ITT: You explain "God" to me

zengirl said:
1. So Jesus is God?

2. Evolution contradicts creationism which is outlined in the bible... how does the Bible follow evolution closely?

3. Okay.

Yes

First came the plants, then the animals of the water, then the animals of the land and air, then came man.

That's the very generic description of Genesis and evolution. Now if you are talking about in a literal sense, then you are correct, they do not match. However, not everyone takes the Bible literally.

zengirl said:
1. So Jesus is God?

2. Evolution contradicts creationism which is outlined in the bible... how does the Bible follow evolution closely?

3. Okay.

Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and God are the same thing. Jesus was a man on earth, which was the point of his existence here (to live as us, and suffer and die as us), but upon death returned to his father and they became one once again, which is probably what happens to everyone when they die. In my opinion, anyway.

Sarcasmo said:
Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and God are the same thing. Jesus was a man on earth, which was the point of his existence here (to live as us, and suffer and die as us), but upon death returned to his father and they became one once again, which is probably what happens to everyone when they die. In my opinion, anyway.
I am not going to be "becoming one" with you, now or ever.

to answer #1, God is in three persons: Father, Son and Holy spirit. They're all the same being/thing/entity taking on three different roles in three different personifications. YOu're not worshipping someone different if you are worshipping Jesus

F33nX said:
to answer #1, God is in three persons: Father, Son and Holy spirit. They're all the same being/thing/entity taking on three different roles in three different personifications. YOu're not worshipping someone different if you are worshipping Jesus
Ok this is where I have to challenge you. Hinduism is considered polytheistic, however, according to Hinduism, all of their Gods are the one god in different manifestations... and anyone who worships any god is Hindu. So, the One God is taking on the different roles and manifesting as all of these other God's but that's a polytheistic religion. So by comparison, God taking on the manifestation of Jesus, the Holy Spirit and himself is to say that Christianity is polytheistic.

zengirl said:
Ok this is where I have to challenge you. Hinduism is considered polytheistic, however, according to Hinduism, all of their Gods are the one god in different manifestations... and anyone who worships any god is Hindu. So, the One God is taking on the different roles and manifesting as all of these other God's but that's a polytheistic religion. So by comparison, God taking on the manifestation of Jesus, the Holy Spirit and himself is to say that Christianity is polytheistic.

And that's kinda like some Wicca too isn't it? Some believe they are more like manifestations of a higher being. Course I understand some actually are more polytheistic and believe there are multiple gods/goddess. I really need to finish that book....

Sarcasmo said:

so did jesus die?

elpmis said:
Christians and Catholics alike say yes

Jehova's Witnesses' say no
Both of the C's make me very uncomfortable.

from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/paganism/beliefs/index.shtml

Nature - The recognition of the divine in nature is at the heart of Pagan belief. Pagans are deeply aware of the natural world and see the power of the divine in the ongoing cycle of life and death. Most Pagans are eco-friendly, seeking to live in a way that minimises harm to the natural environment.

Concepts of the divine - Pagans worship the divine in many different forms, through feminine as well as masculine imagery and also as without gender. The most important and widely recognised of these are the God and Goddess (or pantheons of God and Goddesses) whose annual cycle of procreation, giving birth and dying defines the Pagan year. Paganism strongly emphasises equality of the sexes. Women play a prominent role in the modern Pagan movement, and Goddess worship features in most Pagan ceremonies.

Pagan theology - Paganism is not based on doctrine or liturgy. Many pagans believe that 'if it harms none, do what you will'. Following this code, Pagan theology is based primarily on experience, with the aim of Pagan ritual being to make contact with the divine in the world that surrounds them

The more I read about it, the more I realize that all of the things I've come to believe myself are actually what these folks have been thinking for thousands of years.

Sarcasmo said:
Yes, because he was a dude that got nailed to a piece of wood and hung in the desert sun. I imagine that would kill most everyone.

so what happened to the other two while he was dead

Wait wait wait... if Jesus is God then he was his own father?

:fly: Okay, so Jesus is a teenager and Joseph tries to ground him for being a punk, Jesus yells, "I can do what I want, YOU'RE not my father!!"

zengirl said:
Nature - The recognition of the divine in nature is at the heart of Pagan belief. Pagans are deeply aware of the natural world and see the power of the divine in the ongoing cycle of life and death. Most Pagans are eco-friendly, seeking to live in a way that minimises harm to the natural environment.

Concepts of the divine - Pagans worship the divine in many different forms, through feminine as well as masculine imagery and also as without gender. The most important and widely recognised of these are the God and Goddess (or pantheons of God and Goddesses) whose annual cycle of procreation, giving birth and dying defines the Pagan year. Paganism strongly emphasises equality of the sexes. Women play a prominent role in the modern Pagan movement, and Goddess worship features in most Pagan ceremonies.

Pagan theology - Paganism is not based on doctrine or liturgy. Many pagans believe that 'if it harms none, do what you will'. Following this code, Pagan theology is based primarily on experience, with the aim of Pagan ritual being to make contact with the divine in the world that surrounds them
Yulp, that sounds about right to me. I just cant get into their more fruity ritualistic stuff. But then I still believe in some elements of other religions too. I just can't identify with any one religion.