Got student loans?

fly

omg
Oct 1, 2004
Marklar
₥84,363
Steam
mattressfish
if you have student loans, CONSOLIDATE THEM NOW!!! Starting July 1st, the interest rate climbs another 2%. Over the life of the loan that will end up being a rather LARGE difference in price.

If you have all your loans with the same company, you're likely screwed out of getting the best deal (because you HAVE to refinance with ONLY that company), but its still better than a 2% increase.

inline4 said:
Avoiding college > student loans

and yes i'll go at some point in my life.. but not right now..

That is the most insane thing I have ever read. I went to school on loans and the ROI is totally worth it. I paid off my loans entirely as did my wife within 2 years of graduation. The higher income I have realized in the long run because of having my degree has far outweighed any initial loss of income.

Go to school as soon as you are able, even if you have to take a loan, worry about paying it off later. Just be smart about what field of study you choose and be proactive about your education and you will do fine. Also, keep your credit card debt to a minimum, overuse of a high APR card is what I see most students doing to get into financial trouble.

so fly, how's the best way to study consolidation? what are some good programs out there (reputable ones?) what should i know when doing it? i need help doing it, and quickly. i'm glad you reminded me.

Thorn Bird said:
so fly, how's the best way to study consolidation? what are some good programs out there (reputable ones?) what should i know when doing it? i need help doing it, and quickly. i'm glad you reminded me.
First, are the student loans with more than one lender? If so, check out UHEAA. It looks like they still offer a crazy 1.25% rate reduction for using automatic payments (most places give you <.5%).

If the loans are only with one lender, you'll just have to go to that lender's site and fill out a consolidation form. The process is LONG. It takes 60-90 days to complete, but as long as you submit the form by 6/30, you'll lock in the lower rate.

DO IT QUICKLY!!!

shawndavid said:
Don't go until you're ready, bro. You don't want to waste your time or damage your future GPA.

True statement, the only reason i believe not to go to college is if you think you won't be able to complete a degree, be it work or family obligations or whatever. The only thing worse than graduating with a ton of loans is not graduating with a ton of loans.

haha y'alls tax dollars are gonna be paying for the next eight years of my education. kiss my ass <3

Last edited:
FlyNavy said:
as of september 23 I'll technically be a reservist in the USMC (but it wouldn't be right to call myself one until after basic so I won't)
I thought the GI Bill only paid for education you recieved after joining.

FlyNavy said:
thus the reason I said y'all will be paying for the next eight years of my education
Eight years of what? Are you getting a PhD in Organic Chemistry? :p

FlamingGlory said:
Eight years of what? Are you getting a PhD in Organic Chemistry? :p
aeronautical engineering has always been at the top of my list but a pure mathematics degree would be just as nice. but I'm also fascinated by linguistics and forensic psychology. a doctorate in at least one of those with a masters in one or two others would be ideal but one step at a time. either way I plan on staying in some kind of school for as long as I can and getting the .gov to pay for as much of it as possible. in exchange for getting shot at, of course :p

FlyNavy said:
thus the reason I said y'all will be paying for the next eight years of my education
I have friends who double dip with their work paying for school. Technically, its illegal, but an extra $30k in the pocket can make it worth it...

FlyNavy said:
aeronautical engineering has always been at the top of my list but a pure mathematics degree would be just as nice. but I'm also fascinated by linguistics and forensic psychology. a doctorate in at least one of those with a masters in one or two others would be ideal but one step at a time. either way I plan on staying in some kind of school for as long as I can and getting the .gov to pay for as much of it as possible. in exchange for getting shot at, of course :p
:cool: ,