Thread Nixie tube clocks!

gee

Finally a new goddamn title
Sep 29, 2012
Halifax
Marklar
₥35,633
Apologies if trying to flog stuff on the forum offends anyone. I have a bunch of these that I'm trying to get rid of:

RZcwD.jpg

Nixie tube clocks. I designed these back in '06 and sold them a couple of times on genmay. I recently came across a box of leftover nixie tubes, and decided to update the clock design and make a bunch more of them to use up the tubes.

I'm selling them for $80 as a kit of parts to solder together yourself, and $100 for a fully built and tested clock. At the $80 price I make about $5, I'm doing these for fun more than anything.

Domon's also gonna be making wooden cases for them when his hand heals up.

Anyone interested?

• Gravy
Reactions: Petunia
They're very quiet... there's a faint hiss that comes from the HV power supply in the clock, but you pretty much need to have your ear right up to the clock to hear it. Wouldn't suggest trying as there's 180VDC exposed on the outside of the clock and getting shocked across the ear can't be pleasurable.

I've got one of them here in my office at work, I can't hear it at all - it's overpowered by the building HVAC, my computer, traffic outside, general "office murmur", etc.

I wanted one of these when you dis the first run years ago. Oddly enough I still have no monies. :(

$80 is a sweet price. Did you by chance need any upholstery work done? Maybe we can do a partial trade?

They're very quiet... there's a faint hiss that comes from the HV power supply in the clock, but you pretty much need to have your ear right up to the clock to hear it. Wouldn't suggest trying as there's 180VDC exposed on the outside of the clock and getting shocked across the ear can't be pleasurable.

I've got one of them here in my office at work, I can't hear it at all - it's overpowered by the building HVAC, my computer, traffic outside, general "office murmur", etc.

Wait, this thing can shock me? :wtf:

Yup. There's 180VDC exposed on the header on the front, pins underneath, pins on top, etc. You can safely touch the tubes themselves, metal pillars/screws in the corners, rubber feet, and the time setting buttons.

Won't kill you but it'll give you a fair jolt.

Yup. There's 180VDC exposed on the header on the front, pins underneath, pins on top, etc. You can safely touch the tubes themselves, metal pillars/screws in the corners, rubber feet, and the time setting buttons.

Won't kill you but it'll give you a fair jolt.

:wtf: Why would you design it that way? I'd be scared a pet would touch it.

:wtf: Why would you design it that way? I'd be scared a pet would touch it.
Keep it out of reach of pets/kids and you'll be fine. I keep mine on my desk at work with a high voltage sign next to it.

Or put it in a case to cover up the high voltage bits. Domon's making some when he heals up.

Keep it out of reach of pets/kids and you'll be fine. I keep mine on my desk at work with a high voltage sign next to it.

Or put it in a case to cover up the high voltage bits. Domon's making some when he heals up.

Dang.