"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction..."

One of the Master Sergeants I knew was busted down a couple ranks and forcibly retired because he ended up using the government account to allow his troops to buy their own tools. I think he ended up getting caught because the scheme was that people would order what they want, pay the SnapOn guy with their money, then the SO guy would cancel the order from the government's side without cancelling it on SO's side so that everyone inventory stayed balanced. Eventually got busted because a couple guys didn't pay and the base got charged about a grand or so.

Was nice while it lasted though, I never bought anything, but one of the civilians ended up getting a fully stocked toolbox that retailed for about $35,000 for $10,000 or so.
Brutal, but a nice scam.

As it was explained to me: he orders tools for himself outside of the company's account and the vendors extend him the same pricing as a courtesy because he buys so much already for business. I never really thought about it much, I figure he's not going to put his livelihood at risk to save a few bucks on tools.

it's a shame the supplier didn't catch on to the simplicity of just creating another account for the non-govt purchases by the govt employees. Call it a professional courtesy. - The guy that lives behind where I keep my horse has an automotive parts distributorship & buys millions in parts from a couple main suppliers. He built a sweet ass hot rod for almost nothing as he just calls up the suppliers & says 'I'm gonna need a pair of headers part # xxxxxx to my home office,' & they just show up. no bill, nothing. it's a pittance compared to what he spends with that co.

Last edited:
so his crime was misusing a government discount for personal use?
Something along those lines, yes. I ended up hearing about it from someone that transferred to MacDill while I was there. I had met the MSgt while at tech school and the guy that transferred to MacDill had been stationed with him just before this stuff went down.

it's a shame the supplier didn't catch on to the simplicity of just creating another account for the non-govt purchases by the govt employees. Call it a professional courtesy. - The guy that lives behind where I keep my horse has an automotive parts distributorship & buys millions in parts from a couple main suppliers. He built a sweet ass hot rod for almost nothing as he just calls up the suppliers & says 'I'm gonna need a pair of headers part # xxxxxx to my house, & they just show up. no bill, nothing. it's a pittance compared to what he spends with that co.

You work for Harry? You just got fired.

oh. Thats right.

For some reason google was coming up with dumb and dumber. which ive never seen.