Gosh Texas is f$#@ed up

HelenLovejoy_t630.jpg

Because that was the whole premise of the bill in the first place; to educate children about religion, using the Bible as context.

The law is incredibly unclear now that I look it up. Probably was supposed to support some kind of protestant agenda but knee jerk reactions like this thread so ably demonstrates are just as bad. Omg religion bad blah blah blah etc. No one has a problem with state supported Atheism, a dogma I remember some public school teachers relishing.

Im against mandated education in the first place, just like compulsory testing it just isnt good. Schools are supposed to be local and under the control of the people who use them. Either way back on topic.

Religious education or bible reading isnt the same as sunday school. Bible is a unique book, large parts of it are contemporary historic accounts and it has had a major impact on western culture. You aren't going to get away with teaching "interpretations" of specific passages like theological course if you treat it like a book. Religious education is not specifically dogmatic, not sure exactly what April e& think but my religious education start with Plato and winded up around Calvin, it was mostly critical reading, dogma was entirely separate; catechism etc.

It could be good, but instead everyone will bury their heads in the sand and scream about it like children who dont get their own way.

Last edited:
In order to completely understand what America is, where it came from, and who its people are, one must understand the Bible. It is deeply ingrained in our national character and history. Like it or not. It isn't about conversion.

Last edited:
My family gets angry at me because I don't view the bible the same way they do. They argue it's the word of God and I ask them to show me written by God anywhere on the bible. I try to explain by their definition than anything I write down can said to be written by God. It's around that time that they say they will pray for my soul. I usually ask if they can pray for me some money too but that typically just pisses them off.

In order to completely understand what America is, where it came from, and who its people are, one must understand the Bible. It is deeply ingrained in our national character and history. Like it or not. It isn't about conversion.

Yes, the bible is the finest how-to guide for setting up a representative federal government ever penned.

Vote or we will pelt you with stones and sacrifice 18 small children selected randomly from within your community.

Yes, the bible is the finest how-to guide for setting up a representative federal government ever penned.

Christian charity, equality of man etc. not specific to the bible but a major part of british thinking at the time.

Cf. Confusicius-ism in china in the same period, not really a religion but their philosophical cornerstone.

When I was in middle school I remember my biology teacher saying negative things about evolution.

You cannot trust teachers to be unbiased about the teachings.

The law is incredibly unclear now that I look it up. Probably was supposed to support some kind of protestant agenda but knee jerk reactions like this thread so ably demonstrates are just as bad. Omg religion bad blah blah blah etc. No one has a problem with state supported Atheism, a dogma I remember some public school teachers relishing.
I really doubt it was a protestant agenda for this one.

Im against mandated education in the first place, just like compulsory testing it just isnt good. Schools are supposed to be local and under the control of the people who use them. Either way back on topic.
Holy cow I couldn't disagree more. So just educating people in Iowa ONLY how to grow corn more efficiently because that is what all of the locals concern themselves with is a good idea?

Religious education or bible reading isnt the same as sunday school. Bible is a unique book, large parts of it are contemporary historic accounts and it has had a major impact on western culture. You aren't going to get away with teaching "interpretations" of specific passages like theological course if you treat it like a book. Religious education is not specifically dogmatic, not sure exactly what April e& think but my religious education start with Plato and winded up around Calvin, it was mostly critical reading, dogma was entirely separate; catechism etc.

It could be good, but instead everyone will bury their heads in the sand and scream about it like children who dont get their own way.

The only thing I am "screaming" about is the incompleteness of the curriculum with regard to religion in general. Teaching English class with the Bible being one of the summer reading books is fine and probably should be done. Teaching about the Bible for religious reasons is starting to get a bit off the wall. Teaching flat out religion only based on one book for one belief system is not good for anyone.

I really doubt it was a protestant agenda for this one.
Most christian fundamentalists are protestant.
The term fundamentalist has historically referred specifically to members of the various Protestant denominations who subscribed to the five "fundamentals",
One of them is biblical literalism.

Holy cow I couldn't disagree more. So just educating people in Iowa ONLY how to grow corn more efficiently because that is what all of the locals concern themselves with is a good idea?
Right cause that is going to happen... Arbitrary standards are hideous mess for a country this size. Relevant education outside basic topics is pretty flexible. Also having iron government control of education it just cant be good. You need to know math, english and science, everything else is too subjective to leave to the will of the political process.

The only thing I am "screaming" about is the incompleteness of the curriculum with regard to religion in general. Teaching English class with the Bible being one of the summer reading books is fine and probably should be done. Teaching about the Bible for religious reasons is starting to get a bit off the wall. Teaching flat out religion only based on one book for one belief system is not good for anyone.
Right...

the funny part is you're always trying to push your beleifs onto others, yet when christians do it...

Not pushing a belief but rather referencing freedom of and from religion as specified by the governing document as a citizen of the US

Not pushing a belief but rather referencing freedom of and from religion as specified by the governing document as a citizen of the US
"Restrict the free exercise of" is a lot more about not having your particular flavor of kool aid banned than it is about denying everyone the ability to have whatever kool aid they want anywhere they want.

This is starting to bore me. The point is that restricting all kool aid is just as bad as restricting some kool aid. Though there is no point in having some kool aid if no one wants it.

In my mind, I hear YOUR voice saying this and it makes it even funnier.

What can I say? There were several languages in play at all times in my family home, and I ended up focusing on sarcasm and broken english.

... if only I'd had knowed... I might have chosen more wisely.