Kill Shelters vs. No Kill Shelters

APRIL

Feel Free to Pee on Me
Sep 30, 2004
Houston
Marklar
₥60,587
I was at the dentist today getting my first root canal (no lollipop) and while in the waiting room reading one of the magazines I came across an article (4 rope'r actually) about no kill shelters. They had a picture of a white cat that looked horribly diseased ridden and several other pictures of these no kill shelters where the animals get very little care if at all and the living conditions are so poor I couldn't stand looking at the page before turning it and tearing up some.

Originally, I was all for no kill shelters - I love animals way too much and they don't deserve to die because us humans aren't responsible enough to FUCKING NEUTER OR SPAY our pets.

I feel a little torn between the two types of shelters. Granted there are very nice no kill shelters out there and they are truly a gift. Animals in these horrible no kill shelters like they presented do NOT need a life like that. Some of you will say "they are just cats, etc." It's just not true when you have one sitting at home you love as much as a family member.

Oddly enough, I could care less about orphanages and the poor. Put a suffering animal in front of me and I'm liable to kill the person who put this animal through pain. They are defenseless.

I'm so torn, help me out here. :hs:

ibpetacomments

I don't like shelters at all. In the past we have always harbored strays until we can place them in a good home. You can only harbor so many and still lead the life of a non-cat lady. We've been lucky to always find good homes relatively quickly for strays that we find.

:heart: eileen and IBWIP for taking one of our most recent find.

I bet the dentist felt you up while you were unconcious. They do that ya know, all the time.

....I wish I were a dentist.

You cant make an omlette without breaking some eggs.

omg hahahaha - sometimes you make me giggle...

I bet the dentist felt you up while you were unconcious. They do that ya know, all the time.

....I wish I were a dentist.

He injected his seed into her gums via syringe.

In a previous life I lived with a couple, let's call them Costanza and Ms. Doolittle. Ms. D had a horrible preponderance for picking up strays and bringing them home, we lived in what can only be described as a non-commercial petting zoo. I was all good with it until she brought home three cats from behind a gas station. Now, the three cats were named Elwood, Smokey and Ace. Elwood was tits, he was one of those energetic, playful cats that give all other cats a good name. Smokey was skittish, clearly abused at some point, but friendly if you made no threatening/aggressive movements towards him. Ace was 100% pure feral. Someone had done something to this cat to turn him off humans bigtime.

For the first time in my life I understood the premise behind Kill Shelters. There was no way that Ace was ever going to trust humans. The alternatives presented at a shelter would have been life behind bars, a quick snip (neuter) and out the door, or a (relatively) painless death. So far as I know Ace still terrorizes the laundry room in the house Ms. D moved into, she clearly doesn't share my opinion that sometimes the most humane thing we can do for something is to put it out of it's misery.

I know, I'm an evil bastard. But here, have a Daily Kitten.

You aren't supposed to open that till January!

I haven't yet, it's still in my desk!

0761141847.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

In a previous life I lived with a couple, let's call them Costanza and Ms. Doolittle. Ms. D had a horrible preponderance for picking up strays and bringing them home, we lived in what can only be described as a non-commercial petting zoo. I was all good with it until she brought home three cats from behind a gas station. Now, the three cats were named Elwood, Smokey and Ace. Elwood was tits, he was one of those energetic, playful cats that give all other cats a good name. Smokey was skittish, clearly abused at some point, but friendly if you made no threatening/aggressive movements towards him. Ace was 100% pure feral. Someone had done something to this cat to turn him off humans bigtime.

For the first time in my life I understood the premise behind Kill Shelters. There was no way that Ace was ever going to trust humans. The alternatives presented at a shelter would have been life behind bars, a quick snip (neuter) and out the door, or a (relatively) painless death. So far as I know Ace still terrorizes the laundry room in the house Ms. D moved into, she clearly doesn't share my opinion that sometimes the most humane thing we can do for something is to put it out of it's misery.

I know, I'm an evil bastard. But here, have a Daily Kitten.

You really can't do anything for ferals. Once they revert back to that they really are wild cats. They really aren't happy being forced into servitude (being kept indoors as pets) so I can't imagine why Ms. D would keep him like that. However I don't think it's right to just kill them because they can't be adopted. The best thing imo is to snip them and set the free. Nature will take it's course with them, but at least they won't bring anymore unwanted kitties into this overpopulated world.

You really can't do anything for ferals. Once they revert back to that they really are wild cats. They really aren't happy being forced into servitude (being kept indoors as pets) so I can't imagine why Ms. D would keep him like that. However I don't think it's right to just kill them because they can't be adopted. The best thing imo is to snip them and set the free. Nature will take it's course with them, but at least they won't bring anymore unwanted kitties into this overpopulated world.

I like that idea, but who will do all the snipping for free?