Ontopic Games Thread of love

So a buddy of mine does some military training stuff down the street from us. They have a whole room setup with a Vive. Just saw my first VR. Holy shit was that awesome.

As much as it's mostly just collected dust as it wasn't as enjoyable as I had hoped, I'd still really like to check out Elite Dangerous in VR.

• Gravy
Reactions: my little brony
Since the game I hoped would be the amazing space VR adventure is making more and more like it's gonna be perpetual vaporware, it'll have to do.

How Chris Roberts fell so far from who he was to becoming the Kickstarter version of Bobby Kotick is beyond me, but he's definitely figured out how the fuck to get people to pay astronomical sums for digital product that costs as much as some DLC but only adds 1 model and 1 texture set into the game for each purchase on a platform that is still in Beta.

BTW, they had an 'active shooter' program that they wrote themselves that was pretty neat too. It was a school, kids bleeding everywhere, screaming, etc. It was pretty fucking crazy.

Sounds like a typical Saturday night in your house.

FBI has had those since the 80s. I trained on a couple of em back in the day. They were pretty ghetto considering todays world, but it was still complicated. Active projection with duck hunt equivalent type tracking for shot, except the gun you were shooting was a real sidearm, retrofitting to air recoil and "sound".

They run some interesting scenarios. The two i remember where most people failed were a domestic violence call where the dude is standing in his front door, and reaches his hand just outside the door frame when he has his hands up, if you dont detect it, or act quickly enough, he comes back with a handgun and fires on you. The other is a active attempted murder type scenario, where you bust through the door, and you see the perp actively chasing the victim around a corner with knife raised. There is almost no way to hit him before he goes out of view, and the "win" is to anticipate that, and shoot through the corner wall.

For the tech of the time, pretty solid training tools.

• Gravy
Reactions: my little brony
The first time I put the headset on, the guys were telling me to go over 'here'. Because your brain totally thinks you're looking at the real world, I started walking and instantly ran into a chair. So fucking weird.

i've punched the coffee table so many times in the past two days :lol:

I did that tech demo at best buy, it was my first time in VR and I was blown away by how quickly my brain just accepted the reality of the new world

True story, my first experience with VR was in a nightclub in Denver where they set up an interactive VR room.

The game.

Dactyl Nightmare..