Ontopic Hobby Lobby - Did the Supreme Court go to far?

There are still a ton of people in this country that can't afford to just go out and get it- either they work when the clinic is open or they can't afford to pay out of pocket. Or still even have insurance. If their employer were the only way they could get their medical ish covered, and then that covered drug ceases to be covered, do you think they're going to go out and just get it/pay for it? Probably not. And that's a big part of why we have almost a million unwanted pregnancies in this country every year.
Unwanted pregnancies aren't in the Constitution.

And yet Americans are forced to pay for them every day.

it's not going to change. You can't legislate away stupidity. When two hormonally jacked teens get together neither one is thinking about birth control when they're thinking about 'this thing goes in that thing.' And the rest of the time they're spending their money and time on things they care about.

1.5 milion women are on birth control pills to alleviate symptoms of a wide range of reproductive-related issues and not to prevent babies.

So what about those women that cant take BC, the Government is shoving free BC down THEIR THROATS

I also think it's interesting that only the guys here are like "DUDE BC IS AVAILABLE EVERYWHEREZ", whereas I can personally tell you that it's taken me the past three years to find a suitable BCP that alleviates my dysmenorrhea, ovarian cyst issues, and other repro issues that make preventing pregnancy seem like a fleeting afterthought, that agrees with my body. It's not easy to obtain, I need a prior Auth for insurance to cover it, and have it specially stocked at my local pharmacy. If my employer were to suddenly up and tell me that maintaining my health were tantamount to abortion, I'd gladly hand them my baby and at-risk pregnancy bills after 9 months and let them deal with that shitstorm.

Actually that Hobby Lobby had an issue with was Plan-B and similar types of "contraceptive". Not proactive birth control. They didnt want irresponsible people to have all the un protected sex they can then go "abort" the possible pregnancy. Hobby Lobby was and is ok with supplying proactive birth control to their employees through medical coverage.

There are still a ton of people in this country that can't afford to just go out and get it- either they work when the clinic is open or they can't afford to pay out of pocket. Or still even have insurance. If their employer were the only way they could get their medical ish covered, and then that covered drug ceases to be covered, do you think they're going to go out and just get it/pay for it? Probably not. And that's a big part of why we have almost a million unwanted pregnancies in this country every year.

You think we had the $125/month easily laying around at that time to get it? I couldn't just use *any* brand either, it has to be a specific name brand do deal with the medical issues. Luis had just been laid off, took crap pay job just to keep us in our house. I wasn't working as our son just turned 1 and I quit to raise him at home. We were paying for private insurance since medical wasn't even offered at the time and didn't have any extras at all. So yeah my sympathy levels here for this argument are pretty low seriously.

I found a way to make it work. It was a PITA and I had to order it from Canada, but I made it work.

Sorry your argument means little to me since we have been there.

Not exactly the same but similar: I am on BCP for several reasons. 1 for PMDD and 2 because my life can be in danger if I get pregnant. My previous insurance due to my shitty history refused to pay for my medical treatment if I got pregnant yet they refused to cover my BCP. I paid for it OOP for years.

That's the option - no one is saying you can't get it yourself, you just have to get it. Oddly both cases are okay'd by the church if nothing else works (and nothing else does for me) so even my religious convictions if strong about BCPs would be exempt in this case. I still paid for it and just dealt with it.

Now I pay $25/month to pay for the brand name version since insurance won't pay for anything other than generics. No big deal... we deal with it. So if you need it you deal with it.

Not sure I care enough about this honestly. I'm somewhat torn between forcing companies to pay for something that goes against them, however the whole BCP thing is something I personally benefit from even if I am not sure we need to force comapnies to pay for it.

So you're the one in a million.

I'm sure lots of men have told you this.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and APRIL
So you're the one in a million.

I'm sure lots of men have told you this.
Huh?

I just found the argument kind of silly that's all. I'm mostly liberal but sometimes I swear people in the US think they are entitled to everything. We made life work for us at some expense but I didn't expect the world to fix it for me.

Actually the reason we have almost a million unwanted pregnancies every year is people that cant be responsible enough to take precautions and then personal responsibility after the fact of their fuck up.

Actually the reason we have almost a million unwanted pregnancies every year is people that cant be responsible enough to take precautions and then personal responsibility after the fact of their fuck up.

Yeah, if you can't afford BC (regardless of the means of BC), but the only reason you want BC is for sex, then you shouldn't be having sex.

What about abortion is not taking responsibility?