Ontopic Housing issues thread

My grandfather was that way. He never made an insurance claim in his life either. He didn't believe in it. If it broke, he fixed it. If it leaked, he patched it. He never asked anyone for help. "Waste of money!"

While I don't disagree with the sentiment, if I pay for a service, ie insurance, I'm going to use it. Otherwise you are just throwing away money.

While I don't disagree with the sentiment, if I pay for a service, ie insurance, I'm going to use it. Otherwise you are just throwing away money.
Not even a service, more like an investment, just you get money when stuff goes poorly.

Mine hated Catholics and Italians. He hated anyone who wasn't white or protestant, but he hated Catholics and Italians more than anyone. I have no idea why. He also once had an argument with his brother and refused to talk to him for 30 years. People are so f*cking stupid sometimes. I can't stand my extended family.

My grandfather was a Catholic but he hated Italians too. It was weird. He was to the point where he wouldn't eat Italian food including pizza.

Given the lousy market for used homes in this area, I'm looking into the potential costs of buying a parcel of land and then building a new (but small) home for myself.
Would I have to buy the land outright or could I get a loan for the purchase of the land... Then mortgage for the new home construction? How does that work?
I have some money saved away, but not enough to purchase land *and* put a down payment on a mortgage with a bit of money left over for emergency needs, etc.

My gran used to be an awful racist, used to say wogs and all sorts of stuff. Every Sunday whenever I said to her 'Oh where's mum gone?' she'd be like 'Run off with a black man'. These days she's got with the times and isn't like that anymore. :fly:

my grandfather hated the french (french canadians in particular), but there's nothing wrong with that.

My gran used to be an awful racist, used to say wogs and all sorts of stuff. Every Sunday whenever I said to her 'Oh where's mum gone?' she'd be like 'Run off with a black man'. These days she's got with the times and isn't like that anymore. :fly:

:lol:

maybe your mom just stopped sleeping with black men?

Given the lousy market for used homes in this area, I'm looking into the potential costs of buying a parcel of land and then building a new (but small) home for myself.
Would I have to buy the land outright or could I get a loan for the purchase of the land... Then mortgage for the new home construction? How does that work?
I have some money saved away, but not enough to purchase land *and* put a down payment on a mortgage with a bit of money left over for emergency needs, etc.

In this market getting a construction loan is pretty tough.

It's tough to get a loan just for land.

Look for stuff with owner financing.

Homes in the area for sale either are complete dumps (eg. been stripped of all copper by meth/bath salts addicts), foreclosed homes needing significant repairs, or are nice homes out of my price range. There isn't much in between. I've been looking around 20mi+ radius of where I currently live and work and would rather not go farther. Farther means less chance of having internet access which is a primary necessity since my job depends on that.

Have you considered relocating to a metropolitan area that offers a good mix of single family homes, condos, garden homes, duplexes, etc.?

Closest metro area would be Boston, about 4 hrs away. I certainly don't have the cash to buy a home/condo/etc down there. Plus all of my clients are in this area. Rather not ditch them all, move to somewhere where I have to start from scratch, or line up a new job.

Homes in the area for sale either are complete dumps (eg. been stripped of all copper by meth/bath salts addicts), foreclosed homes needing significant repairs, or are nice homes out of my price range. There isn't much in between. I've been looking around 20mi+ radius of where I currently live and work and would rather not go farther. Farther means less chance of having internet access which is a primary necessity since my job depends on that.

Unfortunately, those dumps and homes in disrepair offer the most significant value to the right person. As a general rule, new construction on a value-added basis usually does not equal cost of construction.

Land loans are not impossible to get, but will usually require larger down payment and have a strict DCR. Each lender is different so just shop for an aggressive lender.