Hawt NFL Deserves Its Own Thread - THIS ONE

Also thepl ayers protesting had no issue stopping their protests during the offseason. They had no issue taking their money and going to Hawaii and other resort islands instead of even keeping the conversation moving. Outside of Michael Bennet there wasn't a peep from any of them. So what I'm saying is if they want to help with change I think they should and we should all take part. But the way they are doing it isn't working.
I hope that many of the players helped in the off season and we just didn't hear about it. It's not exciting news when a player does good works, like Warrick Dunn did (and probably still does) building houses for the needy.

I hope that many of the players helped in the off season and we just didn't hear about it. It's not exciting news when a player does good works, like Warrick Dunn did (and probably still does) building houses for the needy.

There's actually a few active NFL players including Deshaun Watson who grew up in a Warrick Dunn house.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
Government no but your boss sure could.
So, now that we've gotten past the "they're not allowed" and the "time and place" dumbness, why not just let them handegg as they see fit?

If you're going to discuss their protests, do it in the framework that they've laid out for their protest, instead siding with all the dumb flag-waving, chest-beating morans who can't stand even the slightest of perceptions that we're not a unified block of NATIONALISTS who cry a single tear every time we pull the flag down at night and stand full-mahogany erection every time we raise it in the morning.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
So, now that we've gotten past the "they're not allowed" and the "time and place" dumbness, why not just let them handegg as they see fit?

If you're going to discuss their protests, do it in the framework that they've laid out for their protest, instead siding with all the dumb flag-waving, chest-beating morans who can't stand even the slightest of perceptions that we're not a unified block of NATIONALISTS who cry a single tear every time we pull the flag down at night and stand full-mahogany erection every time we raise it in the morning.

I never once said I care that they are kneeling during the National Anthem or any BS about disrespect etc. I did say that what they are doing isn't working and is doing zero for the message they were attempting to get out. It went from this is for Police brutality. It turned into this is for Kapernick because he doesn't have a job. Then it turned into this is because POTUS called us out. Now it's over an owner who made a comment he shouldn't have. They attempted to get together as a league and discuss how they could move forward but there was zero chance when the owners weren't going to bend to demands of employees and the employees weren't going to bend to the demands of the owners. But what I do care about is it is part of why their ratings have gone down almost 19% in two years. Now this isn't the only reason for that but it's a big part. And if those ratings drop continue there won't be a league for them to participate in let alone protest at. I don't understand why they can't come together with a message even during the game via commercials, videos, etc covering the topic vs this disjointed attempt they have now that the topic changes every week for them.

• Gravy
Reactions: Peppers

As an example this is what happened at the Texans game that started this most current discussion. Now tell me what any of this solved. Big whoop you took a knee at the start of the game to show your boss you weren't happy with his comments. If they wanted to actually do something they wouldn't have played and really put that guy in a bind. As far as the impact to anything it was a 30 second act that was immediately moved on from as they strapped on their helmets and played for the evil white guy up in the luxury box.

The Houston Texans, incensed by owner Bob McNair’s poorly-worded description of players as “inmates,” staged a mass protest during the national anthem prior to Houston’s game against Seattle.

Virtually all Texans knelt for the anthem, locking arms or holding hands on the sidelines. National media in attendance put the number of players standing at about 10.

The Texans had discussed several options for protest prior to Sunday’s game, with options on the table including kneeling, sitting, remaining in the locker room during the anthem, or peeling the Texans logo off their helmet. Clearly, the protest was large, one of the most significant by any single team to date, but not unanimous.

• Gravy
As an example this is what happened at the Texans game that started this most current discussion. Now tell me what any of this solved. Big whoop you took a knee at the start of the game to show your boss you weren't happy with his comments. If they wanted to actually do something they wouldn't have played and really put that guy in a bind. As far as the impact to anything it was a 30 second act that was immediately moved on from as they strapped on their helmets and played for the evil white guy up in the luxury box.

The Houston Texans, incensed by owner Bob McNair’s poorly-worded description of players as “inmates,” staged a mass protest during the national anthem prior to Houston’s game against Seattle.

Virtually all Texans knelt for the anthem, locking arms or holding hands on the sidelines. National media in attendance put the number of players standing at about 10.

The Texans had discussed several options for protest prior to Sunday’s game, with options on the table including kneeling, sitting, remaining in the locker room during the anthem, or peeling the Texans logo off their helmet. Clearly, the protest was large, one of the most significant by any single team to date, but not unanimous.
Retreading the "no true scotsman" fallacy doesn't lend your point any credibility.

Retreading the "no true scotsman" fallacy doesn't lend your point any credibility.
How is this retreading the fallacy? I gave a specific example of how their protests aren't working because of how they are doing it. This example was specifically on the example that started this latest discussion. So again yes their protest against their direct owner did nothing. At least when Donald Sterling did his awful stuff the players banded together and refused to play for the guy forcing the other owners to make him sell the team and stop doing business with him.

