Halp Lawn Mowers

30 days? OK cool I got plenty of time.

I just realized that it may have been tilted to far the wrong way (Air filter down) when I was mowing the front slope. It gets pretty steep at some points. Maybe that was why the oil was smoking?

IIRC correctly, seeing smoke come from the oil resevoir isn't really that big a deal. It's a pretty basic air cooled engine so you will probably have a little heat burn coming from there.

yea, the oil smoking out of the oil reservoir isn't really a big deal.

the fact that the string wont pull, and the blade is tough to turn makes me think the issue is in the crankcase or with the crankshaft... possibly with the rod.

to be honest, there's only like a dozen major parts to a lawnmower engine, and the problem could be with about half of them... but it sounds like its all centered around the crank.

I've owned two as an adult, both have been abused, neglected, and never had oil checked or even changed.

The first one was stolen when it was about 8 years old, was still running fine.

The second is going on 5 years now and still works well enough, has some overheating issues ever since someone (not me) filled it with 2-stroke mix :dont: but hasn't died yet.

Both were bottom-of-the-barrel cheap as well.

Our friend, Scott (GForce), has a Honda that he has had for decades. I want to say it was passed down from his father and it still runs like new.

I was able to force the blade to turn with a bit of force, though it didn't seem to want to turn. After forcing it for awhile it finally allowed me to pull the cord and it started.

Ran it for about 15 - 20 minutes and the same damn thing happened. Although this time after forcing the blade to allow me to pull the cord, it will not kick over and start. The oil is full, and was only put in there Friday.
Straight gas mower or gas/oil mix mower?

I've owned two as an adult, both have been abused, neglected, and never had oil checked or even changed.

The first one was stolen when it was about 8 years old, was still running fine.

The second is going on 5 years now and still works well enough, has some overheating issues ever since someone (not me) filled it with 2-stroke mix :dont: but hasn't died yet.

Both were bottom-of-the-barrel cheap as well.

Mine's going on 10 years now. Just did its first filter change and have only changed the oil twice. Original spark plug.

Altho, in this case, even tho it's ACTING like an AFE, it's brand spanking new, and wasn't cheap.

I'm going with USER ERROR.