Halp Official Tard-O-Matic Political Derpy Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, Hospice care is for the dying. Their job is to ease the passage of terminal patients out of this world.

20% of patients sent to Hospice are actually discharged before they die.

And the hospitals that have the highest rate of 'live-discharges' also, unsurprisingly, have the highest profits.

Fucking disgusting. http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...hospice-patients-discharged-while-still-alive

But the free market always makes the right choice!

No one will care for the dying if there's no profit motive :nev:

20621993_10155397886705498_8425644395449193019_n.jpg

So, Hospice care is for the dying. Their job is to ease the passage of terminal patients out of this world.

20% of patients sent to Hospice are actually discharged before they die.

And the hospitals that have the highest rate of 'live-discharges' also, unsurprisingly, have the highest profits.

Fucking disgusting. http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...hospice-patients-discharged-while-still-alive
Well I have to look into this more, but my understanding of hospice regulations are that an MD has to certify that the patient is at risk of death in a certain amount of days (60? 180? Have to look it up). Then they can be recertified for more 180 day cycles.

My dad died at home with hospice some years ago, and my grandmother just recently in a hospice facilty. Ten zillion times more comfortable and less horrific than a hospital in both cases.

Well I have to look into this more, but my understanding of hospice regulations are that an MD has to certify that the patient is at risk of death in a certain amount of days (60? 180? Have to look it up). Then they can be recertified for more 180 day cycles.

My dad died at home with hospice some years ago, and my grandmother just recently in a hospice facilty. Ten zillion times more comfortable and less horrific than a hospital in both cases.
the article also only briefly touches on the fact that the folks they're counting toward the rate of discharge also included people who then have home-hospice services, which depending on the needs or desires of the patients can be preferable. those people still have care, they're just receiving the care at home instead of as an inpatient.

Status
Not open for further replies.