Oh car gods, which car to prick?

cadillac_cts_silver_2003928.jpg

you end up getting more useful comparisons of actual fuel efficiency.

http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/02/buy-an-suv-save-the-planet/

We currently measure fuel economy in miles per gallon (m.p.g.), a number which is helpfully plastered in the window of every new car. However, less helpfully, m.p.g. is a very deceptive way of measuring fuel consumption. Here’s how it tricks us.

Consider the 2009 Toyota Prius, poster child for the environmental movement. The U.S.E.P.A. estimates the car gets an eye-popping combined highway/city 46 m.p.g. This is certainly an impressive achievement.

Compare this to one of those sinister S.U.V.’s that we greens love to hate, the 2009 Toyota RAV4 2WD. The Toyota is one of the more fuel-efficient non-hybrid S.U.V.’s on the market, but its combined m.p.g. is 24, which is well below the Prius’ 46. Ignoring the rebound effect (which I blogged about here), in a typical year (say, 12,500 miles of driving) the Prius uses 250 gallons less than the RAV4.

Now compare the RAV4 to the Land Rover Range Rover Sport. At 14 m.p.g., the Range Rover is a gas guzzler even by sport-ute standards. Let’s say we swap it for a RAV4. This would improve our m.p.g. from 14 to 24. This is an improvement, but it would certainly save less fuel than a switch from the RAV4 to the Prius, right?

Actually, no. In fact, upgrading the inefficient S.U.V. to a more efficient one would save a lot more fuel — 372 gallons per year — than the 250 gallons saved from the switch from an efficient S.U.V. to the most fuel-efficient car on the market.

Why does 10 m.p.g. matter more than 22? The reason is that the relationship between m.p.g and fuel savings is not linear but curvilinear. Ten m.p.g. at the bottom of the range matters a lot more than 22 m.p.g. higher up.

calculating gal/100mi is the same as calculating mpg except you reverse the division (and knock two digits off your mileage)

Last edited:
merc 4matic has nothing on subaru or audi plus on the whole they are far less reliable and the repairs are more expensive if out of pocket

I like some mercs though, don't get me wrong...just not for a primary car in CO

I'd not have a 4matic to be honest. I've never really heard any thing great about them.

Then again I don't need one in Texas.