Thread EErrrrrmmehhhgerddddd

like "how could people believe in this stuff in this day and age" kind of thing?

if that's it, the answer I usually give is it makes my life much more enjoyable, not necessarily the "belief" part but the rituals and rules that go with it ( the problem is without the belief, exceptions would be made which would weaken the rules and over time they wouldn't be rules anymore but "things we used to do")

right, and this is what we discussed. it was much more than that though....quite the long dinner conversation. not sure what drove it...probably the holidays.

hers was more the "we're not that far removed from the salem witch trials in the name of christianity, and the crusades....and jihadist beliefs...and multi-million dollar lutheran churches popping up the size ofshopping malls........etc... how can people still believe that their god is the only god and that everyone else is wrong? who is to say that they aren't all wrong?"

Then again, who is to say at least some of them aren't right?

Just because yet another diety in a long line of human dietys was corrupted in the name of profit doesn't change any fact about the diety itself, just the people using his existence, or the claim of his existence, to further their own goals.

Then again, who is to say at least some of them aren't right?

Just because yet another diety in a long line of human dietys was corrupted in the name of profit doesn't change any fact about the diety itself, just the people using his existence, or the claim of his existence, to further their own goals.

sure, but which diety is the one true "god"?

or did the native americans have it right?

or the ancient egyptians?

the mayans?

or the jews?

who has it right?!?

sure, but which diety is the one true "god"?

or did the native americans have it right?

or the ancient egyptians?

the mayans?

or the jews?

who has it right?!?

how about if God is the same God and all mentioned are trying to reach it... as if it God is the center of a sphere and the religions are mere paths to the center, all different paths but all attempting to reach a similar goal

if we all start out in different places (ideologically, physically, culturally) it would be illogical if the same path would work for all to reach the same point

how about if God is the same God and all mentioned are trying to reach it... as if it God is the center of a sphere and the religions are mere paths to the center, all different paths but all attempting to reach a similar goal

if we all start out in different places (ideologically, physically, culturally) it would be illogical if the same path would work for all to reach the same point

would it though....are you sure?

would it though....are you sure?

of that I am sure... I've talked with too many intelligent honest people who have found spirituality in so many different activities that I cannot believe one path is made for all

there maybe overlap like not killing, raping or committing adultery but beyond negatives, positive actions differ immensely (many ortho people would disagree with this premise)

of that I am sure... I've talked with too many intelligent honest people who have found spirituality in so many different activities that I cannot believe one path is made for all

there maybe overlap like not killing, raping or committing adultery but beyond negatives, positive actions differ immensely (many ortho people would disagree with this premise)
you do realize certain religions are okay with these highlighted issues....no?

who says they are wrong?

you do realize certain religions are okay with these highlighted issues....no?

who says they are wrong?

I don't know of any religion that is actually okay with rape and adultery... also in terms of killing, I think killing does not lead one closer to God unless it is for the "need" of society in that the person would cause continued harm to the society if kept alive (I'm not against the death penalty despite this comment)

now it's sticky in that say some sects of Islam believe that heretics (people outside of sect) are continually damaging society and deserve death.... who is to say they are wrong? Every aspect of who I am and what I have found to be spiritual goes against what they do as a path... weak argument but it's what I got right now

I don't know of any religion that is actually okay with rape and adultery... also in terms of killing, I think killing does not lead one closer to God unless it is for the "need" of society in that the person would cause continued harm to the society if kept alive (I'm not against the death penalty despite this comment)

now it's sticky in that say some sects of Islam believe that heretics (people outside of sect) are continually damaging society and deserve death.... who is to say they are wrong? Every aspect of who I am and what I have found to be spiritual goes against what they do as a path... weak argument but it's what I got right now

pretty sure rape is a-okay in the religion of peace

There becomes the question.

If there is an afterlife, what if it's just a big collection of formless entities that respond to your discussion of your time on earth as 'yeah, we refer to that as retard time'

that sounds pretty awesome to me.

What's the point of that? It's not like there is a keg party waiting for us at the end.

Or 72 virgins for that matter.

What's the point of that? It's not like there is a keg party waiting for us at the end.

Or 72 virgins for that matter.

this life right now is more enjoyable... I don't do what I do for a reward after I die... I celebrate the sabbath (as an example) because it makes my life more relaxing and meaningful and filled with family and friends, no reward necessary beyond this life

this life right now is more enjoyable... I don't do what I do for a reward after I die... I celebrate the sabbath (as an example) because it makes my life more relaxing and meaningful and filled with family and friends, no reward necessary beyond this life

see, that would be nice to have. I used to go to church, but at some point it just became something i didnt like at all. It was either a lecture about shit that just made sense already and that i didnt need reiterated to me, or some sort of negative message about who to hate at the moment.

Tried going back to a nondenominational christian church about a month ago, and at least 4 times during the hour long service the priestdude made sure to point out how the jewish people were all going to hell because they didnt believe in jesus, and that they were at fault for the worlds evils. What the fuck, over. I came really close to walking out of that one.