It's official guys, i'm a freakin texan

I'm having yet another Kevin Bacon moment. UNtil recently, I haven't known really about USAA. Now, I'm hearing about it everywhere within the past few weeks. assuming this USAA is the banking related USAA.

Last edited:
The jobs at USAA. Position is Business Intelligence Architect. On the offer letter it states Sr. Systems Analyst though.

Nice! That's puts you on the good side of town. That area is booming. Do you get any of the govt/veteran benefits?

Yes, there are a lot of trucks in Texas. No, Miatas aren't completely unheard of around here. Don't worry about it.

Perfect time of year for the long roadtrip. I recommend top down as much as possible.

You'll get your Texas driver's license from the Department of Public Safety (DPS; they'll transfer from your current state if it's current) and you'll get your Texas vehicle registration and license plate through your county tax assessor/collector. You're supposed to do both within the first month. Please send me one of your old Florida plates.

Whataburger is good despite the weird name, but most importantly they're usually open until 4am and they serve breakfast all day.

A great domestic beer is Shiner Bock.

you can carry a loaded shotgun in your car if you're going to travel across county lines.

I'll post more trivia as it occurs to me.

being scared simply means you are excited about this and have the drive to do well. you have a great attitude already about it...you will do GREAT and this is going to be a great experience for you!! :heart:
congratulations on such a big thing in your life!! :heart: best wishes and be sure to blog us on it every now and again. :heart:

Here's my advice, coming from someone that moved from Washington to Texass and then got the fuck out of there as soon as I could.

1. Be yourself. If there is one thing a Texan hates more than a non-texan, it's a non-texan trying to be a texan. Just realize that as long as you're there, you'll always be made fun of for not being a Texan. Deal with it and wear it around proudly. You'll get more respect that way than if you try to "Be one of them".

2. Congratulations, you live in Northern Mexico. If you don't speak Spanish, learn it, and fast.

3. It's legal to shoot someone messing with your property after dusk.
(a) If you shoot someone on your property during the daytime, drag them into your house.

Here's my advice, coming from someone that moved from Washington to Texass and then got the fuck out of there as soon as I could.

1. Be yourself. If there is one thing a Texan hates more than a non-texan, it's a non-texan trying to be a texan. Just realize that as long as you're there, you'll always be made fun of for not being a Texan. Deal with it and wear it around proudly. You'll get more respect that way than if you try to "Be one of them".

2. Congratulations, you live in Northern Mexico. If you don't speak Spanish, learn it, and fast.

(a) If you shoot someone on your property during the daytime, drag them into your house.
where in Texas were you? I love it here.

I don't speak spanish, but I'd like to learn it. Since you're in San Antone there's more spanish speaking than up here. Should be easy to pick up if you want to.

Try calf fries before you find out what they are.

Addendum: God be with you, buy you are going to have to learn to love canned beer.
bull-puckey. we drink long-necks too, just like the rest of the civilized world. canned beer is just handy when you want to grab a tall-tin for the road from the ice tub by the cash register.

where in Texas were you? I love it here.

I don't speak spanish, but I'd like to learn it. Since you're in San Antone there's more spanish speaking than up here. Should be easy to pick up if you want to.

Try calf fries before you find out what they are.

Houston

Eh?
Ive lived in the houston area nearly my whole life and

1 No one cares where youre from.

2 Yeah, the hispanic population here is huge, but theres no need to speak spanish unless you just want to. I dont speak it , aside from a few basic phrases

3 You cant just shoot poeple for "messing" with your property. Ever. If they force their way into your house, then yeah, you can kill the motherfucker, or if they threaten you with violence first, but shooting a guy for taking your newspaper or touching your car will just end you up in jail.