Pics Hobby Thread

@Mr. Argumentor need a metal nerd design review because I'm a metal dumbass

My kiln needs a base, and I want to build a rolling one. Here's what I've sketched up.

View attachment 18005

View attachment 18004

1" square structural tubing, which seems like it should be strong enough, but might be completely overkill and maybe I should be making it out of L bracket or something instead, The extra pieces in the corners are for the casters. .125" wall thickness tube isn't much more expensive than .063" so I'll probably go with the heavy stuff, I'd feel more confident tapping holes in it to mount the casters.

There's also gonna be sheet metal attached to the top of this thing. The bottom metal is rusted out of the kiln, and I figure it's easier to put the sheet steel on the cart as a single square than to fuck around cutting it into a decagon and bending up the corners all perfect and everything to replace the stock bottom.

Kiln weighs ~200lbs, figure at most there's another 100 maybe 150lbs of clay and shelves going into it. The casters I have are allegedly good for 250lbs/pop so I should be good there.

Thoughts/comments?
450lb shelving units are built way more cheaply lol

1701748840146.png

My kiln needs a base, and I want to build a rolling one. Here's what I've sketched up.

View attachment 18005

View attachment 18004

1" square structural tubing, which seems like it should be strong enough, but might be completely overkill and maybe I should be making it out of L bracket or something instead, The extra pieces in the corners are for the casters. .125" wall thickness tube isn't much more expensive than .063" so I'll probably go with the heavy stuff, I'd feel more confident tapping holes in it to mount the casters.

There's also gonna be sheet metal attached to the top of this thing. The bottom metal is rusted out of the kiln, and I figure it's easier to put the sheet steel on the cart as a single square than to fuck around cutting it into a decagon and bending up the corners all perfect and everything to replace the stock bottom.

Kiln weighs ~200lbs, figure at most there's another 100 maybe 150lbs of clay and shelves going into it. The casters I have are allegedly good for 250lbs/pop so I should be good there.

Thoughts/comments?
1" tube is probably overkill, but most of my crap usually is overkill. I recall I once made a steel boat transport thing, and when I actually learned some shit I did the math and found out I had created something with a factor of safety of 20

Not sure I agree with the sheet metal between? I don't know that I've seen a kiln with sheet metal across the stand. That could just be because sheet metal is more expensive than no sheet metal and artists are usually broke?
If the bottom is a solid layer, you could probably skip it. If it is bricks mortared together, I'd keep it

I assume you're gonna go with 1/4" bolts? You won't have much thread engagement tapping with those, and if one ever buggers up you'll be mildly hosed. Maybe rivnuts instead?

@Mean Mr. Mustard, any additional thoughts? The kiln probably doesn't even weigh 80lbs

View attachment 18005

View attachment 18004

Thoughts/comments?

Is this structure welded together? Even so, Id maybe put one more brace across the middle.
.125 sheet over the whole thing
All carbon steel, I assume?

lol just looked again and its only 32" x 30" , you could almost just put a pair if furniture dollys and a square of sheet metal under it.

1" tube is probably overkill, but most of my crap usually is overkill. I recall I once made a steel boat transport thing, and when I actually learned some shit I did the math and found out I had created something with a factor of safety of 20

Not sure I agree with the sheet metal between? I don't know that I've seen a kiln with sheet metal across the stand. That could just be because sheet metal is more expensive than no sheet metal and artists are usually broke?
If the bottom is a solid layer, you could probably skip it. If it is bricks mortared together, I'd keep it

I assume you're gonna go with 1/4" bolts? You won't have much thread engagement tapping with those, and if one ever buggers up you'll be mildly hosed. Maybe rivnuts instead?

@Mean Mr. Mustard, any additional thoughts? The kiln probably doesn't even weigh 80lbs
It's a big kiln, inside is 23" dia x 28" high, guessing 200lbs weight. A comparable kiln is the Skutt KM-1027, which has a shipping weight of 290lbs.

The kiln had sheet metal on its own bottom, but it's rusted through, so it'll be bare firebrick resting on the stand. Rather than replacing the metal bottom on the kiln itself I figure it's easier to just leave it off + put sheet metal on the base instead.

I was thinking .125" wall tubing would give me enough thread engagement. But I can go through the whole base + sheet metal with long bolts, as the caster bolts would be outside the footprint of the kiln that's on top.

lol just looked again and its only 32" x 30" , you could almost just put a pair if furniture dollys and a square of sheet metal under it.
Possibly, yeah.
It should only get warm, not hot.

Any reason it needs to be rollable? Last one I made was old bed frames welded together. Square of 18", legs going down 4-6" or so. Just wanted it off the ground so no condensation collected underneath

Possibly, yeah.

Any reason it needs to be rollable? Last one I made was old bed frames welded together. Square of 18", legs going down 4-6" or so. Just wanted it off the ground so no condensation collected underneath.
Portability is always a plus and refractory bricks are really heavy. It's probably not made of insulating brick.

Possibly, yeah.

Any reason it needs to be rollable? Last one I made was old bed frames welded together. Square of 18", legs going down 4-6" or so. Just wanted it off the ground so no condensation collected underneath
Rollable because it'll be likely pushed into a closet for storage, then rolled out to the middle of a room or even rolled outdoors for firing.

Weight wise, it took 3 of us to manhandle it up into a truck bed, even with the lid taken off. Shit's heavy.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
Rollable because it'll be likely pushed into a closet for storage, then rolled out to the middle of a room or even rolled outdoors for firing.

Weight wise, it took 3 of us to manhandle it up into a truck bed, even with the lid taken off. Shit's heavy.
If you're going with 1" square tube, I'd probably go with 16 ga. With a 500 pound load over 30", that's still a 1.6 safety factor.

And instead of tapping holes, I'd definitely go with rivnuts instead.

Allsky camera build. Raspberry Pi 4, PoE hat, 5vdc relay to control the dew heater that surrounds the camera lens. I forgot to photograph the acrylic dome and mast mount. I don't have a fancy 3d printer so I used a scrap piece of plastic to hold the camera up. Came out pretty good.

20231208_200505.jpg

20231208_200510.jpg

It’s cold but I had to try out some new pottery tools from Christmas. I’ll poke a hole for a straw where to rim is bent over after they’ve dried a little bit. IMG_7374.jpeg

Last edited: