Thread ITT: Domon Mines your PII - How much do you pay for healthcare?

@APRIL...aren't you playing the COBRA game? My mom was an HR lady and once explained to me how you can stretch that shit out for 6 months without having to give them more than $50. You would only actually have to pay the premiums if you had to make an insurance claim, which at that point would probably be way less than paying out of pocket for whatever catastrophic thing caused you to need to make a claim in the first place. This would at least get you through to 2014 when insurance will hopefully be cheaper and easier to get.

Hmm... My cobra said I have until 8/31. I'll have to call to see what I can do. Thx

Last edited by a moderator:
@APRIL...aren't you playing the COBRA game? My mom was an HR lady and once explained to me how you can stretch that shit out for 6 months without having to give them more than $50. You would only actually have to pay the premiums if you had to make an insurance claim, which at that point would probably be way less than paying out of pocket for whatever catastrophic thing caused you to need to make a claim in the first place. This would at least get you through to 2014 when insurance will hopefully be cheaper and easier to get.

Hmm... My cobra said I have until 8/31. I'll have to call to see what I can do. Thx

It's only sixty days to elect coverage. I think it used to be six months...
@MapleySyrup

It's only sixty days to elect coverage. I think it used to be six months...
@MapleySyrup

I think what you do is elect coverage and then fail to pay them. In 30 days they'll send you a cancellation notice saying you are late and have 30 days to pay to avoid cancellation. You have now just bought yourself another 60 days. I can't remember what the next step is but you only ever actually send them money if you wind up needing it. Otherwise you just keep dragging it out as much as possible until you can secure other more reasonable costing coverage.

I think what you do is elect coverage and then fail to pay them. In 30 days they'll send you a cancellation notice saying you are late and have 30 days to pay to avoid cancellation. You have now just bought yourself another 60 days. I can't remember what the next step is but you only ever actually send them money if you wind up needing it. Otherwise you just keep dragging it out as much as possible until you can secure other more reasonable costing coverage.

Looks like its 45 days to pay, but good call!

http://www.medplanaccess.com/taking_advantage_cobra.htm

Update for Domon's PII mine - my plan, per person, has a 400 deductible, and 1700 maximum out of pocket. Per family, it has an $800 deductible and $3,325 maximum out of pocket. My surgery yesterday cost me $1100 (since they covered it to 90% after the $400 deductible, and it added up to $11,400 with my "plan discounts").