Baby My TV is Dead, but my mom isn't.

Edge-lit LCDs are TOTAL shit and even the "nice" backlit LCD sets with local dimming generally have less contrast (and therefore crappy blacks), less viewing angle, and less uniform picture. OTOH, plasma is heavy, not energy efficient, can suffer from screen burn, and have less viewing life (iirc, still greater than 10,000 hours).

And if you didn't go to a high end HT shop, I'm sure they did look like shit. All of them.
The problem with plasmas, is that unless you view it in a dark room, it looks like crap.

Impossible to compare in pretty much any retailer I've been to.

I wanted one for the glass screen (toddler), and the deeper blacks, but the Mrs. nixed that because during the day it was awfully washed out.

until you've seen an LED... then the rest are obsolete.

QFT. I've never seen a better picture than on my Samsung LED TV
Who here is talking about LED lit LCDs and who is talking about OLED. OLED is a huge step up from any kind of LCD but LED backlit/edgelit LCDs are definitely not OLED.

Also max response time on LED lit LCDs is like 200hz and response time on OLED is comparable to CRTs. Of course there are no OLED displays on sale in the US, but maybe one of you had one imported from Korea... idk

240hz actually.

I
f you think the difference between a 240hz LED LCD and a CRT is worth anything, then you're a fool, yet again.

Even 120hz is plenty enough for our eyes. The only time you notice a difference is when you have a different TV with a lower or high refresh rate sitting next to it.

Who here is talking about LED lit LCDs and who is talking about OLED. OLED is a huge step up from any kind of LCD but LED backlit/edgelit LCDs are definitely not OLED.

Also max response time on LED lit LCDs is like 200hz and response time on OLED is comparable to CRTs. Of course there are no OLED displays on sale in the US, but maybe one of you had one imported from Korea... idk

My TV has a 240hz refresh rate, not 200.

240hz actually.

I
f you think the difference between a 240hz LED LCD and a CRT is worth anything, then you're a fool, yet again.

Even 120hz is plenty enough for our eyes. The only time you notice a difference is when you have a different TV with a lower or high refresh rate sitting next to it.

And most purists hate 240hz cause it makes everything look like it was shot on a Handicam. Its really annoying.

The problem with plasmas, is that unless you view it in a dark room, it looks like crap.

Impossible to compare in pretty much any retailer I've been to.

I wanted one for the glass screen (toddler), and the deeper blacks, but the Mrs. nixed that because during the day it was awfully washed out.

Obviously its all personal preference, but I couldn't disagree more.

LED is LCD :tard:

But they at least have proper lighting and usually setup the TVs correctly. I'm certainly not suggesting that you buy one there. ;)

All electronic stores that sell TVs have sections with a dark room setup as a theatre. Even Best Buy does this.

And most purists hate 240hz cause it makes everything look like it was shot on a Handicam. Its really annoying.

lol @ the irony there.

Trust me, the last thing I'm going to take into consideration when buying a TV is what someone else thinks.

Honestly I can't tell the difference between most TVs, my guess is that most people can't either.
What's more funny is people still pay $20 each for theatre tickets to see a washed out 30ft projection.