Ontopic Money Thread

I think that now you realize that you didn't not grow up poor. Maybe when he first started Navy. Your father was just extremely frugal. You certainly wouldn't know that now, but yea...
The wealth my father acquired came from many years of living frugal and working hard to get up the ranks in the navy. I'm not talking about when my parents were homeless. That was before I was born or around the time I was born. I'm talking about the years I grew up in that home. We never got shit.

For one, this all started simply because we mentioned getting a personal loan.
Getting a loan does not equal spending like shitheads and being totally irresponsible. Sure, there are many things that we could still cut back on, but again, getting a loan does equal complete extravagance & financial ruin, because we can manage just fine & comfortably.

Also, there is no way I could "retire" at my age, even if financially able to. I'd feel so useless. I don't even know how to imagine a life without financial reward on a regular basis. That being said, I know there is a way to continue earning, but not being a slave to your 60's. And that's just smart career choices, like real estate for example. It's such a vast industry that a person would have to be pretty inept not to capitalize on some part of it for the long run, eventually having the industry work for you, thus rendering your life pretty much your own schedule. That's my goal. And since I have a vast amount of knowledge in various areas, I'm not worried about not being successful here. It is my calling & I feel confident about our future financially because I'm confident about real estate.

See what I mean? Us starting out here in Oz with a personal loan seriously is not ruining us. We are turning over new leaves here, I feel confident, happy, loving & smart. I feel like it took a little bit to get to this feeling, but it's working now. To us, a healthy relationship, healthy mind & happy life far outweigh the worries of a danged personal loan.
Love you, purrfriend.
I didn't even know this all started out over a personal loan. :lol: :case: I'm just running my mouth aimlessly.

• Gravy
Reactions: Applesauce
Right. But, this isn't a forever life, either. It's also got its perks. He has an amazingly gorgeous drive to and from work. He works on an island & he gets to see & tours all the Navy ships.

It's not *too* bad for now.
And again, we're focusing on happiness outside of what we need to do as humans & our future. If we chain ourselves to one thing and are so horribly miserable that it becomes debilitating, then that's a huge problem not to do anything to change it.
Agreed, I said it since he's voiced his displeasure about working in IT. He and I have discussed him starting his own company, maybe one day. :hs:

• Gravy
Reactions: Applesauce
It seems this is all just a pissing match. Person A thinks their way of life in the better way, and so does person B. They argue back and forth about which life is better, and in the end there are no more wiser or removed from their original stance.

If anything we do learn more about each other.
:hs: I don't like arguing. It's just not many people have heard or even believe there are other ways like this... It's only a discussion.

Also, there is no way I could "retire" at my age, even if financially able to. I'd feel so useless. I don't even know how to imagine a life without financial reward on a regular basis.

retiring doesn't mean substitute golfing or leisure activities instead of a job. Lot's of people 'retire' from the pressure of having to earn more $ because they reached the threshold of their goal. At that point, lots of 'retirees' open their own business because they know they don't have to 'rely' on the income from it. They're not risking the goal of financial accumulation. It can be wildly profitable, or have a bad month, and the 'retiree' sleeps like a baby every night because the money coming from it isn't an absolute necessity.

Maybe their goal is to travel, or golf, but who cares. It's their retirement. I can't imagine doing that on a permanent basis, but somehow lots of people do it just fine. For me, I love the game of money accumulation (and helping employees accumulate $). I'd love to retire from it full time and do it part time as a hobby.

Last edited: