let's talk gas and food

We are seriously contemplating getting Knyte a bike to help offset the gasoline prices (at this rate, I expect he'll have one by next summer at the latest).

You all know I'm pro-bike of course, but be careful with which ones you (he) looks at.

Sporty bikes EAT tires, many have to replace tires every 3,000 miles - at close to $200 for a rear, and >$100 for a front. Most "standards" and cruisers can probably expect in the range of 10-20,000 miles.

Pretty plastic fairings are expensive to repair when you crash, on the other hand ugly crash bars can be bent back into shape if needed.

Insurance in some areas, depending on rider's age and bike size, can be exhorbitant - get quotes on bikes before you buy.

Bike shop labour is expensive, plan on doing your own service.

I've seen a huge increase in the number of bikes and motorcycles downtown here.

Kynte how experienced of a rider are you?

I'm looking at older basic motorcycles as a starter bike for me. I don't want to start off with more power than I can handle.

:lol: at the $250...i said i'm TRYING to get there...and that digit does not include going out to eat. but i am not cooking every night, or even every other night, so i'm not buying a ton of meat and ingredients (i've realized that every time i try a new recipe, it costs me at least $30 for the meal, which is a LOT.) we hardly ever go to sit-down restaurants, and if we do go out to eat (meaning fast food), i TRY to buy economically...spangelet doesn't eat the fries and we have drinks at home, so why buy them?
my budget for groceries would be much higher if i cooked more often, which i should, but now it's saving us money. :eek: and spange eats nearly nothing and i don't consume a lot either, so it's saving us there. :iono: but i know that i could definitely spend $60 a week without a lot of cooking and be able to do it. that's buying milk, bread, eggs, juice, cottage cheese, blocks of cheese, deli meat, crackers, and fresh produce. (can you tell i went to the store yesterday?)
i also buy a lot of store-brand stuff and non-organic.

my upstairs neighbor offered me his street-legal 350 enduro for $1500. he hasn't ridden it since he crushed his foot when he dropped it after hitting a gravel patch.

On the possibility that speculation has caused an oil bubble:

if so many people are so sure that speculation has caused the price of oil to be artificially high, why don't they just put their money where their mouth is, sell oil short (which puts downward pressure on the price) then reap the profits as the price falls down to its proper "supply and demand" price?

actually, if all this talk of oil being artificially high hasn't on it's own made the price fall, nothing will. as soon as doubts were expressed about the housing bubble it went pop. ditto tech bubble. ditto every bubble ever. as soon as the shine is off a bubble can not sustain itself. everyone holding oil futures would be tripping over themselves trying to dump them before the price fell to its correct level.

Last edited:
i bought four apples for drool's lunch this week....cost for those apples $4.14!!!! i was telling someone at work about it and she bought grapes this weekend price $8 and change. she told the cashier that it must have rang up incorrectly. unfortunately, the grapes were $3.99 a pound.

It's pretty funny how pissed off we are at the Saudis for not selling us more of their natural resources. As if it's reasonable. "Fork it over towel heads! NOM NOM NOM"

Dan has been taking the motorcycle to work as often as the weather will allow, but he's got a 36 mile commute each way and that takes him about an hour. There is no public transportation available in that direction. We don't usually buy much food until the day we are going to use it (to avoid having any food spoil) so I have no idea how much we spend a month on groceries. My car gets 40 mpg, so I don't really complain too much.

I've started looking at the impound lots in the Detroit area for scooters. I go 15miles into work and I'd like something small to take in..but that just brings up the hilarious fun of fat guy on scooter.

?

picture.php