I am SOOOO Computer Savvy......

Candy

Flaccid Member
Jun 10, 2005
In a house with a Purple Room
Marklar
₥0
That when I was backing up all the data last night (and here VERY late doing so) I moved the files to the jump drive instead of copied them and lost some of our data. Our accounting data. So.... why are we using a jumpdrive for a backup system you might ask? Because our "IT" Guy has us on a tape backup which I don't trust. SO... I come in this morning, our software wont work because it has no database to look at, I figure out what I did, restored it and it was fine. Well, in the midst of all of this backing up last night, I recieved an error message stating there was no more room on the jump drive for the accounting software database. I hit OK, assuming that it just would not copy (or in this case, move) over to the jumpdrive and shit, if anything happend, we have our handy,dandy 1980's tape backup to pick up the peices.

WRONG.

The Quickbooks database is gone. An entire week's worth of work, down the shitter. in fact, I just this moment finished inputting MY HALF of the GD lost work.

Thank god the other files were still on the jump drive which I quietly moved back into their homes.

To top it all off, the first GD time I went to post this BEFORE I had to re-enter all the data, I accidently hit the 'close' button and lost my entire thread, which was much more entertaining than this one because I WAS SO MAD! Did I forget to mention that our CPA will be coming tomorrow to pick up all our reports that have to be redone? So, what's the plan?

a. Cross my fingers and hope the IT guy can figure out the 1980's tape backup and get this shit off the drive and back into its home before my boss finds out how bad this really is.

b. Get the REST of the stuff inputted (the stuff I have already done was just MY portion, there are others working on the rest) on time

c. Run out into oncoming traffic so I don't have to look at it anymore. It's my fault, and just because we can get the data back in does not necessarily
mean we can catch any mistakes as we have nothing to go by, just actual hardcopies of the paperwork.

Oh, and Shawn just called to tell me that Willy pissed on the air-mattress which is in a bag on tile, but ITS STILL PISS!

Has this ever happened to any of you? How did your boss take it? Keep in mind that I work for family so there really is no-holds-barred when it comes to communication (especially when angry.)

I've lost people's data before, but I've always been able to recover it. You guys might want to try a different backup routine, though. Hell, even burning the data to DVD would probably be better, and this is a solution you could implement for < $100.

I've lost people's data before, but I've always been able to recover it. You guys might want to try a different backup routine, though. Hell, even burning the data to DVD would probably be better, and this is a solution you could implement for < $100.

I'm just getting out of doing backups. I have my replacements doing it. I did daily tape backups, monthly ghost backups to a remote server that also gets tape backedup daily, and for really really important stuff we do offsite replecation too.

If I lose data I can not only cost us tons of money but fuck up someones finical aid or screw up their visa info and get them deported.

b_sinning said:
I'm just getting out of doing backups. I have my replacements doing it. I did daily tape backups, monthly ghost backups to a remote server that also gets tape backedup daily, and for really really important stuff we do offsite replecation too.

If I lose data I can not only cost us tons of money but fuck up someones finical aid or screw up their visa info and get them deported.

I can't fuck someone's life up that bad - the worst thing that could happen I guess is someone's account either gets debited or credited wrongly, or our figures would be incorrect for quarterly income tax. Eventually, I guess it will all come out in the wash.

For the record - I'm leaning twords jumping out into oncoming traffic.

Candy said:
I can't fuck someone's life up that bad - the worst thing that could happen I guess is someone's account either gets debited or credited wrongly, or our figures would be incorrect for quarterly income tax. Eventually, I guess it will all come out in the wash.

For the record - I'm leaning twords jumping out into oncoming traffic.

So what you're saying is who cares?

Losing data always sucks so bad. I know how you feel. No matter what you did your IT guy should be the one held accountable. It's his job to backup that stuff not yours.

All schools scan all documents now and are moving away from a paper environment. They must have everything saved in case of government audit. We still put some stuff in storage for 2 years but a lot of stuffis scanned then shredded. So we're becoming backup crazy. Better safe then sorry.

I always tell the new guys part of our job is taking blame. Even if others fuck stuff up you have to step up and take the blame and then fix it with out bitching to succeed.

Back in July my server at work crashed. It was a physical drive failure that destroyed over 3 years worth of development work I'd done - including most of my documentation and my entire knowledgebase.

The best part: Our previous network admin (who built and configured the server) didn't set the 4 drive array up as a redundant, and he didn't add it to the queue for the backup software so it wasn't backed up anywhere. I sent the failed drive in for recovery and was told that it would be ~ $8k for the recovery because it was a total filesystem failure. NTFS FTW. :(

Damn that sucks Cletus. I don't even think of raids on my servers as viable data backup even though I run all that stuff in raids. Only a few more days and I'll be out all the server stuff all together.

b_sinning said:
Damn that sucks Cletus. I don't even think of raids on my servers as viable data backup even though I run all that stuff in raids. Only a few more days and I'll be out all the server stuff all together.

RAID5 + hotspare = uptime++

Sarcasmo said:
So what you're saying is who cares?

No No No.... I CARE! My mistake won't cost someone their Visa or something like that. It does, however, affect my paycheck if it causes us to pay more in income taxes.

We are redoing the P & L reports now and so far, they are only off by a little bit - most of the data is back in and we are working out the kinks.

RAID would have at least been something, you know? I managed to save a SQL database that was stored on a different drive before I surrendered the server to be retired, so I got a good portion of my data back.

Plus, the new server they gave me is way better, it's a dual xeon with a gig of ram to replace my single PIII-733 with 128mb of ram. Not to mention that it's got about 200G of disk in it now whereas the old one had about 30G. It's also been added to the backup schedule.