let's talk gas and food

Thorn Bird

Forum Mom
May 24, 2005
Marklar
₥65
i'm interested to see how many of y'all are affected by the inflation of fuel and grocery prices. does it affect your traveling? entertainment on the weekends? your meals and grocery shopping? your dining out?

and what do you anticipate is going to happen? i know we've discussed the economy and all this in general, but it's very real right now and i'm curious to see all the ways you have seen or felt it all...and what do you think is going to happen?

i really have no idea how far gas will go and what will happen because of it, and that's an intimidating feeling. i also don't know at what point i begin to change our meals at home. this is where i think that it's great that i don't cook often. :fly:

I thought this thread was going to be about your last visit to Taco Bell.

My shopping had been restricted to what I'm willing to carry on my bike. It has actually helped me save money and stop impulse buying.

Our electric bill is much higher than last year due to gas prices. Everything in general is more expensive. Its going to take a major crash to get Americans to realize how wasteful we are.

The way waw tosses chicks to the side is something Obama needs to address in the next economy speech.

Hasn't affected me yet money wise. The only annoyance is that I can't fill my 4Runner up when it's on E. The fucking pump shuts off at $75 :rolleyes:.

I did look at a Yaris though. :fly: Maybe when my 4Runner is paid off I'll get a V6 truck and a low end Yaris or something.

Gas sucks but luckily I live very close to work. And I have cut back on other areas of travel. Like instead of driving to the dog park I take my bike and DOG BASKET and let him run around a bit. Instead of picking up my paycheck in Tampa on Wednesdays (for the second job), I wait until my next shift. I'm trying to make little changes.

In regards to food, I see the costs rising so join my coupon clipping ways folks! I save at least 15 bucks a trip. I spend less than 200 a month on food, and that includes a lot of organic food.

so do you think bicycles will become more popular? motorcycles? do you think we'll see more of the smaller, green cars? how high will gas go? will anything replace gasoline as a source of energy for transportation? what will do it? is there a chain of events that you anticipate?
ex: gas is high, onedrives less, buys a bike and rides more, becomes more fit, eats less...

you're paying more at the pump and at the grocery...does that mean you go out less? don't buy as much? does it affect you in any way?

i used to drive 70-75mph or more on the highway. Now I drive 55-65mph. I accelerate verrrrrry slowly from a stop too. Trying to save gas.

As for food, I'm actually thinking of starting to eat out more. Grocery store prices seem to be rising faster than restaurant prices. It's still cheaper to eat at home, but once you factor in the time the prices are getting close to even.

Gas sucks but luckily I live very close to work. And I have cut back on other areas of travel. Like instead of driving to the dog park I take my bike and DOG BASKET and let him run around a bit. Instead of picking up my paycheck in Tampa on Wednesdays (for the second job), I wait until my next shift. I'm trying to make little changes.

In regards to food, I see the costs rising so join my coupon clipping ways folks! I save at least 15 bucks a trip. I spend less than 200 a month on food, and that includes a lot of organic food.

but do you think coupons are still doing the trick, or are people going to just buy more store brand stuff? i saw a report where people where food shopping more at dollar stores, which, in turn, prompts dollar stores to supply food and even fresh produce. i personally don't buy dollar store food, but i might if they are offering fresh or frozen stuff.
i use coupons when i either don't like the store brand peanut butter, for example, or when doubling the coupon on a sale brand name comes out cheaper than the store brand, which happens sometimes (or when the store is running a buy-one-get-one-free so i can use a coupon per item, in which they are each doubled.)
i'd like to live on $250 a month for a family of four, but that's not getting a lot of organic stuff, either.

The rest of the world has these nifty diesel engined cars that get 60+ mpg, drives me insanse.
diesel prices are rising faster than gas prices though because demand for diesel is less elastic.

I should pay more attention to food prices. I'm terrible at grocery shopping.

We're paying through our asses for petrol here. I believe it was last at R12 per litre last time I was at home.

That's very expensive and it's making it increasingly difficult to afford your own transportation. On the other hand public transportation here is beyond fucked so you are basically forced to own your own vehicle.

It's a proper paradox if I ever saw one.