ITT: You explain "God" to me

Thorn Bird said:
i haven't read a word of this thread yet...haven't had time to get comfy and talkative...but i wanted to share a story...

last sunday, back in my hometown, a group of four people at the end of mass stormed the altar and pushed the 500-lb. "table" over, shattering the marble. they did this DURING mass (where they were quickly tackled and held till the police got there...) and they did it because they didn't like the fact that catholics "worship idols." now, believe what you want to, but i think that you'd better get your facts straight before you go rushing in to do something. IDIOTS!! it was dumb to vandalize something IN FRONT OF A ZILLION PEOPLE, and it's ridiculous to do something with INCORRECT INFORMATION...geez...now the FBI's involved and this will become something major, all in the name of false information. :rolleyes:
It's one thing to hold a curiosity about someone's beliefs but it's something completely different to vandalize property and blatantly disrespect them like that. I'm so sorry that there are people in the world so completely without morals that they can do this without weight on their conscience.

and i have no problem with people disagreeing with a religion. i do have a problem if you form an opinion about a religion based on incorrect information, and i have a problem when you think it's okay to vandalize and disrespect someone else because of their religion. there's a line. have an informed opinion or none at all. and it's not hard to be respectful.

Pandora said:
I kinda wonder tho, if some of the people who evangelise just don't really know a lot of information about the faith. It's not that they don't want to share information, it's that they just don't have it. They are simply following what they've been told by their parents n'such that it's what they should do. I knew a lot people in high school that were like that. They would try to evangelise but couldn't answer the questions people asked. Then they would get defensive about it and just start judging the person, that they should change their ways because they are just wrong....because it's a sin blah blah blah, with no explaination given. And that's what turns people off. It's people like you who have actually studied the religion and can discuss it like an adult who do the most good for their faith. :cool:
Hey thanks!!

And I totally agree with your post, I think I actually mentioned something about that back a few posts. Anyways, you said many are just spoon fed and never encouraged to explore it any further on their own. And, as mentioned when it comes down to answering questions most time they either don't know the answer, or don't want to ruin their pride by saying "Good question, I dont know...."

*Fuxx Burger* said:
Hey thanks!!

And I totally agree with your post, I think I actually mentioned something about that back a few posts. Anyways, you said many are just spoon fed and never encouraged to explore it any further on their own. And, as mentioned when it comes down to answering questions most time they either don't know the answer, or don't want to ruin their pride by saying "Good question, I dont know...."

Yeah I noticed you kinda touched on that in a later post. But I figured I'd leave my comment up cuz I wanted to give you props for being so informative and positive in this discussion. :)