Ontopic Hobby Lobby - Did the Supreme Court go to far?

I also think it's interesting that only the guys here are like "DUDE BC IS AVAILABLE EVERYWHEREZ", whereas I can personally tell you that it's taken me the past three years to find a suitable BCP that alleviates my dysmenorrhea, ovarian cyst issues, and other repro issues that make preventing pregnancy seem like a fleeting afterthought, that agrees with my body. It's not easy to obtain, I need a prior Auth for insurance to cover it, and have it specially stocked at my local pharmacy. If my employer were to suddenly up and tell me that maintaining my health were tantamount to abortion, I'd gladly hand them my baby and at-risk pregnancy bills after 9 months and let them deal with that shitstorm.

I also think it's interesting that only the guys here are like "DUDE BC IS AVAILABLE EVERYWHEREZ", whereas I can personally tell you that it's taken me the past three years to find a suitable BCP that alleviates my dysmenorrhea, ovarian cyst issues, and other repro issues that make preventing pregnancy seem like a fleeting afterthought, that agrees with my body. It's not easy to obtain, I need a prior Auth for insurance to cover it, and have it specially stocked at my local pharmacy. If my employer were to suddenly up and tell me that maintaining my health were tantamount to abortion, I'd gladly hand them my baby and at-risk pregnancy bills after 9 months and let them deal with that shitstorm.
And you're still welcome to do that now. Just don't expect Hobby Lobby to pay for it.

the company you work for doesnt get to decide what your insurance does or doesnt cover. Thats up to your insurance company.
Untrue.

I used to be a pharm benefits manager and back then, companies had every say in determining what drugs were covered under what schedule and everything.

Would you quit your job if your daughter were diagnosed with PCOS and needed BCP, and your employer told you that they didn't want your post-pubescent child having an abortion? Or would you spend your free time trying to find a clinic that can give out free/cheap BCP that agrees with her?

Not exactly the same but similar: I am on BCP for several reasons. 1 for PMDD and 2 because my life can be in danger if I get pregnant. My previous insurance due to my shitty history refused to pay for my medical treatment if I got pregnant yet they refused to cover my BCP. I paid for it OOP for years.

That's the option - no one is saying you can't get it yourself, you just have to get it. Oddly both cases are okay'd by the church if nothing else works (and nothing else does for me) so even my religious convictions if strong about BCPs would be exempt in this case. I still paid for it and just dealt with it.

Now I pay $25/month to pay for the brand name version since insurance won't pay for anything other than generics. No big deal... we deal with it. So if you need it you deal with it.

Not sure I care enough about this honestly. I'm somewhat torn between forcing companies to pay for something that goes against them, however the whole BCP thing is something I personally benefit from even if I am not sure we need to force comapnies to pay for it.

And you're still welcome to do that now. Just don't expect Hobby Lobby to pay for it.
It's not just Hobby Lobby anymore, it's any company with anyone that doesn't believe in medically-maintained non-pregnancies on the Board of Saysos that can decide if I get covered or not.

lol, but you can get it at the grocery store, amirite?

:rofl:

Would you quit your job if your daughter were diagnosed with PCOS and needed BCP, and your employer told you that they didn't want your post-pubescent child having an abortion? Or would you spend your free time trying to find a clinic that can give out free/cheap BCP that agrees with her?

regardless of the logic of the following response, I have a feeling we're going to disagree at the end of this.

Aspirin as a blood thinner doesn't make it headache medicine in the exact same way that hormone balancing meds treating PCOS doesn't make it birth control.

to simplify for the rest, using a prescription bottle full of birth control medicine as paperweight doesn't make it birth control. It's a paperweight until the medicine inside is being used as birth control.

It's not just Hobby Lobby anymore, it's any company with anyone that doesn't believe in medically-maintained non-pregnancies on the Board of Saysos that can decide if I get covered or not.
Exactly. Its a free country. And this is a limited ruling. Pay for it yourself or go work some place that wasn't founded on Christian beliefs.

You get a medicaid card and a letter here if your plan doesnt offer BCP
OYjakBB.png

If course... I dont actually need any of that stuff but eh.

The medicine you're taking for this is related to your medical needs, not birth control.

The Catholic Church will even help you get the meds you need all day long.

The medicine you're taking for this is related to your medical needs, not birth control.

The Catholic Church will even help you get the meds you need all day long.
but not before judging you and doubting your intentions.

• Gravy
Reactions: Casper
Not exactly the same but similar: I am on BCP for several reasons. 1 for PMDD and 2 because my life can be in danger if I get pregnant. My previous insurance due to my shitty history refused to pay for my medical treatment if I got pregnant yet they refused to cover my BCP. I paid for it OOP for years.

That's the option - no one is saying you can't get it yourself, you just have to get it. Oddly both cases are okay'd by the church if nothing else works (and nothing else does for me) so even my religious convictions if strong about BCPs would be exempt in this case. I still paid for it and just dealt with it.

Now I pay $25/month to pay for the brand name version since insurance won't pay for anything other than generics. No big deal... we deal with it. So if you need it you deal with it.

Not sure I care enough about this honestly. I'm somewhat torn between forcing companies to pay for something that goes against them, however the whole BCP thing is something I personally benefit from even if I am not sure we need to force comapnies to pay for it.

There are still a ton of people in this country that can't afford to just go out and get it- either they work when the clinic is open or they can't afford to pay out of pocket. Or still even have insurance. If their employer were the only way they could get their medical ish covered, and then that covered drug ceases to be covered, do you think they're going to go out and just get it/pay for it? Probably not. And that's a big part of why we have almost a million unwanted pregnancies in this country every year.