let's talk gas and food

We're paying through our asses for petrol here. I believe it was last at R12 per litre last time I was at home.

That's very expensive and it's making it increasingly difficult to afford your own transportation. On the other hand public transportation here is beyond fucked so you are basically forced to own your own vehicle.

It's a proper paradox if I ever saw one.
yes but you have animals you can harness. tie a water buffalo to the car and use him

but do you think coupons are still doing the trick, or are people going to just buy more store brand stuff? i saw a report where people where food shopping more at dollar stores, which, in turn, prompts dollar stores to supply food and even fresh produce. i personally don't buy dollar store food, but i might if they are offering fresh or frozen stuff.
i use coupons when i either don't like the store brand peanut butter, for example, or when doubling the coupon on a sale brand name comes out cheaper than the store brand, which happens sometimes (or when the store is running a buy-one-get-one-free so i can use a coupon per item, in which they are each doubled.)
i'd like to live on $250 a month for a family of four, but that's not getting a lot of organic stuff, either.

Coupons do the trick for me. I read the weekly flyers and check my coupons and then plan meals. I don't buy things that I normally wouldn't buy, you know just because there is a coupon for it.

I buy stuff from the dollar store and use my coupons there too. I got tide for 1.50. I think that I could live off less but I like having some name brand stuff.

It takes me an hour and a half to two hours to get from my house to my school. That's normally a 20-30 minute drive...

Thats almost the exact same for my trip. I shouldnt be complaining then. If I could ride a bike to work without smelling like I have been riding a bike....

... More excuses.

yes but you have animals you can harness. tie a water buffalo to the car and use him

:D

Funny enough, I was having a conversation with one of my co-workers today saying that the rising price of oil is going to plunge us into the dark ages and we should embrace the power of zebra-travel now before it's too late. :fly:

Yeah I live 7 miles from work. There are no buses here, and its a bit too far to ride a bike. Plus the route would take me along major freeways and through major construction zones. Oh, and its like nine billion degress outside by 6am.
Driving myself is really the only way to go.
I need another motorcycle :/

diesel prices are rising faster than gas prices though because demand for diesel is less elastic.

I should pay more attention to food prices. I'm terrible at grocery shopping.

If diesel was taxed fairly or at least comparitively to gasoline, it would be CHEAPER than gas.
:rant:

I bought a more efficient (or at least I thought) car, but it hasn't impacted me that much. $50 instead of $40 a month.

The food bill hasn't changed all that much, either, so I am not stressed about it. Since I don't pay for natural gas either, my heating bill hasn't changed.

All in all, I haven't really felt the problem.

Now if my fucking car has a turbo diesel hybrid option for $5000, I would have paid that happily and would stop bitching about my Fit, but until Honda and CA gets it head out of their asses :mad:

Yeah I live 7 miles from work. There are no buses here, and its a bit too far to ride a bike. Plus the route would take me along major freeways and through major construction zones. Oh, and its like nine billion degress outside by 6am.
Driving myself is really the only way to go.
I need another motorcycle :/

Yeah thats what is stopping me from walking / biking. I am under two miles from work but there are no sidewalks. Construction. And an interstate exit.

I dont' want to die.

We are seriously contemplating getting Knyte a bike to help offset the gasoline prices (at this rate, I expect he'll have one by next summer at the latest). Other then that, we don't go on uneccessary trips. If we just want to go browse or look at something or comparison shop, we do it all over the internet as opposed to driving to stores. Then we simply go and pick it up when it's ready (if we don't just order it).

Thorn, how the crap do you live off of 250 for food? I try, but then I feel like we don't ever have enough (especially snack type stuff) and we just eat out more. I'm trying to keep it to 350-400 and feel like I'm hurting every month. I still buy the majority of our groceries as opposed to eating out. Feeding a family of 4 (and soon to be 5) would be much more expensive at restaurants.

I do think we will eventually see alternate options to gas. Honda has already introduced natural gas vehicles and people have conversion kits for those, and Honda just released Hydrogen powered cars to Southern California for the summer as a trial run. They are leasing at 600 a month which includes all maintenance. I don't know what the fuel costs for them are though, but if gas goes up too much higher, even with that high of a monthly lease, it will be less then what we pay for our pathfinder and gas every month. I'm excited to watch and see how they do.

At this point, we just try to save money on fuel and get the best mpg we can but will be replacing the pathfinder with much more economical cars over the next couple years and kids graduate from car seats. Also, when Knyte is ready for a new job, we will be focusing the search closer to home since we plan on being in the new house for a long time.

And yes, I've definitely noticed the raise in food prices. Everytime I have to spend 3 bucks on 18 eggs I cringe.

i used to drive 70-75mph or more on the highway. Now I drive 55-65mph. I accelerate verrrrrry slowly from a stop too. Trying to save gas.

As for food, I'm actually thinking of starting to eat out more. Grocery store prices seem to be rising faster than restaurant prices. It's still cheaper to eat at home, but once you factor in the time the prices are getting close to even.

I think you are right about the grocery store prices. By the time I buy food for a meal, I could have gone out & bought the end product. And we are more likely to eat leftovers if they are cooked by someone else :eek: I still thinking cooking at home is better because I make healthier choices when planning meals, rather than sitting down and ordering french fries or some other grease-laden crap.

I think you are right about the grocery store prices. By the time I buy food for a meal, I could have gone out & bought the end product. And we are more likely to eat leftovers if they are cooked by someone else :eek: I still thinking cooking at home is better because I make healthier choices when planning meals, rather than sitting down and ordering french fries or some other grease-laden crap.
that's the biggest difference right there. when eating out it's all too easy to go for the burger instead of the salad... and even the salad is often made with too much dressing, cheese and meat.

I refuse to play this game and am moving downtown 3 blocks from work in a week :happy:
anyone want to buy a vette?

Gas could fall to $2 if Congress acts, analysts say
Limiting speculation would push prices to fundamental level, lawmakers told

The price of retail gasoline could fall by half, to around $2 a gallon, within 30 days of passage of a law to limit speculation in energy-futures markets, four energy analysts told Congress on Monday.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/sto...C102-68E0-41D9-9C9A-10EE2E723948}&dist=msr_13

______________________________________________________________________________________________
But yet gas prices are still rising. It's almost time to use that Second Amendment right before it's totally gone to get rid of those corrupt bastards in congress.

Gas could fall to $2 if Congress acts, analysts say
Limiting speculation would push prices to fundamental level, lawmakers told

The price of retail gasoline could fall by half, to around $2 a gallon, within 30 days of passage of a law to limit speculation in energy-futures markets, four energy analysts told Congress on Monday.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/sto...C102-68E0-41D9-9C9A-10EE2E723948}&dist=msr_13

______________________________________________________________________________________________
But yet gas prices are still rising. It's almost time to use that Second Amendment right before it's totally gone to get rid of those corrupt bastards in congress.

Got to love the Enron loophole.