Ontopic New Car Thread!

Some days it doesn't pay to get dressed

SYbYvc0.jpg

You seem to be having a string of hard luck with that truck, man.
At least it's all in the one body part this time.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
I’m a horrible person.

No you're not. Those were just old beaters we picked up for a few hundred bucks back then. No different than picking up a 90s/2000 something or other that's kinda shitty but beats the hell out of walking is now.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
What a pain in the hole. Front pulley is badly seized onto the engine. To get the motor out I had to jack up the back of the mower, unbolt the rear axle and move it forward to get the drive belt off the rear pulley, so I could get it loose enough to get it around the bottom of the front pulley and pull the engine out. It was that or take the deck off.

Anyway, pretty sure the engine is toast. Breather is blown out, it's leaking from several seals, it's leaking from the head gasket. I don't have a compression gauge but it turns over way too easy by hand, so I'm pretty sure it's got a bad case of "excessive crankcase pressure" from fucked rings, or maybe something like a blown head gasket blowing from the cylinder into the crankcase.

Local dude is selling a 42A707, 16.5hp Briggs boxer twin for $150 that looks good. Call him up asking for more info - turns out it's a retired dude that rebuilds engines for a hobby, he's got a few engines that'll fit the mower, and he's interested in taking the Tecumseh off my hands for parts too. Heading to his place after work tomorrow with the engine, we'll see what happens.

What a pain in the hole. Front pulley is badly seized onto the engine. To get the motor out I had to jack up the back of the mower, unbolt the rear axle and move it forward to get the drive belt off the rear pulley, so I could get it loose enough to get it around the bottom of the front pulley and pull the engine out. It was that or take the deck off.

Anyway, pretty sure the engine is toast. Breather is blown out, it's leaking from several seals, it's leaking from the head gasket. I don't have a compression gauge but it turns over way too easy by hand, so I'm pretty sure it's got a bad case of "excessive crankcase pressure" from fucked rings, or maybe something like a blown head gasket blowing from the cylinder into the crankcase.

Local dude is selling a 42A707, 16.5hp Briggs boxer twin for $150 that looks good. Call him up asking for more info - turns out it's a retired dude that rebuilds engines for a hobby, he's got a few engines that'll fit the mower, and he's interested in taking the Tecumseh off my hands for parts too. Heading to his place after work tomorrow with the engine, we'll see what happens.
unless the head is fucked, rings are super easy to do on small engines. So are headgaskets.

that said, its a tecumseh.... so no guarantee parts exist.

unless the head is fucked, rings are super easy to do on small engines. So are headgaskets.

that said, its a tecumseh.... so no guarantee parts exist.
Parts are available but they're expensive... I'll be at least $150 into the engine in parts alone to do rings, gaskets, breather, oil seals, etc. Plus $50 worth of tools I need and don't have like a cylinder hone, one of those telescopy gauge things, seal puller, blah blah blah.

Buying a motor just sounds easier.

Plus, MOAR HOARSEPOWER, in case I decide to take the deck off, swap pulleys and go lawnmower racing with the locals some day.

I haven't googled, but I have no doubts that someone's arduino-ed up their own EFI system by now.

Hell, the 16MHz ATMega328 on a classic Arduino board has more processing guts than most of the 80s/90s engine computers.

I haven't googled, but I have no doubts that someone's arduino-ed up their own EFI system by now.

Hell, the 16MHz ATMega328 on a classic Arduino board has more processing guts than most of the 80s/90s engine computers.
they have. Its called Speeduino

• Gravy
Reactions: gee
I think the software (in principle) is pretty decent, and it's a hell of a lot more maintainable than the MS1 software.

The hardware... definitely not automotive grade.

I think the software (in principle) is pretty decent, and it's a hell of a lot more maintainable than the MS1 software.

The hardware... definitely not automotive grade.
Yeah, the software looks about on par with the AEM tuning suite.

I have no faith that the hardware would be anywhere near as flexible or fault tolerant.

Met up with the old guy. Dropped off the Tecumseh, grabbed the type code on this motor. I'll have to lengthen the throttle cable, add a separate manual choke and possibly mod the exhaust to make it fit the mower. Pretty straightforward job but it's still work.

He's gonna dig into the Tecumseh proper and tally up the parts/labor. He's got the tools, parts washer, a stash of parts and claims he can re-ring and re-seal the motor in an hour if it's worth doing. If it can be fixed cheap I'll keep it, if not then I'm gonna poke in the twin.

Mower update: cracked cylinder head. 50 bucks for a new head (comes fully populated with valves/springs/whatever + a head gasket) + half hour labor = fixed for <$100.

So I won't have a hot rod twin cylinder mower, but I guess that's OK.