Ontopic History of an Old Car

Oh, and I also cleaned out the garage. I was using an angle grinder, hot sparks touched on something (god knows what) that was left over from where I had been working on something. Had a very nice little flare up, filled the garage with smoke, scorched about a foot's radius of my work bench.

Was a nice little warning sign, cleaned everything out and cleaned up fire hazards. Still have some work to do, but most of it is taken care of.

It honestly depends on what I'm doing.
I usually clean up and sweep when I'm done with a large job, but when I do little jobs I might not care as much.

I honestly can't think of what I have back there that was so volatile. I can see some metal powder/filings going off after there was a fire, but I believe they'd need something else to set them off other than hot sparks.

I had been doing a lot of metal working in the previous week that I hadn't cleaned up enough, so there was a good amount of metal filings, but not really anything else.

A while back I got a new dash/gauge cluster as my old one was... well, old.

I pulled all the stuff out of the old one I could reuse, then tossed the old one in the trash. A couple minutes later I opened the trash can and looked at the old cluster and felt sorta sad.

So I pulled it out.
Thought for a little bit.
Then I went to Ikea

HS1fjeG.jpg

Wandered around and found some supplies
1OvnrDu.jpg

iXVsvgF.jpg

Ql6CgGf.jpg

I brewed up some quick ABS Goop to reinforce the old mounting spots
nQIPvhC.jpg

Paint & Mask
ktLbdAm.jpg

jcWm8Zj.jpg

Not great, but I'm not looking for great, just ok
IURuSwg.jpg

Y2ECHaJ.jpg

Pen holder. I feel I should Pinterest this
3ApmdLW.jpg

Get it up tight dude, I hate when you see poorly installed exhaust hanging all ghetto under a car. Really takes away from the overall build IMHO

Edit: plus, speed bumps and manhole covers...

Why not just do them to the body? Weld some studs on and use some form of OEM type rubber hanger donuts

Between cleaning 40+years of grime and oil based crud off, and finding a spot that is structurally sound enough (my floor pans are BAD) I think it would be easier to use the stock hanger system (as every car came with most of the provisions for them)
I might weld the hangers for the pipes that go over the axle, but everywhere else is a bit iffy.

Dude, the stock I6 exhaust has one hanger at the muffler.

Why are you even doing dual exhaust on it? You'll see performance loss for sure, those tubes look to be 2"+

Dude, the stock I6 exhaust has one hanger at the muffler.

Why are you even doing dual exhaust on it? You'll see performance loss for sure, those tubes look to be 2"+
:sigh:
Do us both a favor, when you get information about my year Mustang in order to try and call me out, please get it from a reputable source?
There was a change over mid-year, one of them had a muffler that was parallel to the engine, the other was a transverse setup. The transverse setup had a muffler that ran parallel to the rear axle and had two hangers on it.
Guess which setup my car had?
And who said I was going to use a 6-cylinder exhaust hanger setup for my car? And why do you think that I'm going to attempt to reuse hangers that are as old as the car? (that being the only reason I can think of that you'd bring up the 6-cylinder exhaust hangers)

If everything goes as planned, this engine won't be in the car for long (subjectively)

Why do you even come in here? I don't think I've seen you say one positive thing in this thread. Seriously guy, if you only come in here to try and rain on my parade, you're wasting both your time and mine.

There's no way I would've known that about your exhaust. And I already told you you learned me about the calipers.

Also, they make new hangers. My suggestion was to use the original mount point.

I'm not knocking your build or trying to threadcrap. I just don't see the point to an exhaust that large on a small 6. If you're going to V8 swap the car in the near future, why weld up the new exhaust now just to chop it up later?

Based on the entirety of your thread(s) on this car, it seems to need wiring, floors, and you're building a new drive line... Why do all these piddly little projects just to redo them later? Do the metal work while you build the engine and then swap it in and go. Solves your rust problem, as well as others in one go and saves you tons of hours bandaid fixing stuff in the interim. How many hours have you already spent? What if you'd taken the plunge right away, how far towards done would you already be? What's your reluctance to doing actual work on it? Have you made a build plan yet?

I read through the first 2 or 3 pages. Was pretty cool. May have to read through the rest.

You driving this sometimes now? Even if it's not done done but drivable?