It's hot outside folks, keep water out for your animals

simple

Giant Member
Sep 30, 2004
^_^
Marklar
₥5
I was going to make this thread a few days ago, but was busy and didn’t make time for it.

I had a terrible experience last week. I got a knock on the door around dinner time from the elderly couple next door. They frantically asked me to help them out with their dog in the basement. It seems they left their flooded sump pump hole uncovered, with plans to get the water out from all the rain-causing-floods in our East Coast area. They were watching their grand children’s rather large black chow while they visited the beach. Anyways, the dog had gotten down into the basement, and fell into the hole. The hole for the pump was about 3 feet deep with about a foot of water in it. They came to me because they found the dog in the hole and were unable to pull it out themselves. When I got down to the basement all I saw were hind legs sticking out, I quickly pulled the dog out, water went everywhere and it weighed a ton. It looked like it had been in the water for awhile. I began chest compressions (I grew up around dogs and for some reason my grandfather had taught me this for dogs) just to see if it got me anywhere, and with the other hand I called my old neighbor who was a veterinarian for my parent’s puppy (his daughter had dated my brother). He drove over to the house and led me through full CPR for the dog until he got there. When he got to me he knew right away the dog had died and had been dead for some time. :(

The whole situation was so messed up. I knew the dog was long dead when I got him out of that hole, but I felt like I had to do what I could. On my way out of the house I looked briefly for a water bowl, but I didn’t see anything. I didn’t say anything to the family, but my guess is the chow was thirsty and tried to get into the hole for a drink of water, fell in and drowned to death. Their lesson will come when they have to explain to their grand kids what had happened. It’s all just so sad.

We’ve got a lot of animal lovers on this forum (Pandora especially), and I know this would never happen to you guys, but for everyone else or maybe even just a reminder: Remember to leave water out for your animals folks, check it FREQUENTLY

That is all.

yaya, I make sure to fill up the water bowl as often as I can. I'll usually empty the cup of water I'm drinking into the bowl before grabbing more ice and refilling

zengirl said:
Uh, we have one of these:

http://www.petsafestore.com/drbipetfo.html

We can leave for a few days and the animals won't be without water.

:fly:
never said I was actually making a difference, just saying that's what I do :o

besides, the waterbowl goes empty every day so I might as well keep refilling it

Sarcasmo said:
ELPMIS MADE OUT WITH A DEAD DOG. QUOTE THIS POST.

FlyNavy said:
never said I was actually making a difference, just saying that's what I do :o

besides, the waterbowl goes empty every day so I might as well keep refilling it
Lu is the one who drinks out of that bowl, so you know more ends up on the floor than in her bellah.

:eek:

I hope you really didn't make out with that dead dog. I would have given them an ear full instead of bending over backwards to make them feel better. They obviously didn't make much of an effort to make the dog feel good. Who the fusk leaves a chow outdoors in the middle of the day during the summer with no water?! I hope their grandkids give em what for. If it was a kid they'd be in jail...where they belong.

We used to worry that our cats would fall into the sump pump. They are never without water, but they are curious little animals and certainly could fall in by accident, or while chasing a bug or something. I hope this never happens. That poor doggy. :(