Pics Hobby Thread

Picked up an Atlantic Molds A104 Christmas tree mold from some old people. Got my bucket of homemade stoneware casting slip all tweaked up and ready, and casted a tree. And a snail.

PXL_20231001_213236061_y4X5PZkG4l.jpeg

And I've got a bad idea. One of my friends runs Eurekatec, the shop that designed and built the animatronic face for Woody, the infamous talking Christmas tree:

Also the same shop that did the donair ornament project for me a few years back. They're 3D printing a mold for me, that I'm gonna use to make a plaster mold, to in turn slip cast a Woody face I'm gonna graft onto a tree.

If all goes well it'll go viral again, I'll sell a few, maybe auction one off for the local children's hospital or a food bank or something.

• Gravy
Reactions: Strings and fly
Making a mold, to make a mold, for another attempt at the solo cup.

The HH logo is my wife's new pottery business.

PXL_20231029_222238738.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
The wife's been making trees too. Not quite as butpluggy but hey, what can you do.

She's teaching a course this weekend to a bunch of people on how to do it. Running off a bunch of cone shaped jigs on the 3D printer right now that they'll be using.

treeeez.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: kiwi
@Mr. Argumentor need a metal nerd design review because I'm a metal dumbass

My kiln needs a base, and I want to build a rolling one. Here's what I've sketched up.

1701744513361.png

1701744050956.png

1" square structural tubing, which seems like it should be strong enough, but might be completely overkill and maybe I should be making it out of L bracket or something instead, The extra pieces in the corners are for the casters. .125" wall thickness tube isn't much more expensive than .063" so I'll probably go with the heavy stuff, I'd feel more confident tapping holes in it to mount the casters.

There's also gonna be sheet metal attached to the top of this thing. The bottom metal is rusted out of the kiln, and I figure it's easier to put the sheet steel on the cart as a single square than to fuck around cutting it into a decagon and bending up the corners all perfect and everything to replace the stock bottom.

Kiln weighs ~200lbs, figure at most there's another 100 maybe 150lbs of clay and shelves going into it. The casters I have are allegedly good for 250lbs/pop so I should be good there.

Thoughts/comments?

Oh and here's the kiln. The manual controls are being torn out and a Bartlett controller + relays + thermocouples are going into it instead.
Outside metal is coming off and getting cleaned up and painted.

It needs some hardware - the hinge reattached or replaced with a better one with a spring, a prop rod added to hold it open, etc. But other than that the brick and elements and everything are in fabulous shape.

kilnit.jpg