Kill Shelters vs. No Kill Shelters

Is it wrong of me that I legitmately do not care about homeless animals being put to sleep?

I'm just wondering why you said "legitimate". You conform to recognized principles of not caring about animals being put to sleep?

I think sincerely, truthfully, verily, all fit better.

lets see... life in a cage with little to no human interaction while slowly going crazy? or death?

its a tough choice...

keep the adoptable ones, kill the remainder

lets see... life in a cage with little to no human interaction while slowly going crazy? or death?

its a tough choice...

keep the adoptable ones, kill the remainder

Yeah I do agree. Some animals have been hurt in the past and just can't be around humans and its not fair to be stuck in a cage. And some animals just aren't mentally stable and can't be around people. In the wild, in dogs for example, the pack would kill the weak or unstable ones. I would hate to be in a cage for the rest of my life.

zoo or no zoo?

animals in zoos get phenomenal care. The biologists and zoologists that work with them take great pride in their work and care deeply about the animals. Animals also have free run in man made environments that are built to reflect their natural environment. Thats a far cry better than being in a 3x12 run all day, every day for years on end and the only time you see a person is when they fill your food and water.

animals in zoos get phenomenal care. The biologists and zoologists that work with them take great pride in their work and care deeply about the animals. Animals also have free run in man made environments that are built to reflect their natural environment. Thats a far cry better than being in a 3x12 run all day, every day for years on end and the only time you see a person is when they fill your food and water.

Ask those elephants you see swaying from side to side if they get phenomenal care.

Ask those elephants you see swaying from side to side if they get phenomenal care.

I had a dream last night that included elephants in a tree and baby elephants running around a neighborhood hugging people. This was shortly after I backed into a classic Mustang made of fiberglass or something at 2mph in a dirt driveway trying to avoid a massive accident on the highway I was about to turn on to caused by a new Mustang that somehow jumped the median. I also couldn't find my insurance card...

which served to remind me that I need to stop by my State Farm office and pick up a copy of that before I renew my plates. :lol:

dogfound.jpg

:lol:

I had a dream that I was sitting in my pajamas in my kitchen playing chess with Abe Lincoln while a talking beaver was eating breakfast. Oh, and some old time scuba guy was cooking. They kept pushing some kind of sleeping pill on me too.

Or wait, maybe I just saw that on T.V.

Interesting subject. Working at a vet for as long as I have now, I still have issues with this debate. I like the idea of no kill shelters, in theory they are wonderful, but reality not so much. Animals who are taken there all get to live, with the exception of horribly sick or badly injured. The animals though are often neglected because there are so many. We have a local no kill dog rescue who at any one time has around 300. We got our last dog there and he is great, but he was also a puppy and only lived there over night. Other dogs we see at the clinic that come from there may have been there for months. These animals often have fleas, worms and various illness due to living conditions. The owners of these shelters often can't pay for medical care (we actually wrote off a $2500 running balance after 2 years of no payments and they got services at a large discount from us) so injuries often go untreated.
Kill shelters are a necessary evil, but I personally wish there was more control over them. In college a few years ago I did a couple papers on the horrors of grayhound racing. Once you start researching that you get all kinds of things- not realated to greyhound racing, but to animal in general and some days I regret that I know what happens. I read about a shelter who is in a southern county in Ohio. There was 1 man who worked there. Each Friday afternoon he would gas all the animals so he didn't have to come into work on the weekend. He had no regard for them, even animals that had possible home. I also read of a shelter in a country area who would take the dogs out for target practice on the weekend.
Its such a fine line between good and bad with both types of shelters its easy to argue either side.
Bottom line Spay and Nueter your pets.