First 9/11 themed movie

ERage said:
You are just validating what elpmis said, Fox is a Conservative network.
I didn't disagree with elpmis, also, that was a completly seperate point. Focusing on the "Holywood Liberals" comment by Knyte

Galen said:
To a country that was founded on Liberalism, wouldn't an American Conservative be only really 'desiring' to conserve Liberalism? Wouldn't that make them -all- liberals?

Supporting laissez fair economics is a conservative stance too, according to some people I've talked to...

Perhaps people shouldn't be educated about ideology by a demagogue TV station.
Modern day Liberalism isn't particularly the same way it was when the states was founded. And the same can be said for the republican party. Although I see what you're saying, yes the big picture of freedom remains - that concept is on both sides of the spectrum. Without getting into lengthy debate, times have changed. For example, although I am a registered repubican as I type this, had I been alive, say, in 1961, I promise you I would have been a registered democrat.

elpmis said:
Right, well Fox News is heavily leaning on the republican/right-wing/conservative side of the American politcal affiliation spectrum. MSNBC, and CNN are a tad bit more towards the left, as are many of the countries' best newspapers (New York Times, Washington Post, etc.) You'll see the hate both ways really, just so long as you're subjecting yourself to all media outlets evenly
True, but what I was really aiming at was the fact that "Liberal" is now used as a term of abuse whereas "Conservative" is a sought-after badge of 'intellectuals' falsely believing that it connotates respectability, manners etc. that these "Liberal" animals do not possess, they just want to take away your jobs and ship them off to India.

elpmis said:
Modern day Liberalism isn't particularly the same way it was when the states was founded. And the same can be said for the republican party. Although I see what you're saying, yes the big picture of freedom remains - that concept is on both sides of the spectrum. Without getting into lengthy debate, times have changed. For example, although I am a registered repubican as I type this, had I been alive, say, in 1961, I promise you I would have been a registered democrat.
Agreed and agreed. That's not what this thread was about. :D

Also, I am a member of the UK Conservative party. I just don't take unwarrented mud-slinging at Liberals without really understanding what they're on about lightly.

Galen said:
True, but what I was really aiming at was the fact that "Liberal" is now used as a term of abuse whereas "Conservative" is a sought-after badge of 'intellectuals' falsely believing that it connotates respectability, manners etc. that these "Liberal" animals do not possess, they just want to take away your jobs and ship them off to India.
too be honest, living in the states, "Liberals" are actually considered the more bookish, well read type, and are also considered more humanistic - seeking refuge for the troops from the war, and eliminating any speck of racism in the work place, etc. THey also champion more scientific research: stem cell, a cure for aids, etc.

If anything "Conservatives" are considered the animals, they are thought of as war mongers and preach religion that keeps science away from progressing, etc, etc

edit: and that's not even talking about gun control

Last edited:
Galen said:
Agreed and agreed. That's not what this thread was about. :D

Also, I am a member of the UK Conservative party. I just don't take unwarrented mud-slinging at Liberals without really understanding what they're on about lightly.
Well this thread was about my disgust for Hollywood trying to make a dollar off our national tragedy, liberal or not, in my opinion the movie concept disgusts me

elpmis said:
too be honest, living in the states, "Liberals" are actually considered the more bookish, well read type, and are also considered more humanistic - seeking refuge for the troops from the war, and eliminating any speck of racism in the work place, etc. THey also champion more scientific research: stem cell, a cure for aids, etc.

If anything "Conservatives" are considered the animals, they are thought of as war mongers and preach religion that keeps science away from progressing, etc, etc
Hmm. I was basing my tirade on American TV, news and a few writings on the subject as well as the general consensus on the net.
Just a casual outside observer, but that's how it appears to me.

Ideology has all but been eradicated in UK politics, there's nothing I can really compare it to here. Either way you look at it, they're both "Catch All" parties.

elpmis said:
Well this thread was about my disgust for Hollywood trying to make a dollar off our national tragedy, liberal or not, in my opinion the movie concept disgusts me
well, I can agree with that. Even as someone not from the US, I have strong feelings about the 11th of September. It's not really a novel matter.

Galen said:
Hmm. I was basing my tirade on American TV, news and a few writings on the subject as well as the general consensus on the net.
Just a casual outside observer, but that's how it appears to me.

Ideology has all but been eradicated in UK politics, there's nothing I can really compare it to here. Either way you look at it, they're both "Catch All" parties.
I don't know if republicans and democrats are purely guilty of populism

I'm only saying that because if you walk up to any given american on the street they don't really have diverse viewpoints - they are either pro choice or they aren't (towards abortion) - they either favor gun control or they don't, etc. etc.

They either vote democratic, or they vote republican because the dividing line is crystal clear

If that wasn't the case the infamous "independent party" (yes there is a third, pretty much a hybrid of the two) would win more votes, but it doesn't

I agree US government officials can come across as having no ideological conviction or clear policy goal, but that's just because they are so influenced by the other various branches of government once they become President and never follow through with anything... or spending runs out

Galen said:
well, I can agree with that. Even as someone not from the US, I have strong feelings about the 11th of September. It's not really a novel matter.
Interesting, and agreed!

elpmis said:
I don't know if republicans and democrats are purely guilty of populism

I'm only saying that because if you walk up to any given american on the street they don't really have diverse viewpoints - they are either pro choice or they aren't (towards abortion) - they either favor gun control or they don't, etc. etc.

They either vote democratic, or they vote republican because the dividing line is crystal clear

If that wasn't the case the infamous "independent party" (yes there is a third, pretty much a hybrid of the two) would win more votes, but it doesn't

I agree US government officials can come across as having no ideological conviction or clear policy goal, but that's just because they are so influenced by the other various branches of government once they become President and never follow through with anything... or spending runs out
Nice description elpmis, I'll have to steal that from you and use it the next time I get a chance :D

Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Oh and since this forum is mainly American, it's only a matter of time before someone disagrees with everything I said in here - not that this wouldn't happen anywhere else in the world. Well, except for China.

PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY

pa said:
PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY PIZZAPARTY
normally I'm all for the insanity, but I took some time to come up with this thread - you gonna add anything worthwhile to it?

elpmis said:

We all knew it was only a matter of time. They make movies out of everything they can. Look at Pearl Harbor and World War 2 (and 1, and Vietnam, Somalia, etc).

Those events were tragic as well, yet we all sit back and enjoy the movies made from them.

kiwi said:
We all knew it was only a matter of time. They make movies out of everything they can. Look at Pearl Harbor and World War 2 (and 1, and Vietnam, Somalia, etc).

Those events were tragic as well, yet we all sit back and enjoy the movies made from them.

You forgot about Star Wars.