• Gravy
Like WTF would an owner, the league, and dummy Roger do if the players got up and walked out after kickoff. That would really show a message and force them to address whatever they could within their control. But to be honest I really don't think the players know what they want outside of they want the ability to protest however they choose and some of them demand Kap be on a team. But as far as actually going to the owners with a list of what they want changed or done I don't think it's happened. That's why this whole thing is so weird.

And like I said before if they really want to force change then do something that forces change. Be willing to give up their paychecks and walk out. Don't just complain and raise a fist because that does zero. The first few who did it got people talking about the issue but now it turned into just people taking about them doing the act and nothing about the issue.
Not gonna happen. The players caved during the last labor dispute because the refused to give up their paychecks. They're not going to give up money over this.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
Not gonna happen. The players caved during the last labor dispute because the refused to give up their paychecks. They're not going to give up money over this.

Yeah they totatlly got schooled during the last CBA. You would think they would see how all the other leagues and unions work and attempt to copy.

• Gravy
Yeah they totatlly got schooled during the last CBA. You would think they would see how all the other leagues and unions work and attempt to copy.

The % of baseball players and NBA players who are smart with their money seems to be (personal opinion) better than those in the NFL.

Like WTF would an owner, the league, and dummy Roger do if the players got up and walked out after kickoff. That would really show a message and force them to address whatever they could within their control. But to be honest I really don't think the players know what they want outside of they want the ability to protest however they choose and some of them demand Kap be on a team. But as far as actually going to the owners with a list of what they want changed or done I don't think it's happened. That's why this whole thing is so weird.
But why would they do that? They're not trying to damage the league.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
But why would they do that? They're not trying to damage the league.

You do realize that these protests aren't about Police treatment anymore and haven't been for awhile. It's something that started that way and morphed into a tool they are using for anything they don't like with the league right now. Which is why I stated I wish they would do something drastic to force some sort of change so they could stop using it in that fashion. It's to the point now that any hot topic that comes up in the league the response is we don't like that and if you don't change it we will kneel. And unlike all the other leagues the NFL players have yet to realize that they do have all of the power and can force not only work condition changes in the league but get the league to address issues they feel are important (at least in the best of their ability). But sadly I think it's past that point now strickluy because of the Kapernick issue. The continue to have that on the top of their list of issues attempting to force a team to give him a starting job. Even if someone caved and gave him a shot it would just become another level of issues from he wasn't given a fair chance to they need to change stuff to suit how he plays. And maybe @Ledboots and @Duke is right in the comments that they act differently because their careers are shorter and there's a much higher documented rate of them being broke shortly after they stop playing.

So to answer your question they are wanting and are damaging the league. At least in its current state. They would prefer to purge all of the rules and most of the owners in the current state and have a league paying them what they want but in a more utopian model. This view is no different than views that have been part of 100s of union represented jobs. From auto, steel, airline, etc. And the way those have made changes is by striking and walking out.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes and Peppers
You do realize that these protests aren't about Police treatment anymore and haven't been for awhile. It's something that started that way and morphed into a tool they are using for anything they don't like with the league right now. Which is why I stated I wish they would do something drastic to force some sort of change so they could stop using it in that fashion. It's to the point now that any hot topic that comes up in the league the response is we don't like that and if you don't change it we will kneel. And unlike all the other leagues the NFL players have yet to realize that they do have all of the power and can force not only work condition changes in the league but get the league to address issues they feel are important (at least in the best of their ability). But sadly I think it's past that point now strickluy because of the Kapernick issue. The continue to have that on the top of their list of issues attempting to force a team to give him a starting job. Even if someone caved and gave him a shot it would just become another level of issues from he wasn't given a fair chance to they need to change stuff to suit how he plays. And maybe @Ledboots and @Duke is right in the comments that they act differently because their careers are shorter and there's a much higher documented rate of them being broke shortly after they stop playing.

So to answer your question they are wanting and are damaging the league. At least in its current state. They would prefer to purge all of the rules and most of the owners in the current state and have a league paying them what they want but in a more utopian model. This view is no different than views that have been part of 100s of union represented jobs. From auto, steel, airline, etc. And the way those have made changes is by striking and walking out.
This is all a bunch of tinfoil-hat nonsense.

This is all a bunch of tinfoil-hat nonsense.

How is it tinfoil? The players themselves have came out and said what they want and each game give specifics on why they are protesting. You're just uninformed of the specifics and are taking a non-NFL fans view on this. I bet this all goes back to your hatred on the man cave and sports memorabilia hanging in them :).

How is it tinfoil? The players themselves have came out and said what they want and each game give specifics on why they are protesting. You're just uninformed of the specifics and are taking a non-NFL fans view on this. I bet this all goes back to your hatred on the man cave and sports memorabilia hanging in them :).
If @Valve1138 had only grounded his memorabilia to a water pipe, none of it would have ever happened.

• Gravy
Reactions: Floptical