Ontopic Money Thread

I've gotten to a point where I'm completely done with stuff over the last couple months. I have no desire to buy more stuff and have systematically been cleaning out the house. This is making coming up with Christmas harder cause the thought of buying another toy makes me sick but hopefully we've figured out a plan to minimize it and focus on other things.

I've gotten to a point where I'm completely done with stuff over the last couple months. I have no desire to buy more stuff and have systematically been cleaning out the house. This is making coming up with Christmas harder cause the thought of buying another toy makes me sick but hopefully we've figured out a plan to minimize it and focus on other things.
Instead of using money or gifts, would kids be interested in experiences instead? Road trips, camping, etc?

Different strokes for different folks. What makes one person happy financially can make another person miserable if they tried to live that way. Do what works for YOU!
This is exactly my point. If you can go through life not living life and instead doing nothing so you can save money, well good for you I guess but I'm not like that, and neither are any people I know.

• Gravy
Reactions: Peppers
Instead of using money or gifts, would kids be interested in experiences instead? Road trips, camping, etc?
That's the plan. Tickets to events and gift cards to restaurants, etc. They love having "date" nights with us so we figure this will be a good fit. They'll each get one toy so they have something to rip open and play with but that's it.

In a couple years we'll likely just do a family vacation for Christmas.

• Gravy
Reactions: Petunia and APRIL
Except @APRIL and I seem to be doing pretty well. You seemed to enjoy yourself here as well...
I don't see you two being what you describe. You have a mortgage for that home right? Or did you pay cash for it?

Also. We went out a lo when we were there, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, but we didn't sit around the house doing nothing.

Last edited:
This is exactly my point. If you can go through life not living life and instead doing nothing so you can save money, well good for you I guess but I'm not like that, and neither are any people I know.
There is so much more to life than spending money.

We aren't as good as other people at this lifestyle, but it sure is grounding to cut back on things that are unnecessary.

Mr. Money Mustache retired in his 30s. That's usually unheard of, but he has control of his life. Unlike most people who, for some odd reason, choose to work for 50+ years of their life... and for what? The latest and greatest cell phone? A hefty retirement plan that you may never use due to commonly dying early? Meh.

For Xmas Kiko gets one gift.
Last year he got a soccer ball and he got to climb Machu Picchu.
None of this crazy $1000000 on Xmas gifts. Id rather use the money on experiences.
We will be discovering the meaning of Christmas in diff cultures for the next few years.
Kiko doesn't know what it's like to get 26389329 presents under the tree cuz he's never experienced it.

And as for stuff in the house we have been donating SO MUCH STUFF to free ourselves from the clutter that we too have accumulated ... Enough is enough..

I am super guilty of buying tons of clothes and shoes tho :fly:

• Gravy
Reactions: Mikeawesome
None of this crazy $1000000 on Xmas gifts. Id rather use the money on experiences.
We will be discovering the meaning of Christmas in diff cultures for the next few years.
Kiko doesn't know what it's like to get 26389329 presents under the tree cuz he's never experienced it.

And as for stuff in the house we have been donating SO MUCH STUFF to free ourselves from the clutter that we too have accumulated ... Enough is enough..

This year we are going to start a tradition where we pick a country and do things their way. If you come up with anything good let me know.

We don't go overboard for Christmas. I set a reasonable budget and stick to it but they just don't need anything. They are still playing happily with toys they got 4-5 years ago so why throw them out just to buy new. Most of the boys life is based on Legos Anyway and they have about 10000. It's hard to justify buying more. Haylee likes monster high dolls (think Barbie monsters) but has tons and is starting to outgrow toys anyway. There is just no more room or need for more toys/clothes/etc. Might as we'll create memories. Unfortunately hiking macchu picchu is out of the budget this year.

Being in a smaller home helps cause we only have so much room. We've talked about upgrading but I don't want to add too much space cause I don't want excuses to buy more things to fill it with.

• Gravy
Reactions: Petunia

Your kid has an ipad. God you are full of shit.

There is so much more to life than spending money.

We aren't as good as other people at this lifestyle, but it sure is grounding to cut back on things that are unnecessary.

Mr. Money Mustache retired in his 30s. That's usually unheard of, but he has control of his life. Unlike most people who, for some odd reason, choose to work for 50+ years of their life... and for what? The latest and greatest cell phone? A hefty retirement plan that you may never use due to commonly dying early? Meh.
People ha e different priorities. I have ever no desire to live a life of free of spending just so I can have some nice house in my second half of life. I want to enjoy every day from now until I die, and if that means spending some money here and there, then so be it.

• Gravy
Reactions: Applesauce
The point isn't to not live life, its to not spend frivolously. It's not to accumulate useless stuff that lightens our wallets and destroy the Earth for no good reason. I feel that @APRIL and I enjoy life to the fullest without the need for a brand new card every couple of years, top shelf vodka, and whatever the newest phone is. I'd much rather get up when I want in the morning and do what I feel like doing. And FWIW, every dollar that you can trim now is 25 dollars less that you'll need later for financial independence, or fuck you money as its called. I'd think that would appeal to you, but do whatever you think makes you happy.

People ha e different priorities. I have ever no desire to live a life of free of spending just so I can have some nice house in my second half of life. I want to enjoy every day from now until I die, and if that means spending some money here and there, then so be it.
On the flip side, you are spending a third of your life chained to a desk.

• Gravy
Reactions: Petunia
This thrad is awesome!
Post your financial choices and what works for you and your family so you can be judged for doing what makes you happy and be told how stupid it is!
Yay Guises! Didn't see this coming at all!!! :fly: