ITT: You explain "God" to me

zengirl

If I had a dollar might give ya 99
Oct 15, 2004
Marklar
₥100
I have a very religious family. 1/3 are Catholic, 1/3 are Presbyterian and 1/3 are Southern Baptist.

When I go to visit my family I'm always asked, "Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior" I always say, "I'm still educating myself."

This seems like a very diverse and well rounded bunch I would like to hear your opinions.

These are my biggest issues:

1. If Christians follow the bible and according to the bible, God says, "Thou shalt put no God before Me" then how do Christians justify praying to Jesus and never praying to God? If you're praying to Jesus, you're putting him before God, isn't that hypocritical?

2. If God made man in his image, and Man is flawed, is that to say that God is flawed as well?

3. Do you believe God is an entity or person sitting on a throne and micromanaging the universe? How is that even possible?

4. Do you place a gender upon God? If the only thing in the Universe that can neither be destroyed nor created is energy, then how can God not be energy?

That will start.

:)

ChikkenNoodul said:
The goddess is whatever you want her to be

It's all energy, it doesn't really matter what entitie(s) you place your beliefs in, positive energy will bring positive results

Pagans will frequently perform rituals at the same time as large Catholic masses for example, to take advantage of that positive energy ;)
Don't get me wrong, my beliefs are more Pagan than Christian and needless to say my family is more than distressed by this. I'm interested in the points of view of those who have such strong faith as to find the word of the bible to be the word of God.

ChikkenNoodul said:
The goddess is whatever you want her to be

It's all energy, it doesn't really matter what entitie(s) you place your beliefs in, positive energy will bring positive results

Pagans will frequently perform rituals at the same time as large Catholic masses for example, to take advantage of that positive energy ;)
Are you a practicing Pagan?

zengirl said:
1. If Christians follow the bible and according to the bible, God says, "Thou shalt put no God before Me" then how do Christians justify praying to Jesus and never praying to God? If you're praying to Jesus, you're putting him before God, isn't that hypocritical?

2. If God made man in his image, and Man is flawed, is that to say that God is flawed as well?

3. Do you believe God is an entity or person sitting on a throne and micromanaging the universe? How is that even possible?

4. Do you place a gender upon God? If the only thing in the Universe that can neither be destroyed nor created is energy, then how can God not be energy?

1. Being around Catholics, I would have assumed you heard of the Trinity.

God = Jesus = Holy Spirit

2. God made man in his own image in appearance sake only.

3. He has sub managers ;) (angels, etc.)

4. Not really God is God. if asked by a person what God looked like, I would place that person in front of a mirror. Male or female.

most christian religions are so full of pecksniffery (i love that word) that they reek of pecks. why just pick one thing?

Wow, threads about religion, that's a novel approach.

Regardless of what anyone posts, you'll have made your mind up and would instead prefer to have the usual cliched arguement.

Christianity can mean to you whatever you like, interperate it whatever you want. That's why America has so many batshit cults. I'm sure one is right.

Coqui said:
1. Being around Catholics, I would have assumed you heard of the Trinity.

God = Jesus = Holy Spirit

2. God made man in his own image in appearance sake only.

3. He has sub managers ;) (angels, etc.)

4. Not really God is God. if asked by a person what God looked like, I would place that person in front of a mirror. Male or female.
1. Isn't the Holy Trinity in essence encouraging polytheism?

2. in appearance only is to say that God looks like us? So you don't believe in evolution? In that case, if you believe in the Bible, and believe in Adam and Eve... are we to think that we're all the products of incest? Who did Adam and Eve's kids procreate with?

3. We never hear someone say, "It was the Angel's will" everything is God's will, so how is he delegating and not micromanaging?

zengirl said:
Don't get me wrong, my beliefs are more Pagan than Christian and needless to say my family is more than distressed by this. I'm interested in the points of view of those who have such strong faith as to find the word of the bible to be the word of God.

I know exactly whatcha mean. I wouldn't say I'm truely Pagan, but maybe kinda Pagan....anyway.. My mom's a southern baptist, and I thought she was going to have a heart attack when she saw a Wicca book on my bedside table. When I told her I enjoyed studying religion, all religions, she seemed satisfied with that. I think she was just greatful I had an interest in it, rather than being an atheist.

zengirl said:
1. Isn't the Holy Trinity in essence encouraging polytheism?

2. in appearance only is to say that God looks like us? So you don't believe in evolution? In that case, if you believe in the Bible, and believe in Adam and Eve... are we to think that we're all the products of incest? Who did Adam and Eve's kids procreate with?

3. We never hear someone say, "It was the Angel's will" everything is God's will, so how is he delegating and not micromanaging?

1. No. They are not seperate entities. They are all the same thing.
2. I believe in evolution. The book of Genesis follows the theory of evolution fairly closely
3. For all I know, God could be micromanaging.

Galen said:
Wow, threads about religion, that's a novel approach.

Regardless of what anyone posts, you'll have made your mind up and would instead prefer to have the usual cliched arguement.

Christianity can mean to you whatever you like, interperate it whatever you want. That's why America has so many batshit cults. I'm sure one is right.
Mormons...

Def the Mormons.

Pandora said:
I know exactly whatcha mean. I wouldn't say I'm truely Pagan, but maybe kinda Pagan....anyway.. My mom's a southern baptist, and I thought she was going to have a heart attack when she saw a Wicca book on my bedside table. When I told her I enjoyed studying religion, all religions, she seemed satisfied with that. I think she was just greatful I had an interest in it, rather than being an atheist.
In my house I have books on Hinduism, Buddhism, Druidism, paganistic tributes to the Goddess and all of that. My family considers me damned for the interest in any other religion other than Christianity. It's the blatant intolerance of other lines of thinking which baffles me as Jesus was a jew and encouraged outside thought and consideration and created a movement based upon the challenge of the status quo.

I think the issue is that people tend to fear what they don't understand and with fear comes anger and resentment. Now if the Bible teaches faith without any search for enlightenment then it stands to reason that Christians will never betray their faith by exercising tolerance to other lines of thought. I think that's hypocritical as well as we're supposed to "Love thy neighbor" I suppose that only stands so long as thy neighbor is like me.

:lol:

Pandora said:

Most athiests know more about religion than religious people do.

Coqui said:
1. No. They are not seperate entities. They are all the same thing.
2. I believe in evolution. The book of Genesis follows the theory of evolution fairly closely
3. For all I know, God could be micromanaging.
1. So Jesus is God?

2. Evolution contradicts creationism which is outlined in the bible... how does the Bible follow evolution closely?

3. Okay.

Pandora said:

I know nothing about Wicca or paganism, except that while working at Barnes and Noble I stumbled on a book by some cute girl filled with photographs of her doing rituals topless. So in my limited opinion it kicks ass.

Lutheran is what I was raised as, and after researching it in depth to figure out why I actually very closely identified with Martin Luther and what he was all about. I respect him and his principles, and what he tried to get the church to see.

Other than that, my spirituality is mine and mine alone. I pray on my terms, ask for wisdom and guidance on my terms, and leave it others to worship who and what they want. God is within.

But again, I'm a judgmental asshole too, so I've been known to make fun of people for what they believe. Notably Xenu, and his lame ass Hollywood cronies. Most religion is crap, and, as my hero Eddie Izzard once pointed out, composed of things such as Jeff the God of Biscuits.