Thread ITT: Domon Mines your PII - How much do you pay for healthcare?

On a serious note, has there ever been discussion in Canada about switching from the socialized medicine format? For example that it's becoming too financially burdensome, is insufficient in some way, etc.?
There's been some push for two-tier healthcare, primarily from rich folk who don't want to wait in an ER for 2 hours for a minor injury. But overall, not really.

I think national healthcare is one of the things canadians hold close to heart, we're all glad it's there, and we don't want to see it go anywhere.

There's been some push for two-tier healthcare, primarily from rich folk who don't want to wait in an ER for 2 hours for a minor injury. But overall, not really.

I think national healthcare is one of the things canadians hold close to heart, we're all glad it's there, and we don't want to see it go anywhere.

It should be a universal fundamental human right but this country is full of idiots.

I can't really see it being privatized, From some quick googling, about 85-90% prefer our current system over the US system. Things that are not free here include prescription drugs, dentistry and optometry, but those are often covered through work plans. Mine covers 90% of those costs.

at the very least it should be de-coupled from employment

but the country is indeed full of idiots. more importantly, heartless idiots

Exactly. EVERYONE should have to pay for healthcare. Then people would become good healthcare consumers and reduce costs for everyone.

You could find each and every one of these problem in US healthcare as well.

im entirely too lazy to make counterpoints to every one of these, but ill make one for one.

In 2009, and its only gotten worse, the average US wait time in the ER is 4 hours an 9 minutes. My personal data point confirms this, i waited about 5 hours before a doctor actually got to me when i partially severed my finger (no small injury, one that actually did require emergency service). Since i came in on the ambulance, i was in a room right away, but then i sat 2 hours waiting for an x-ray, and approximately another 3 waiting for a doctor to put stitches in. All the care i had received until that point was compression and bandage in the ambulance.

In april's case, she got triage'd up. I was stable, albeit fairly fucked up.

She was a complete unknown, seizures can make you go from fine to dead in a very rapid pace.

speaking of which, has she been ok since? That was scary.

I had to wait hours until I got painkillers both times I was in the hospital last year. Sucks having to sit around and wait when you literally feel like you're being sawed in half. It was easily the most excruciating pain I've ever endured. Nothing else has even come close.

In april's case, she got triage'd up. I was stable, albeit fairly fucked up.

She was a complete unknown, seizures can make you go from fine to dead in a very rapid pace.

speaking of which, has she been ok since? That was scary.

I'm fine, it was a bad reaction to a drug my doctor upped the dosage on. :hs: