Deconstruction

insulate the walls with newspaper and cover the walls with cardboard and duct tape. Then paint it. It'd set you back less than $20. It'd be a bit more flammable, but you'd be gettin' it on the cheap.

I'd check contruction sites for scrap drywall. If you can get all your drywall, a box of screws and some mud will be less than $20.

400sqft room isn't gonna take more than 20+ sheets. If your at the contruction sites, you could also look for paneling. Or, you could buy paneling to start with. I'm sure you can find some for less than $20 a 4x8 sheet.

Wanna go real cheap? Go to the dump and get some currogated metal.

Yeah you could also hit the scrap piles at construction sites too. Lotta times they throw nearly full sheets of plywood in there. I decked the attic in my house that way.

insulate the walls with newspaper and cover the walls with cardboard and duct tape. Then paint it. It'd set you back less than $20. It'd be a bit more flammable, but you'd be gettin' it on the cheap.

I'd check contruction sites for scrap drywall. If you can get all your drywall, a box of screws and some mud will be less than $20.

400sqft room isn't gonna take more than 20+ sheets. If your at the contruction sites, you could also look for paneling. Or, you could buy paneling to start with. I'm sure you can find some for less than $20 a 4x8 sheet.

Wanna go real cheap? Go to the dump and get some currogated metal.

Friend works at construction supply place, 30% discount. Need 14 sheets of 4'x12" which includes 5% waste and 8 sheets of 4'x8' which includes 15% waste. Need about 500 screws, have 200lbs of compound, need tape. Have tools for that job.

Fixing the framing is the problem. It's built "on slab" which is very rare around here (we have basements or crawlspaces), all the sills are rotted to hell. I just jacked up the corner in the pictures about an inch to replace it with pressure treated lumber. That needs to be done in several other places before I can start finishing it because drywall cracks and windows break when you jack up structures.

I did get two Andersen windows for $50 a piece. Which was a steal. They dropped them and they got scuffed so the people didnt want them. Same size as the ones in there.

Subflooring is going to be the single largest expense. Need 18 sheets of tounge and groove plywood @ $15 a piece and 2 sheets of cement board (for around the door) @ $20 a piece. I can get the parents to pitch in once stuff starts coming together though.

so, how's the project going?

It's going good. Had to take a few weeks off because of the snow though. After removing insulation from another wall I found the sill rotted there so I had to get the stuff to make a new one.

Unfortunately this wall is load bearing so it took a couple days to figure out how to rig up the proper bracketing to support it on one jack and an 8' 4x4. It's all set and the new sill is prepped to go in but I need people to help me with it and that help hasnt been forthcoming because of the weather.

I also bought 4 new windows (There are only 6 windows in the place) to replace the larger rotten ones (the other two are casements and my parents are being pressured to buy them under the threat I'll just take the old ones out and board up the openings).

Pulled out all the wiring for the electric heaters. Pulled the outlets and wiring back from studs that need replacing. Removed all the drywall scrap to the dump (there werent any pics but out front was about 45, 50 gal, bags full of drywall and nails). The ceiling hasnt come down yet but that is simply a wait for the weather to clear up a bit (only insulation left, if I pull it out the one lonely propane heater will cease to keep the sewer lines from freezing).

Once I get the structural dependent pieces taken care of (likely this weekend) and tear down half the ceiling. It'll take maybe one day to insulate and drywall. The floor is slightly more complicated because the slab isnt level and attaching the furring to it will take some dedicated effort.

The first room there will be done April-ish. The other (not pictured) has all my retriveable property in it so that all has to be cleaned and moved into the first room. Then the other room has to be gutted and redone in a similar fashion, but it should go much faster with better weather. There is also the bathroom... Which I frankly dont care about. If someone funds me I'll make it habitable, but the bathroom in the house Im sat in now is about ready to fall through the floor so... I've actually never lived in a house with a fully completed bathroom. Right now the one here has a toilet and shower but no sink and upstairs is a broken toilet but a working sink.

My other options include: joining the French Foreign Legion (twice vetoed by my friends), and moving out.

There's still such a thing as the French Foreign Legion? I thought it was wiped out by syphilis long ago.

It's going good. Had to take a few weeks off because of the snow though. After removing insulation from another wall I found the sill rotted there so I had to get the stuff to make a new one.

Unfortunately this wall is load bearing so it took a couple days to figure out how to rig up the proper bracketing to support it on one jack and an 8' 4x4. It's all set and the new sill is prepped to go in but I need people to help me with it and that help hasnt been forthcoming because of the weather.

I also bought 4 new windows (There are only 6 windows in the place) to replace the larger rotten ones (the other two are casements and my parents are being pressured to buy them under the threat I'll just take the old ones out and board up the openings).

Pulled out all the wiring for the electric heaters. Pulled the outlets and wiring back from studs that need replacing. Removed all the drywall scrap to the dump (there werent any pics but out front was about 45, 50 gal, bags full of drywall and nails). The ceiling hasnt come down yet but that is simply a wait for the weather to clear up a bit (only insulation left, if I pull it out the one lonely propane heater will cease to keep the sewer lines from freezing).

Once I get the structural dependent pieces taken care of (likely this weekend) and tear down half the ceiling. It'll take maybe one day to insulate and drywall. The floor is slightly more complicated because the slab isnt level and attaching the furring to it will take some dedicated effort.

The first room there will be done April-ish. The other (not pictured) has all my retriveable property in it so that all has to be cleaned and moved into the first room. Then the other room has to be gutted and redone in a similar fashion, but it should go much faster with better weather. There is also the bathroom... Which I frankly dont care about. If someone funds me I'll make it habitable, but the bathroom in the house Im sat in now is about ready to fall through the floor so... I've actually never lived in a house with a fully completed bathroom. Right now the one here has a toilet and shower but no sink and upstairs is a broken toilet but a working sink.

My other options include: joining the French Foreign Legion (twice vetoed by my friends), and moving out.

TLDR

Pics of you in the spring/summer working on this all hot and sweaty and dirty shirtless with holes in jeans and wearing a tool belt please.

:drool:

Pics of you in the spring/summer working on this all hot and sweaty and dirty shirtless with holes in jeans and wearing a tool belt please.

:drool:
Do you see me asking for pics of the girls on here? I thought not.