Ontopic Health Thread: post your AIDS, diseases and infekshunz here.

Reclining Best Friends GIF by TV Land Classic

• Gravy
Reactions: Strings
makes perfect sense.
do you have a daily PSW (personal supper worker) that visits and helps with bathing etc

also if this has already been posted / shared i sowweeee

No, I have a once a week nurse and a once a week aide who will assist with a shower if I need it, which I do. The past two weeks, I haven’t been able to do it though so she got the day off (from me anyway).

I’m unsure if there’s another level of care beyond that available with the insurance coverage I have, but it seems that when I get worse, I qualify for more stuff. The first time I was discharged from the hospital (this year), I didn’t qualify for a nurse, home aide, nothing. After the second or third, I qualified. I think if I need more aide help or more frequent visits, I have to “qualify” for that too.

I’ll be showering soon hopefully because I’m starting to stink. I checked my calendar in my iPad and it’s been 28 days since the last one.

No, I have a once a week nurse and a once a week aide who will assist with a shower if I need it, which I do. The past two weeks, I haven’t been able to do it though so she got the day off (from me anyway).

I’m unsure if there’s another level of care beyond that available with the insurance coverage I have, but it seems that when I get worse, I qualify for more stuff. The first time I was discharged from the hospital (this year), I didn’t qualify for a nurse, home aide, nothing. After the second or third, I qualified. I think if I need more aide help or more frequent visits, I have to “qualify” for that too.
I'm assuming you know this, but make sure to sound as un-independent as possible. Sucks for the ego, but apparently can get you more help. A social worker just STRONGLY reiterated that to a friend of mine that is trying to get his mom and dad help.

I'm assuming you know this, but make sure to sound as un-independent as possible. Sucks for the ego, but apparently can get you more help. A social worker just STRONGLY reiterated that to a friend of mine that is trying to get his mom and dad help.

Oh of course. But they use actual numbers and have me do stuff and measure ability. Yesterday, the nurse had me walk to my bathroom, get out a scale, stand on it. Then she measured my oxygen saturation. I was really angered the last time I was in the hospital because a “physical therapist” who had an axe to grind or something, had me pace back and forth in the hospital room until I got tired, measured my O2, and promptly disqualified me for any “at home” help, period. By “axe to grind”, I mean she had a worse limp than me and I believe that was coloring her assessment.

Then, an “occupational therapist” had me put on my shoes and brush my teeth, then she measured my O2. I described what had happened with the other therapist and she said not to worry, I clearly qualified based on her tests.

I much prefer they use actual numbers or whatever, and leave personal feeling out of it.

Kind of like when they were discharging me, and I refused to be. Then they reluctantly got a second opinion, and I was on the surgery docket the next day. Medicine is still a “practice”.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
I'm not enjoying my allergy injections lately. I had to take 2 weeks off after getting my 1st Covid-19 vaccination. Feels like I'm starting again. Injection sites feels like someone pushing a soldering iron into my arm. Benedryl cream no longer works. And it's an early spring here in Maine (well mostly) so pollen is out in full force.

• Sad
Reactions: wetwillie
I think my cv19 vaccine had me feeling a little punky yesterday, slept a lot. Took a daytime nap which is unusual for me. Feeling ready to go this a.m. so hoping that's it.

my grandpa is having surgery to repair his aortic dissection.
his tear has gone down and branched down into his groin, his right kidney is failing and his colon is almost all gone.
hes been in surgery since 8am (its an 8+ hr surgery)
hes in super bad condition.

my grandpa made it out of surgery!!!!
his kidney and colon are now getting blood supply!
they have told me i can see him today at 2pm.
my grandma held prayer circles every hour with multiple family members (via zoom) from all over the world

and all she kept praying for were the doctors and to “bless their hands”
it got her thru this

my grandpa made it out of surgery!!!!
his kidney and colon are now getting blood supply!
they have told me i can see him today at 2pm.
my grandma held prayer circles every hour with multiple family members (via zoom) from all over the world

and all she kept praying for were the doctors and to “bless their hands”
it got her thru this
So glad to hear this. Enough sickness and sad shit already. Positive healing vibes transmitted.

• Love
Reactions: Petunia
After going 35 days without, I finally was able to take a shower yesterday. This one took just under two hours from the time I started prepping to when I was done and dressed. I did a double nebulizer dose and took 4X the usual oxycodone dose prior to showering. The nurses all said to take extra oxycodone as it supposedly opens the airways. I think it just makes the patient care less about reduced airways.

I was ruined the rest of the day and just laid there and was in bed beforepm.

My rate of decline is fairly interesting to observe. Not so great living it though.

And yet, the cigarettes still call out to me daily, sometimes several times a day. I vaped a bowl of weed last week though and that was lovely.

waaaaaa