Ontopic History of an Old Car

Honestly, after buying a thing of trimmer line, then going through all that it might be easier to just buy a thing of nylon filament.
I think I've seen them for under $60 for 3/4 kg?
Cost/time tradeoff. You'll want to bake "real" nylon anyway, we print nylon stuff in the ultimaker at work and if the spool's out for a couple of days, print quality goes to hell.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
Makin fancy dildos to put my fancy dildos in.

fd179c0b94a7822e5f0a8ea30133ed74.jpg

5f81e2a63e13adfa75e7417ccb41c9c3.jpg

7e9f7e6888309e873363b0e3c5509e39.jpg

ab450262aaeba37f5013c2e7babccdc2.jpg

bbc0b61decccd0afdbebc4ca40c757c1.jpg

030069c00262d2ba8dbf3fbc793c4895.jpg

da29a3e2f0834277c7f4923da00da3f2.jpg

fdd0e4cb44269f4c4d2585d1aad13a50.jpg

abd59f2d7891b37b6bc03694fbd90b8c.jpg

Not that it matters for your purposes, or for metal that thin, but im pretty sure that bead is mostly just sitting on top of the metal.

I just need it to be water tight, but it isn't just sitting on top. Its thin enough I had to be real careful to not burn through it. Tig would have been much better than mig but it's down and I suck at tig anyways.

I didn't really run a continuous bead, I pulsed the trigger on and off keeping the bead yellow-white (on for a second, off for half a second?) at a minimum and proceeded along the length like that. Despite that I still burned through on average 2.5 times per cylinder. The advantage of that is there is real good penetration on the inside.

I just need it to be water tight, but it isn't just sitting on top. Its thin enough I had to be real careful to not burn through it. Tig would have been much better than mig but it's down and I suck at tig anyways.

I didn't really run a continuous bead, I pulsed the trigger on and off keeping the bead yellow-white (on for a second, off for half a second?) at a minimum and proceeded along the length like that. Despite that I still burned through on average 2.5 times per cylinder. The advantage of that is there is real good penetration on the inside.

ahhh, thats why it looks weird.

I bet if you turn your wire feed rate way way down, and use the thinnest wire possible, you could get the same result without the excess metal on the bead.

less wire = less heat to melt = less burn through.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
ahhh, thats why it looks weird.

I bet if you turn your wire feed rate way way down, and use the thinnest wire possible, you could get the same result without the excess metal on the bead.

less wire = less heat to melt = less burn through.
Ugh, rethreading a welder just to run thinner wire is the worst.

Especially when you let the tension off the wire that's in there, and it springs all over everything.

Back to this ^^^ now that I have time, a good part of it is the supplies I have available.

I'm assuming that you're not talking about just sticking the part upside down in a bucket and packing sand around it. That itself wouldn't work for several reasons, it wouldn't burn out cleanly, it wouldn't fill in the gaps completely, and you'd possibly get sand mixing with the part into some nasty sand/aluminum amalgamation due to the inability to pack it all properly in a bucket. You'd have to make an actual greensand mold with the cope and drag method (I specify that as the top and bottom of these are not symmetric, so it would require a top and bottom)

So, investment casting is what I'm doing, it gets you a good surface finish, and great dimensional accuracy, it destroys the positive, no flash (although I'll have to clean off the main sprue/gate,) and it usually allows for really intricate parts without a core mold.
Sand molds are about the opposite of all that, and in addition you can still get a little bit of sprue washout which will again net you the sand/aluminum nastiness.

@Jehannum

Last edited:
So, I spoke with a couple of the technical folks that deal with the metal filament. They gave me a few pointers on what it would take to get my designs to work. Generally a generative design is successful with these filaments, although they said that eliminating as much empty space as possible helps, if you cannot do that and cannot print a solid piece then using a "fatter" infill style is a good thing.

So, we have this for the rear. Still printing the front.
lpP8C3D.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum