)
Begotten, not made; (John 1: 18)
of one essence with the Father (John 10: 30)
through whom all things were made; (Hebrews 1: 1-2)
Who for us men and for our salvation (1 Timothy 2: 4-5)
came down from heaven, (John 6: 33,35)
and was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary (Luke 1: 35)
and became man. (John 1: 14)

And He was crucified for us (Mark 15: 25; 1 Corinthians 15: 3)
under Pontius Pilate, (John 19: 6)
suffered, (Mark 8: 31)
and was buried. (Luke 23: 53; 1 Corinthians 15: 4)
And on the third day He rose again, according to the Scriptures, (Luke 24: 1 1 Corinthians 15: 4)

and ascended into heaven, (Luke 24: 51; Acts 1: 10)
and sits at the right hand of the Father; (Mark 16: 19; Acts 7: 55)
and He shall come again with glory (Matthew 24: 27)
to judge the living and the dead; (Acts 10: 42; 2 Timothy 4: 1)
Whose Kingdom shall have no end. (2 Peter 1: 11)

Ok, so what else do I believe?

I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins. (Ephesians 4: 5)
I look for the resurrection of the dead, (John 11: 24; 1 Corinthians 15: 12-49; Hebrews 6: 2; Revelation 20: 5)
and the life in the age to come. (Mark 10: 29-30)

Why do I believe?
I ask myself this all the time. It never really hit me until my first year of university. I went to a private Baptist university, and was forced to take Biblical studies classes. From there I began to have a thirst for knowledge, and started investigating this christianity thing a little more. Little by little, I realized that christianity wasnt as horrible as I had once thought it was.

Now I am in Bible College (or was till the year ended) and I *hopefully* one day will enter ministry as my choice of carreer (I would love to be a childrens pastor)

Now, on the same hand, allow me to say this. Because I am so involved in church, of course now I see how things are really run, and to say the least, I am disgusted by the state of today's church. The politics, the legalistics, the everything that I think has ruined the church. The fact that the people who call themselves Christian are so unlike Christ it sickens me (guilty as charged)
But when you really get down to it, it's about personal relationship, not all the BS that you are lead to believe.

Ask FB, I am constanly complaing about how much I hate Christians, yet I am apart of a group, that as a whole are a bunch of idiots. *sigh*
I see it all the time, I am a mod at a (large) christian forum, and the stuff that goes on there, would make any believer (or non believer) sick. And it infuriates me.

I believe, and I always will believe, but I hate to associate myself with the Christian body... The judging, the finger pointing, the everything else is breaking my heart, and I guess I dont know how to handle it.

The only way I get through my days lately is living by Jesus words: Let he without sin, cast the first stone...

Anywho... yea *sigh*

fly said:
btw, some forms of science are no different than religion. It used to require faith that astronomy was correct and that the Earth did revolve around the sun. It used to require faith that the Earth wasn't created 6,000 years ago. It used to require faith that evolution was true.

Now we pretty much know these things as fact. Science can change from faith to fact, sometimes even overnight. That is something that religion will probably never do, and if it does, its too late.

which faith do you refer to?