New boots

ZRH

(retired?) Google-F.U.
Mar 5, 2005
<3
Marklar
₥21,172
Ok so I need new boots. The ones I have now are Matterhorn #1997 that I got for my birthday in 2001, 10" high, waterproof, insulated, etc. They are still more or less together cept the soles are cracked and it would cost more to replace them than the boots (which is really saying something as they were $300). The only thing that I never liked was they weigh 3lbs each.

My criteria:

Black leather (Suede is a bitch to clean)
Preferably 10"
Petroleum resistant
Safety Toe (steel or otherwise)
Fire resistant (nomex et al)
Non-slip, heat resistant soles (Vibram or similar)
Chainsaw resistant if at all possible

So I've got it down to three or four choices. Money isnt really an object, my "shoe fund" is well over $1000 since the only things I've bough since 2001 are a $40 pair of nikes (which lasted a whole month). Essentially I need a summer pair, and I'm getting another set of #1997s in the winter.

Currently in the running are:

Haix AirX1 $170~
605106_423_390.jpg

Bloodproof
Waterproof
Gas/Oil resistant
Safety toe
Zippers rock

Downside is they are only 8", barely covers my ankle.

Corcoran #XC1525 ~$100
xc1525.jpg

Nice traditional leather boot. No lining, not anything proof, Vibram sole, no safety toe. I'd be scared to use them working. They are CHEAP and 10" though. There is also a version with a side zipper.

Corcoran #3700

3700.jpg

Flesh out (suede) and the fact they are 8" are the only thing keeping me from these. They are very comfortable, but cleaning... I just dont know.

If anyone knows a brand I havent posted about that is has boots like these or something better feel free to spill it. And no I am not going to buy sneakers, I've been injured so many times wearing them it's not funny.

Bonus material, my freshly cleaned old pair with fancy lacing! I had to scrub them with mineral spirits to get the dog shit and asphault off them.

lacingboot.jpg

Bloodproof? :wtf: What's blood gonna do to them that oil and water wont?

Thorn Bird said:
i don't know. they all look good. i guess, for me, it'd come down to comfort and price among the three.
Price isnt much of a consideration. Not being lit on fire is way more of a consideration with what I do everyday than comfort, these are all shexy and comfortable though. Or I'd get a pair of bellivilles:

390des_zoom.jpg

My brother has a pair and they fit like a box.

I Robert I said:
Bloodproof? :wtf: What's blood gonna do to them that oil and water wont?
It's a material that doesnt let bacteria grow in it. "Bloodproof" is the colloquialism for it.

So you want some honkey stompers?

"honkey stomp"

The redneck version of a curb stomp, with or without the curb. It's when a white male leaps in the air and stomps on another persons head with both feet. Usually its a colored person who is getting the shit stomped out of them.

"That nagger broke in to Jerimias trailer and stole his boots. He's is gonna honkey stomp his head in when he finds that spook."

or the ebonics way

"stompizzle on my nizzle"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=honkey+stomp

FlamingGlory said:
It's a material that doesnt let bacteria grow in it. "Bloodproof" is the colloquialism for it.
Ah, that makes more sense :)

I don't know a damn thing about proper work boots so I can't really help you.

I Robert I said:
Ah, that makes more sense :)

I don't know a damn thing about proper work boots so I can't really help you.
Ah well, I just trash sneakers and I like being able to wash the stuff I own completely. Not much other footwear you can scrub with kerosene, apply oil made from dead rodents (mink), and then polish at 2am. ^.~

What function will these boots have? Snow boots, work boots, hiking boots or all of the above?

I personally haven't worn boots in a long time. Sneakers are just way more comfortable (plus I don't kick as much shit these days). Anyways, I do know that Carolina Shoes makes some pretty good boots. I think they make 10" ones, but I know they have 9" ones too.

SpangeMonkee said:
What function will these boots have? Snow boots, work boots, hiking boots or all of the above?

I personally haven't worn boots in a long time. Sneakers are just way more comfortable (plus I don't kick as much shit these days). Anyways, I do know that Carolina Shoes makes some pretty good boots. I think they make 10" ones, but I know they have 9" ones too.

We all suspected that Thorn was the shit kicker in the family.

SpangeMonkee said:

Well:

Running (on rocks, pavement, swamp)
Land clearing
Fires
Rock climbing
Barn work
Shop work (diesel engine repair, machining)
Working at my real job (warehousing)
And lack of a car means I walk EVERYWHERE, 10+ miles a day

And I will check those out.

FlamingGlory said:
Well:

Running (on rocks, pavement, swamp)
Land clearing
Fires
Rock climbing
Barn work
Shop work (diesel engine repair, machining)
Working at my real job (warehousing)
And lack of a car means I walk EVERYWHERE, 10+ miles a day

And I will check those out.
What in the flying fuck do you do?

ceiling fly said:
What in the flying fuck do you do?
Uh... Whatever I want?

I do whatever interests me and I'm an insomiac. You'd be shocked how much you can do in 19-20 hour days.

Right now I wanted a rifle range in my backyard, but it's a swamp/forest, so I decided to clear a path through it about 500 yards long, well to get any kind of vehicles out there to put trees out of the path I have to build a road... So I've been digging a 3 deep x 10 wide foot ditch through the um forest. Then filling it with rocks until it stands 1ft higher than the surrounding ground. In the swampy bits I've been dragging 10ft long logs perpendicular to the proposed road bed to stabilize it (you cant dig in water, I've tried). All by hand.

I also have been building stuff at night, still working on my rifle, a winch made from a 20hp lawnmower engine, etc. Rock climbing and running are what I do to relax... Well that and doing math problems, scrabble... Feeling sorry for myself... Drinking...

Oh, and I'm looking for another job in the music industry. This is what happens when you dont go to college right away kids!