Ontopic Hobby Lobby - Did the Supreme Court go to far?

fly

omg
Oct 1, 2004
Marklar
₥84,313
Steam
mattressfish
So just as the title suggests, did they?

Cliffs for the uneducated: Hobby Lobby is a large, rich, Christian company. They fought the Obamacare stipulation that they were required to offer bith control to their employees. It went against their Christian values and the Supreme Court agreed that they (and other closely held companies) do not have to offer birth control.

Apparently the work around will be that the healthcare companies will instead offer it to their employees for free. Theoretically.

Okay, fine, I'll start. I think its absolutely the right ruling and that SCOTUS was spot on in their ruling. While I think the Christian religion is dumb, the people that don't should not be forced to pay for care they don't agree with. Apparently, this has actually been the case for 20 years since Clinton signed a bill into law. This was it's biggest test though I guess.

Try not to get all angry and bitchy in this thread, its only the internet.

• Gravy
Reactions: Peppers
The benefits of offering birth control far outweigh the value of a belief system that isn't grounded in reality. If there is a workaround, then wonderful. I didn't think there was.

The benefits of offering birth control far outweigh the value of a belief system that isn't grounded in reality. If there is a workaround, then wonderful. I didn't think there was.
Apparently that was the workaround enacted for the Sisters of the Poor (or something like that name). The difference is that they were a non-profit. And lets not forget, there are other workarounds too:

* Buy it yourself
* Work someplace else

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
They don't offer any sort of medically competent medication to their employees because they have deemed them "abortion-driven", which is scientifically unsound. Anything scientifically unsound makes my butthole clench shut. The only people that should be making medical decisions based on desire of care are the FEMALE PATIENT involved and her medically-competent practitioner.

They also now have kicked the door open to deeming medically competent practices and other practices unfit due to a very specific religion. Which religion gets to decide what's fair for everyone? Wasn't this country founded on people being able to live life as they choose under whichever religion they want, without their employer shoving their cocks of holiness down their throats?

That and oh praise jebus! Viagara and other dick-worshipping medications are readily available for their employees! :rolleyes:

True. But if we're doing the ACA because we believe health care is a right, then an employee shouldn't have to work someplace else.

It's really no concern of the business. I don't know which employees of mine are on the pill. It's not for me to know.

True. But if we're doing the ACA because we believe health care is a right, then an employee shouldn't have to work someplace else.

It's really no concern of the business. I don't know which employees of mine are on the pill. It's not for me to know.
I wonder if Hobby Lobby makes their employees punch a card every time they try to imbue the Holy Spirit to make a child in their spouse :rolleyes:

Wasn't this country founded on people being able to live life as they choose under whichever religion they want, without their employer shoving their cocks of holiness down their throats?

Couldnt the same be said about the government here. They are forcing a private citizen to do something that they dont believe in. If you dont like what your employer did change jobs.

• Gravy
Reactions: Peppers
I've figured this out. April is Frank from China, IL.

She just sides with whatever opinion seems strongest at the time.

They don't offer any sort of medically competent medication to their employees because they have deemed them "abortion-driven", which is scientifically unsound. Anything scientifically unsound makes my butthole clench shut. The only people that should be making medical decisions based on desire of care are the FEMALE PATIENT involved and her medically-competent practitioner.

They also now have kicked the door open to deeming medically competent practices and other practices unfit due to a very specific religion. Which religion gets to decide what's fair for everyone? Wasn't this country founded on people being able to live life as they choose under whichever religion they want, without their employer shoving their cocks of holiness down their throats?

That and oh praise jebus! Viagara and other dick-worshipping medications are readily available for their employees! :rolleyes:
I'm sorry, did you think religion was scientifically sound? And yes, any other religiously founded company should be able to challenge things they don't agree with. And btw, that's been the law for 20 years.

Would you quit your job if your daughter were diagnosed with PCOS and needed BCP, and your employer told you that they didn't want your post-pubescent child having an abortion? Or would you spend your free time trying to find a clinic that can give out free/cheap BCP that agrees with her?

2 things.

It was the right ruling.

Birth control is offered for FREE by the ACA. Just because you cant get it through your employer doesnt make it unavailable.

I have Catholic Healthcare coverage and the state sends this little booklet of procedure they cover because my health plan doesnt.

I'm sorry, did you think religion was scientifically sound? And yes, any other religiously founded company should be able to challenge things they don't agree with. And btw, that's been the law for 20 years.
Hobby Lobby wasn't founded to preach the holy whatever they believe in, they are a for-profit company that sells bullshit cheapass crafty things. If they were the Church of Duckcloth Christ of Ginghamday Paints then they might have a leg to stand on. Unfortunately the SCOTUS has ruled that all corporations do not have to follow any sort of standard imposed by the ACA, which was meant to provide all Americans with fair and universal health care, because they can now make up some bs "belief" or reason to exclude fair medical practices and medications from their coverage, which puts their employees in a difficult place if they need something that's no longer offered.

Would you quit your job if your daughter were diagnosed with PCOS and needed BCP, and your employer told you that they didn't want your post-pubescent child having an abortion? Or would you spend your free time trying to find a clinic that can give out free/cheap BCP that agrees with her?

Ahh youre one of those people that uses a 1 in a million example to show how your point is the only right one there is ....

the company you work for doesnt get to decide what your insurance does or doesnt cover. Thats up to your insurance company. Who you're paying (and theyre paying, but just because you pay someone for something doesnt mean you get to demand exactly how it is). The insurance company is selling a product.

Just because you want to buy a car that has had the airbags, seats, crumple zones, and left rear wheel removed from a dealer, doesnt mean you get to tell the dealer to remove those parts and then sell you the car because you dont believe in safety.

'we believe healthcare is a right' is a false assumption spewed and respewed by the leftwing media so the low information voters have something to believe in. It has nothing to do with reality, or 'rights' whatsoever. "healthcare" isn't even defined. The phrase is a feelgood meaningless statement. & for those reality based readers out there, you already know 'Rights' can't be purchased. The low information voters would like you to think they are, but they're not.

It's the same as 'we'll do anything in our power to protect you.' it sounds good, and warm, and fuzzy, as long as the low information voters never discuss the definition of 'our power.'

The individual that wants birth control can take their money and pay for it themselves. Absolutely no one is stopping them. The marketplace isn't closed if it's not covered. And Obama and the entire democrat wing can say 'lets make all birthcontrol deductible and give anyone making less than $140,000/year free ones because we're the good guys.'

Ahh youre one of those people that uses a 1 in a million example to show how your point is the only right one there is ....
Exactly. Twenty years time has proven that what she's suggesting isn't the case. Also making up some BS belief would not pass the court's muster.