Ontopic FIFA World Cup 2010

i'm a bit melancholy today. so thank you for the explanation that made me laugh. pause.

No problem, and sorry today's not the best day for you.

Here's a video of the disallowed goal. (Mute your computer as the sound is just music). It says offsides, but was then ruled a foul

Last edited by a moderator:
It did look like the shaved headed US player was offside. He was not the eventual recipient of the ball though he was very close and could have played a factor in the outcome. This is not the worst miscall by far, though for Americans who do not genuinely understand the game, it will seem much worse than it really is.

It did look like the shaved headed US player was offside. He was not the eventual recipient of the ball though he was very close and could have played a factor in the outcome. This is not the worst miscall by far, though for Americans who do not genuinely understand the game, it will seem much worse than it really is.

The brits said it was a disatrous call. FIFA says it was a disastrous call. But because it happened to Americans, it's only bad because we don't understand the game? :wtf: And we're not saying it's the worst miscall ever, but it did directly affect what happens in this World Cup.

Then these world class refs are idiots. Period. But that still doesnt exonerate these sissy players for crying at every touch and goal. This is no man's sport.

They're not idiots as such, just incompetent and unable to see all events which happen in the match. We really need video replays etc to be introduced for controversial decisions, however it doesn't look like this will happen due to it supposedly ruining the flow of the game and taking away from the ref's authority.

Oh and about diving: it is a disgrace but not really for the reason you seem to think. It's not that players are "sissies" who are hurt at every slight contact. It's the fact that (especially in the Latin countries, but it happens everywhere) they always fake injury or fall over in the box to get a penalty/free kick/the other side's player booked. So it's really nothing to do with it not being a "tough man's game" or whatever, people are just being cheating bastards and should be punished.

They're not idiots as such, just incompetent and unable to see all events which happen in the match. We really need video replays etc to be introduced for controversial decisions, however it doesn't look like this will happen due to it supposedly ruining the flow of the game and taking away from the ref's authority.

Oh and about diving: it is a disgrace but not really for the reason you seem to think. It's not that players are "sissies" who are hurt at every slight contact. It's the fact that (especially in the Latin countries, but it happens everywhere) they always fake injury or fall over in the box to get a penalty/free kick/the other side's player booked. So it's really nothing to do with it not being a "tough man's game" or whatever, people are just being cheating bastards and should be punished.

Whatever, I still think they are a bunch of crying, whining, pussy-assed pansies who can't take a hit. Real men don't fall down and cry to cheat. Real men wouldn't consider that as an option.

That's not acceptable. I have no idea how fans can put up with this shit.

Well, that's why I mentioned about the possible introduction of video technology and extra officials (the latter of which they already tried in certain competitions).

Having said that, I can say that in matches where I am a neutral (i.e. not supporting either team), the controversial decisions add some element of drama to proceedings, which is part of the attraction of football to me. Clearly the feeling is different when it's my team it effects. However even in a league season, it's generally considered (whether this is true or not) that such decisions 'even themselves out' in that some of them benefit our team, and others benefit the opponent, so it's "OK" over the whole season.

Not saying this is ideal btw - just my general thoughts.